08-16-10 09:32 PM
    I'm calling AT&T right now to see if they will give me a $100 bucks back or a $100 credit on my account....

The phone is not even a week old yet! If they don't I will return the phone to AT&T and get my money back. And order though Amazon.... I would get 2day free shipping and the upgrade fee waved.
    Last edited by luvshertorch; 08-16-10 at 10:34 PM. Reason: forgot a thought
    08-16-10 10:32 PM
    Wow! That was quick.. Please post your results on what AT&T says luvshertorch
    08-16-10 10:35 PM
    can we merge the thread with this one:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/ri...-sales-515020/

and the article is misleading.
    price is still the same $199 for AT&T
    since launch date though Amazon and Wirefly has the phone for $99 already..
    Don't you just love it when Journalist do their work? you know? investigate?
    instead of beating the deadline and coming up short.
    08-16-10 10:43 PM
    They are telling me that they don't price match... Whatever. My husband is sending off a few emails to the higher ups and see what they say... I think this is stupid, i have been a customer with them for 6 years, its $118 bucks that im asking for. I will let you know if I find out anything else.
    08-16-10 10:55 PM
    if you review the Amazon and the Wirefly deals..
    i think it's for new customers only.. and not upgrades.
    i maybe wrong but that is how it was explained to me by the AT&T rep.
    and do you have a Premier account?
    maybe you can get the discount from it.
    i got $50 slashed from the total because of the Premier account
    08-16-10 11:05 PM
    yes we do have a Premier account.... They wouldn't take anything off.
    and as for Amazon its for new and upgrades....
    I will post the email my husband is writing to there board of directors...
    08-16-10 11:13 PM
    They are telling me that they don't price match... Whatever. My husband is sending off a few emails to the higher ups and see what they say... I think this is stupid, i have been a customer with them for 6 years, its $118 bucks that im asking for. I will let you know if I find out anything else.
    Wow, AT&T sounds just like a Canadian cell company. Just love their F-U attitude, don't you? I'd tell them to stick it up their @@@ if they don't credit you back. Good luck!
    08-16-10 11:19 PM
    This is Christine's husband

I went ahead and posted a copy of the email on my own personal blog (non-commercial, mostly my own rants and raves) and it can be seen at MikeDVB.com � Extreme Disappointment with AT&T Customer Service (lack there of).

If a moderator feels that me linking like this violates the rules do feel free to copy the content of the email from the post into this thread directly. I'm just purely being lazy at this point.
    Last edited by MikeDVB; 08-16-10 at 11:51 PM.
    08-16-10 11:35 PM
    You should ask to speak to the Customer Retention department. They can usually make deals. When I signed up for my 2nd round with AT&T, I told them a local Verizon store would give me 100 SMS per month for free. The guy offered me a $120.00 credit to pay for 2 years worth of 200 SMS per month. He also credited me my activation fee and something else and I ended up getting about $220 credit. That's how I ended up with my first iPhone.
    08-16-10 11:43 PM
    AT&T has a 30 day return policy, don't they? Could you just return the Torch and buy a new one from Amazon?
    08-16-10 11:44 PM
    Just went to amazon and the 9800 is $99 for new customers and upgrades. I clicked on the "upgrade" link and it still showed as $99 in my cart even after choosing a rate plan and features. but i believe, there are some hefty fees involved if you make certain changes to the account during the duration of the contract, since you are not a direct customer of at&t.

I paid 150 plus tax for mine, (upgrade eligible) but would not mind spending 10-15 minutes on the phone w/ a at&t csr trying to get 50 bucks back.
    08-16-10 11:45 PM
    returning the phone within 30 days will revert your upgrade status..
    meaning you can still get that good deal from Amazon
    08-16-10 11:46 PM
    AT&T has a 30 day return policy, don't they? Could you just return the Torch and buy a new one from Amazon?
    Indeed they do - and that's an avenue we will take if AT&T Customer Service isn't willing to make this right.

As far as going through Amazon - it's just the same as going to BestBuy or RadioShack - there's no difference in your plan and no extra cancellation fees or anything if you do an upgrade... It may be different if you start a *new* contract at Amazon, BestBuy, or RadioShack however.
    Last edited by MikeDVB; 08-16-10 at 11:50 PM.
    08-16-10 11:47 PM
    Indeed they do - and that's an avenue we will take if AT&T Customer Service isn't willing to make this right.

As far as going through Amazon - it's just the same as going to BestBuy or RadioShack - there's no difference in your plan and no extra cancellation fees or anything if you do an upgrade... It may be different if you start a *new* contract at Amazon, BestBuy, or RadioShack however.
    Except you have to pay a restocking fee of 20% of something like it so you don't save as much

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-10 12:12 AM
    Except you have to pay a restocking fee of 20% of something like it so you don't save as much

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Not a major concern - I'll order the new phone from Amazon and have it in my hand before I return the other. It's more of the principal than it is the actual money.

I'd be more than happy to take the 20% out of the $118 credit if they wanted to be so nice as to save me the time and trouble.
    08-17-10 12:15 AM
    Great. Now people will stop complaining about how the Torch doesn't compare to the Captivate and iPhone4 at the same price point. I hope this lower price point will carry on to the Canadian carriers when we get the Torch.
    08-17-10 12:28 AM
    Great. Now people will stop complaining about how the Torch doesn't compare to the Captivate and iPhone4 at the same price point. I hope this lower price point will carry on to the Canadian carriers when we get the Torch.
    As far as I know - AT&T isn't directly offering the phone for $99 (still $199) otherwise getting the $100 credit on the account would be no problem at all.
    08-17-10 12:32 AM
    These deals were being offered on the first day crackberry had the same deal. Here's the catch, you must be eligible for upgrade to get this deal. No early upgrades.
    08-17-10 01:13 AM
    I beat Amazon and Wirefly.com will be dropping their price for the Torch within a week to $49.99. Maybe even as soon as this weekend. Those two sellers do heavy sales for AT&T and I just called to see if they have any in stock. The person I spoke to at Wirefly.com said since the launch they have had hundreds in stock and don't forsee any shortages. So I think I'll wait for the $49.99 and free activation with free shipping. They have these deals popping up and down every day, so I will be checking in the am and pm. I am really shocked at how quick Blackberry did the price drop, that sends mixed signals..............
    08-17-10 01:14 AM
    I just don't understand why this is such a big deal. This is good news for consumers. Unless you're an employee or shareholder of RIM, does it really matter to you what this means to them? Or is this just another way of claiming that one company is better than the other?

I really couldn't give less of a damn what kind of hit RIM will be taking from this, as they're probably not going bankrupt (need them to keep BIS running). Nor do I really care how well the 9800 is selling overall.
    08-17-10 01:34 AM
    I just don't understand why this is such a big deal. This is good news for consumers. Unless you're an employee or shareholder of RIM, does it really matter to you what this means to them? Or is this just another way of claiming that one company is better than the other?

I really couldn't give less of a damn what kind of hit RIM will be taking from this, as they're probably not going bankrupt (need them to keep BIS running). Nor do I really care how well the 9800 is selling overall.
    It's extremely short-sighted to take that sort of stance as I'm sure you don't want RIM to become the next Nokia but then again there are people who care about the details and those who don't and I suppose you're one that doesn't.
    08-17-10 09:44 AM
    08-17-10 09:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD