i for one like the OS 6 on my 9650 Bold/Tour 2 and there is a learning curve to it but i will say that the web browsing itself is a lot better than 5.0 was. even though it's buggy i've used every 5.0 OS when it was out and 6.0 isn't as buggy as 5.0 is/was.
    09-26-10 12:49 PM
    Update from my last post here . . . I had more time to play around today then when I upgraded to OS 6 and then rolled back.

Go figure . . . I put 6.0 on again today and every thing so far runs flawless.
    Yes, still have no video light but I can wait for the fix in the official upgrade.

I did start off with a fresh 6.0 down load after I deleted the one from last weeks. It did not give me a choice as when I went to delete it my choice was repair or uninstall.

Once I saw everything was running OK I followed up with overwriting the 246 hybrid.

So now, after my second time upgrading . . . for me, at least with the apps I care about: email, sms, mms BBM, the web, Wifi, calendar, contacts . . . so far all my apps work fine. This has to be the smoothest OS upgrade leak I've ever seen. Which probably means except for a few minor bugs the official release can't be far behind.
    09-26-10 08:03 PM
    I'm done debating about operating systems that have nothing to do with BlackBerry devices. As I said, I regret every bringing it up.
    Not to mention confusing several different issues that are only related superficially.

My statements about OS6 don't require me to have run it: The browser lacks column view, and isn't faster than the old one. It breaks some basic html code standards (try viewing a simple Alt-text tag using it)- which is why I compared it to Opera. Pages do load in 'tiles,' regardless of why that is. The new GUI interface is (IMO), cramped, busy, makes using a wallpaper almost pointless, and currently there isn't much we can do about it (which I'm sure will change when themes start being made). None of this needs me to have an OS6 device in front of me, and yet it's all still fact. Hence my starting this thread.
    I'd say it's faster. Not "holy sh!t this is fast!" or anything like that, but the phone takes less time to "settle" after a reboot/battery pull. That has to count for something. Before it'd take like an hour for the phone to reach optimal performance. Now it's more like 5-10 minutes. How is that not a worthwhile improvement?

I also don't know why it is people seem to think that a company buys some other company, and then the next day it will magically be integrated into the existing system.

It takes time for developers at (in this case) RIM to become familiar with the new webkit code, and the company bought to become familiar with the BBOS code. Apple has been developing Webkit since around 2003-2004, and the early versions of Safari sucked pretty badly as Apple's programmers worked on wrapping their heads around KHTML which makes up the core of Webkit. Like Internet Explorer, which was just a modified version of a Mosaic splinter project, it took until about version 3 before it really reached a usable state.

This is another one of those foundation improvement things. The old web browser was old and decrepit, greatly limiting what was possible. The new web browser provides the necessary foundation to make significant headway in the future. Right now it's more or less at feature parity from previously. And sometimes, the fault is with the user for failing to adapt to new paradigms. You ever look at how much bad advice is STILL floating around regarding things like cell phone and laptop batteries? Advice for NiCd batteries, like avoiding memory, and all this calibration nonsense that pretty much went out the window 5-10 years ago. Have you considered that maybe there's no need for the column view in the new browser, or that maybe you were one of a small minority of people who actually used it? You may find a large number of people HERE who use it, but every single person here probably makes up less than 0.01% of all BB users worldwide.

Yes, from reading the comments of other valued Crackberry members, I have considered that perhaps battery life may not be quite as good. I've inferred that more overhead would be needed / OS6 isn't faster than OS5 based on the well-publicized and oft talked about memory limitations of the older devices.
    Times change, customer expectations change with them. Believe it or not, there was a time when cell phones were just phones. They didn't do anything else. Now they're part laptop, part PDA, part MP3 player, and occasionally even a phone. So where exactly do we draw the line on what is and isn't simply bloat? Because by your line of reasoning, you could say that the first phone that did more than just make phone calls was unnecessarily bloated. I don't really know what the first non-phone app was, but I'd guess SMS was one of the first non-phone functions added. So, there we have feature creep by your reasoning. Now the phone is not just a phone, but also a pager. And what about color screens, or displays of any kind beyond showing you the phone number? That requires additional resources to power. More bloat by your line of reasoning. So, I'm not really sure why you're using a BB at all. You should have the single most basic cell phone offered, then a separate pager, PDA, laptop, and DS/PSP.

That is to say, where is the line drawn, and who gets to decide that is where the line should be drawn? You? Why not me, or some random guy walking down the street?

You might call my opinions 'uninformed' and 'talking out my arse', but there's some logical background to them, and obviously some others- even some who have run given OS6 a try- agree.
    I do believe I said a case could be made for that, as opposed to saying that is the case.

Besides, if it weren't for conjecture and individual opinions, we wouldn't even have an OS6 section on this forum at all. It was made just for that reason, before anyone could even legitimately run it. Really, I knew there would be some flaming going on, but you don't have to act like I'm an ignoramus painting up something I just heard of yesterday as the devil incarnate. I wonder if Honda fans crucify anyone who dares ask if the latest Civic is worth upgrading to!*

* -see, there's my car analogy I promised
    Have all the opinions you want, just recognize that not everyone is going to agree with them. If you're going to take it personally when someone doesn't think the same way you do, you should probably keep out of opinion related forums like this.
    09-27-10 11:20 AM

Column View on the Bold 9650 Running OS6. For all those that don't realize it can be done.
    09-28-10 05:29 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD