I did
    Alt+nmll on my new 9780, and I can see

Can some one explain

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-10 09:50 AM
    -60 is your received signal strength in dBm. That's a very very strong signal. You must be quite close to a tower. For reference, I'm showing -82. The smaller the absolute value of the reading, the better the signal. -60 is much better than -82. I don't know what the -2 refers to. I don't have a second number on my Tour.
    12-25-10 09:56 AM
    -60 is your received signal strength in dBm. That's a very very strong signal. You must be quite close to a tower. For reference, I'm showing -82. The smaller the absolute value of the reading, the better the signal. -60 is much better than -82. I don't know what the -2 refers to. I don't have a second number on my Tour.
    Thanks,
    I am using 9780. OS6

12-25-10 10:05 AM
    What's the range for the dBm?

12-25-10 02:14 PM
    The second # is your wifi signal strength
    Didn't you notice that the WiFi and Signa bar dissapearred when you hit alt NMLL?

12-25-10 02:16 PM
    What's the range for the dBm?

12-25-10 02:22 PM
    I think -60 may be the largest value displayed. I've never seen a value larger than -80, but I think CDMA devices and GSM devices may use different scales. The smallest reading I've seen on my Tour is -110. Since dBm is a log scale, -80 to -110 represents a 1000X variation in power.

12-25-10 02:37 PM
    The -2 is for wifi
    Os 6 messed up the whole function of nmll

The wifi indicator will now only display the first number. The rest is cut off which makes this useless when trying to figure out wifi strength

The mobile network strength indicator will only show the first two numbers. So if your rssi is -105 dbm, it will only show -10

Aside from nmll, you can go into the status of your phone and check the readings. However you should note that the 3G indicator is completely useless, whether or not you are using nmll. On 3G, you will only see: -70, -81, -89, -92 (I think) and -120. I am not in bad coverage to get you exact numbers but you basically have an idea. These are inacurate readings and I hope rim fixes this.

12-25-10 02:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD