I know some early 9800 users including myself have been disappointed by the screen "wiggle' or looseness. Interestingly I experience it mostly on the right lower side of the screen, even when the keyboard isn't in the slide out position. When I use the touchscreen without the keyboard retracted, it almost makes a clicking sound as the metal hits when I choose a menu item on the right lower side of the screen. When the keyboard is out, pressing the back or red end button makes the whole screen wobble. It doesn't instill much confidence in the build of this new device.

I am still likely going to go back to the AT&T store for an exchange, but its too early to tell if this is the way the slider is going to feel. I just wonder if those who feel like there phone has no wobble will start to experience it in the coming weeks.

It doesnt take much to stop the wobble. Paper, folded so its 4 ply thick (which is still really thin) is enough. A slightly tighter tolerance in the build of this mechanism would have eliminated the wobble, but as someone mentioned in another post, its just a phone and not some NASA spec device.

Here is how if fixed. Took a piece of 3m note pad paper (the standard square yellow kind). At top where the adhesive is, just fold the adhesive back onto itself just the width of the adhesive strip. Then tear a small section off and fold that onto itself. Your square will be 4 sheets thick. I tried to take a picture below.

Now take that piece of paper and slide into into the top middle of the torch inbetween the slide mechanism. You dont have to slide it in all the way at first. Leave some sticking out. Feel the screen and make sure it feels tight. Slide the keyboard out and make sure the paper is still wedged between the that slot. You should feel the tightness. Now close the keyboard and push the paper down in till its not visible. You can use the 3m paper left over to help push the paper till its not visible. Retest and make sure the paper doesnt push itself out when you do the sliding keyboard.

Its a pretty simple fix. I am if the issues persist, someone may come up with a more permanent solution. Just thought I would share Attempt at your own risk.

I am also looking at taking a small piece of adhesive screen protector and trying to do something similar.

08-13-10 04:33 AM
    lol just tried this and it worked like a charm... it is very kludgy and sad that we have to resort to this but now my slider is solid and feels RIGHT..

anyway now to figure out how to get that paper out if needed heh...
    08-22-10 12:13 PM
    What would have been cool is if they had designed it so that you could tighten up the slide mechanism. Some sort of gib/screw adjustment on the slides, or even something as simple as tabs that could be bent or tweaked. Over time they are all likely to loosen up some. Mine has a small amount of play, which is not really noticeable at all with the commuter case on it. I may have a different opinion a year from now. I know some say that the slide is always going to have some slop in it, but I somewhat disagree. It's all in the design. If you look at automatic guns, or machines with moving slides, they are either designed robust enough not to have wear/slop over time or they are designed in such a way that the wear/slop can be adjusted out of it. If RIM wants to send me a CAD file of the design, I would be happy to take a look at it for no charge.
    08-22-10 12:42 PM
    I'm guessing this is to fix the wiggle that goes up and down and not side to side
    08-22-10 01:02 PM
    I've discovered a slight wiggle side to side but its a non issue for me. I'm pretty OCD about this stuff also. I freakin love this thing. I'm hoping RIM keeps the design and improves on it w/future sliders.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-10 01:14 PM
    Pretty sad we have to resort to 3m paper to slove the issue of the "wiggle", i feel like macgyver. Im sure theres another way.......if ur brave enough to take the phone apart. I like to live Dangerously!!! *austin power voice*
    08-22-10 01:46 PM
    I have been contemplating taking it apart its going to happen eventually so I might as well. That is what insurance is for right? Mine is not very bad at the moment but I agree they should have built in a way to tighten it. Seems they could have a screw behind the battery or something.

08-22-10 01:57 PM
    Nice photographs by the way!

08-22-10 02:00 PM
    I only have the left/right wiggle motion at the moment, and that is only really noticeable on the bottom of the screen when it is in the closed position.
    08-22-10 02:00 PM
    OK try this. Open the keyboard and turn the phone over. Cut a piece of black electrical tape about 5/8" long. Place it long ways in the center of the area behind the screen. Cut another piece of tape slightly longer, and place it over the first piece slightly overlapping on both ends. Close the keyboard and check it for wiggle. Is there any there? If so, add another piece of tape, making sure it is slightly longer than the pieced under it, so that it does not catch when you open and close the keyboard. Eventually the tape may come loose or wear... it's easily replaceable and should stay in place until time to replace it. And if you ever need to return your phone you can simply remove it.

Last edited by Dvx67; 08-22-10 at 02:53 PM.
    08-22-10 02:49 PM
    A pic for reference... you can do it a little more neatly if you are concerned with how it looks. I doubt people would ever notice it.
    08-22-10 03:00 PM
    just took that paper out and tried the electrical tape method... much better, easier to control, and doesnt look to bad.. i didnt use as long as tape as you did, i used tiny squares and it worked fine... thanks for the idea
    08-22-10 04:43 PM
    I though I had a "solid" one, until day 3... when the 'play' became noticable.
    I used a strip of electrical tape also, but that doesn't help much when 'open', as the paper trick would.

It does help when closed though.
    I have no other issues with my phone, so I'm reluctant to exchange it, as all the ones I tried felt solid when new, as mine did...
    08-22-10 10:25 PM
    Well, I tried this fix earlier, and it works pretty well, but there is no way for me to get the paper out now, and the phone's slide motion has a lot less spring to it now. I was kind of upset about it at first, but now I find it a lot easier to open the phone one handed now. There is still a little wobble to it, but I'm happy with the overall result. The slide motion just won't be as impressive to my friends, but whatevs, its my phone after all.
    08-22-10 10:40 PM
    You've got to be kidding me??!! I'll be damned if I'm going to "jack up" a piece of tape to FIX my bb that's less than 30 days! Isn't it just safer to go return for a new one?

08-22-10 10:46 PM
    Sure, you can return it for a new one, and it'll probably have the same problem.
    ATT and BB generally consider this 'wobble' normal.
    08-23-10 08:50 AM
    Sure, you can return it for a new one, and it'll probably have the same problem.
    ATT and BB generally consider this 'wobble' normal.
    Not true. I returned a wobbler for a new one, and it is solid as a rock. I am currently wobble-free.
    08-23-10 09:10 AM
    Not true. I returned a wobbler for a new one, and it is solid as a rock. I am currently wobble-free.
    How long have you been 'wobble-free' for?
    I ask because mine was solid at first, and developed wobble in a few days...
    It's tough to predict which phones will remain solid, while you're in the store.

Good luck!
    08-23-10 09:21 AM
    I have had mine since the 18th and still have only a small amount of play when the slide is closed and I push on the bottom left corner. I have to look for it, it does not wiggle or play at all during normal use. The play has gotten a little worse with use so I have been keeping an eye on it, but that's just me being anal.
    08-23-10 09:51 AM
    My first phone was wiggle-free but had other issues - this last (fourth) one was wiggly leaving the store - when it's open but not closed. I have a case-mate case on it that, when I mess with it so it fits properly, fixes the problem but just doesn't fit well. I like the post-it and electrical tape fixes but I'm with hunoosh - I want a nice piece of hardware.
    08-23-10 09:59 AM
    someone HAS TO put up a video on how to disassemble the torch. if i knew how to disassemble it, im sure there is a way to tighten up those loose ends on the slider. can someone please post a vid on how to disassemble the torch 9800?
    08-26-10 11:25 PM
    someone HAS TO put up a video on how to disassemble the torch. if i knew how to disassemble it, im sure there is a way to tighten up those loose ends on the slider. can someone please post a vid on how to disassemble the torch 9800?
    Totally agree!!! I dropped my Torch twice!! )-: Both times had my Otterbox on but I noticed that my trackpad looks scuffed up now...and not that I would do it now but would like to at some point attempt replacing it. Doesn't really look noticable but of course I was being ocd about it at first. Disassemble video would be nice.
    08-26-10 11:29 PM
    08-26-10 11:36 PM
    Glad this idea worked for some. The electrical tape idea is cool too. I was able to cure my wiggle with the paper, but ultimately I ended up returning the 9800. I did look at 3 more in the store that the rep brought out, and they all had the same wiggle. I ended up picking up a 9700 on the used market as I think the form factor better suits me.

Good luck to all the Torch wigglers!
    08-27-10 12:10 AM
    do the tape and paper methods help left/right wiggle?
    08-27-10 09:30 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD