Having owned a 9300 recently which had a crappy trackpad that barely responds unless I place a tissue over it, then owning a 9800 which was nice but still, the trackpad wasn't as responsive as the trackpads in the 9700 and the 8520, does the 9780 suffer from the same symptoms or is the trackpad just as good as the 9700?

Honest opinions please
    11-08-10 10:09 AM
    Both of my 9780 trackpads worked as well as my 9700 trackpads, with out flaw.
    11-08-10 10:57 AM
    Good news, I don't know what's up with the 9300s and 9800s? the 9300 are all prone to shipping with a defective trackpad that sticks your finger to it so you cant scroll without placing a piece of cloth over it, then only it would be smooth.

The 9800 is much better but not how it should be, I thought newer devices should be better right? heh.....

Thanks for telling me that the 9780 doesn't have that defect

Cheers

Matrix Leader
    11-08-10 11:06 AM
    Good news, I don't know what's up with the 9300s and 9800s? the 9300 are all prone to shipping with a defective trackpad that sticks your finger to it so you cant scroll without placing a piece of cloth over it, then only it would be smooth.

The 9800 is much better but not how it should be, I thought newer devices should be better right? heh.....

Thanks for telling me that the 9780 doesn't have that defect

Cheers

Matrix Leader
    the trackpads are all the same technology.
    The issues being seen can pretty much be directly related to software and settings.

Some people say the trackpads are different, but the only thing that is different is the connections used on the motherboard.
    11-08-10 11:23 AM
    The issues being seen can pretty much be directly related to software and settings.

Some people say the trackpads are different, but the only thing that is different is the connections used on the motherboard.

But can RIM be that lame to release a phone brand new without even checking such a major factor like the trackpad? The brand new 9300 I got literally did nothing if I swiped my finger over it! I had to put a cloth on it, then only would it perform properly.
    11-08-10 11:28 AM
    no problems with my 9780
    11-08-10 04:02 PM
    But can RIM be that lame to release a phone brand new without even checking such a major factor like the trackpad? The brand new 9300 I got literally did nothing if I swiped my finger over it! I had to put a cloth on it, then only would it perform properly.
    Apple was lame enough to release a phone with the perimeter as an antenna!

If there was a HUGE trackpad problem, we would be reading about it here. It is just not an issue with the 9700, 9800 or 9780.
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 11-09-10 at 05:22 AM.
    11-08-10 04:43 PM

and one other difference is the 1diot outside the phone using track pad with sweaty fingers..... :-)
    11-08-10 08:26 PM
    After a week of use I found the trackpad is much better and mush faster than the trackball. The trackball on my Bold 9000 was slow and not that responsive. When I first switched to the 9780 the trackpad was too responsive. I turned the settings down to acclimatize myself to the speed.
    11-09-10 04:47 PM
    For those with 9780s, i too recently bought it. Its my first blackberry and im wondering how the trackpad button feels like for others. Mine feels somewhat mushy, not crisp like the keys.
    11-09-10 04:53 PM
    No problem on my end along with my 9700
    11-11-10 04:13 PM
    Well, this thread just shows that some people don't know what they are talking about.

The TrackPad's themselves are ALL THE SAME on ALL of the phones. Now, the mounting brackets and connectors are different to make it harder to swap them between devices like you could the trackballs on the 8100, 8300, 8900, 9000........

But, the actual TrackPad itself is the same. Same technology, all built at the same place. It's just, when they roll down the line, this batch goes to one place to get put into brackets for 9700, that batch get's put into brackets for the 9800, next batch to the 9780 line... and so on.

If one does not feel responsive to you, you either have a defective trackpad, or you need to adjust the sensitivity of it in the options.

So, quit posting CRAP THREADS all over the site about what you don't know.
    11-15-10 09:57 AM
    Well, this thread just shows that some people don't know what they are talking about.

The TrackPad's themselves are ALL THE SAME on ALL of the phones. Now, the mounting brackets and connectors are different to make it harder to swap them between devices like you could the trackballs on the 8100, 8300, 8900, 9000........

But, the actual TrackPad itself is the same. Same technology, all built at the same place. It's just, when they roll down the line, this batch goes to one place to get put into brackets for 9700, that batch get's put into brackets for the 9800, next batch to the 9780 line... and so on.

If one does not feel responsive to you, you either have a defective trackpad, or you need to adjust the sensitivity of it in the options.

So, quit posting CRAP THREADS all over the site about what you don't know.
    You may want to take your own advice there, buddy.

The "physical" trackpad component may be the same, but that doesn't mean they are all manufactured equally. This is my 2nd 9780 and the sensitivity on this one is definitely different... and I don't mean the sensitivity you adjust for scrolling speed. The IR sensor on my new one is more sensitive in that I can hover my finger a millimeter or so over the actual pad and have my cursor move. My first 9780 that I returned was not as sensitive because I would have to physically have my finger touch the pad in order for it to sense what I was doing. So, they are capable of being different.

I hate when people complain about others, yet do it themselves.
    11-15-10 06:51 PM
    @Tary: I don't quite understand the problem you get with your 1st one. Did you mean u have to tap the trackpad to make it "sense" your finger?
    11-15-10 07:16 PM
    @Tary: I don't quite understand the problem you get with your 1st one. Did you mean u have to tap the trackpad to make it "sense" your finger?
    Oh, no there was nothing actually wrong with the trackpad on my 1st one. I just meant in comparison to my current one, it actually required me to glide my finger along the pad (which is perfectly normal and expected). This one, I can ever so slightly hover above the trackpad (i.e. not physically touch it) and it can pick up / sense my finger movement. It's not the reason why I returned the 1st one though
    11-15-10 08:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD