On my second Torch now. The first one had a "clacky or crunchy" screen and a wobble. This second one still has the wobble. Both Mexico 5.

I've read the threads on the wobble here but the wobble on both of my units are equally the same and I'm wondering if some play is normal given the slider is running in a track or channel???

When the screen is closed, the so-called wobble I'm experiencing is exhibited when you put your thumbs on the either side of the bottom of the screen and push it left-to-right. When the screen is extended and you hold the top part of the screen, it again feels like it is moving slightly left to right in its track. The amount of movement I'm talking about is maybe 1 mm if that.

It is more like a shimmy than a wobble per se in that if simply feels like there is a slight tolerance on either side of the slider walls or track that the slider rail must run along.

I'm almost thinking there has to be some side to side play or give otherwise the slider would be too tight in the track and the slider wouldn't easily run up and down the track or channels.

Are you guys with so-called non-wobbling sliders not experiencing any of this?
    11-03-10 11:54 PM
    Mine is exactly as you say, with 1 mm or so give (wobble is a bit strong) at the bottom when closed and top when open. But generally solid enough.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-10 12:10 AM
    Every single one I've tested in Rogers or have seen all appear to have this slight movement. I also looked at the tear down videos on Youtube and it seems like there should be some tolerance or play...but it wasn't that clear in the video to know for sure.
    11-04-10 12:31 AM
    I'm on my second Torch and it's exactly like yours.
    I stuck my company logo on the back of the slide and it doesn't wobble when it's closed, but there is still a small movement when it's open.
    both of my devices where Mexico 4.
    I also tried 3 more at the shop and they were all the same.
    so I'm trying to stop my obsession about it and enjoy the phone.

11-06-10 11:41 AM
    Maybe it's just in my head, but I think the clacking on mine is getting worse. It's really noticeable when the slider is open and I hit one of the physical buttons at the bottom of the screen. This portion of the screen rocks down and clacks, which you can hear and feel. Are you guys not experiencing this?

For reference, mine is a Mexico 5.
    Last edited by Karnov; 11-06-10 at 02:37 PM.
    11-06-10 02:31 PM
    For heavens sake do we really need another "wobble" / "wiggle" thread.

The phone has moving parts people. DEAL WITH IT. It does not affect function.
    11-06-10 02:37 PM
    Maybe it's just in my head, but I think the clacking on mine is getting worse. It's really noticeable when the slider is open and I hit one of the physical buttons at the bottom of the screen. This portion of the screen rocks down and clacks, which you can hear and feel. Are you guys not experiencing this?

I'd return it.

11-06-10 04:25 PM

+1
    Well said. No more needs to be said about this issue. Just search the forums and you'll find at least 5(I didn't search but I know of 5 off the top of my head I posted in) threads about this same issue.
    11-06-10 04:38 PM

I agree that more people should search first so we don't have so many repeating thread subjects.
    I disagree that anyone should accept it. Mine was really bad when opened, although it was snug when closed. I took it to Bell last Monday and they DOA'd it instantly. They said they are definitely not supposed to be that loose. Mine rattled and clacked (whatever you want to call it) as well.
    OP - return it...if you can.
    11-06-10 04:49 PM
    The distinction for starting this thread versus the earlier ones was to attempt to determine precisely if there is "any" movement in the devices used by users claiming there to be no movement whatsoever.

For example, I spoke to one forum member who posted his was tight but when I went through the above description he said that indeed there was some movement. I was looking for clarity on this single point from those users.

Having gathered some anecdotal evidence by observing say, 9-10 phones in the flesh and speaking to other owners, I'm beginning to think that a unit that is really tight without even 0.5-1.0 mm of play might be the manufacturing exception rather than the ideal and therefore possibly a the phone should not be tight or without any movement.

Therefore, I think it comes down to possibly the degree of looseness that is important. My partner's for example felt like the screen was actually going to fall off it wobbled so bad so clearly the phone was not designed to function in this manner.

I realize in other alluded to threads there is mention that other manufacturers have zero movement but I think this design is different based on the video on YT...but I'm not sure about that...just giving RIM the benefit of the doubt.
    11-06-10 06:12 PM

first Rogers Mexico 5 Torch had a less than reponsive mute key

second Rogers M5 one has this annoying clacking just as you have described! the first one did NOT have this issue!!!!

now what --- 3rd try the charm???? should i send it back?
    11-07-10 01:23 AM
    You might as well. The Mexico 5 manufacturing run seems to be spotty that Rogers has. My 2nd seems pretty good and doesn't have the clack - just the slight movement as described in the first post.
    11-07-10 01:07 AM
    first Rogers Mexico 5 Torch had a less than reponsive mute key

second Rogers M5 one has this annoying clacking just as you have described! the first one did NOT have this issue!!!!

now what --- 3rd try the charm???? should i send it back?
    If it's not too much of a hassle, I'd go for round 3.

I don't know how bad yours is, but I found the clacking on my units to be really annoying. I tried my best to ignore it, but it was painfully obvious whenever pushing the physical buttons while the slider was open.

I just went to the store where I purchased mine and had them test it versus another Torch. The other Torch had a bit of play, but it was definitely more solid with no clacking. I exchanged it and now I'm a happy camper. Interestingly enough, this new one is a Mexico 5 as well.

Good luck!
    11-08-10 06:27 PM
    Both my original and replacement torches started off solid as a rock but both developed some looseness after a few weeks. Its not so bad and I've learned to ignore it now because I love everything about the torch otherwise.

11-08-10 06:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD