I was configuring bluetooth connection between my laptop and Torch 9800 and windows automatically configured my Torch as bluetooth modem and now I can use my Torch as a modem over bluetooth for internet access. This is a welcomed surprise as I was contemplating whether or not to spend 20 plus dollars to buy the tethered application but apparently there is this free option. This is probably not new to BB experts but I was so happy about this "new discovery" that I thought of sharing..
    09-01-10 05:50 AM
    How exactly did you do this? I was considering buying the tethering option but if this works I'll skip it
    09-01-10 06:35 AM
    I didn't have to configure anything to move from tethering with my 9000 to tethering with the 9800, so these instructions will set up the 9800 to tether. Note they are nominally for tethering via a USB cable, but you can tether via BT as well this way.

1. If you have not already, download and install the BlackBerry Desktop Software (i.e., Desktop Manager).
    2. Go to the Windows Device manager. Quickest way: Start > Run > devmgmt.msc
    3. Click the + button next to Modems, double click “Standard Modem”
    4. Click the Advanced tab
    5. Enter this into the empty box exactly (no leading space):
    AT+cgdcont=1,"IP","WAP.CINGULAR"
    6. Hit Okay, and close device manager.

Then:

1. From your (Windows XP) computer, click Start > Settings > Network Connections > New Connections Wizard, then click Next.
    2. Select Connect to the Internet and click Next, then select Set up my connection manually and click Next again.
    3. Select Connect using a dial up modem, then Next.
    4. Select the Standard Modem, then Next.
    5. Type in the Connection ("ISP") Name (e.g., Blackberry), then Next
    6. Enter this as the phone number: *99# then Next
    7. Enter user name (ALL CAPS): [email protected]
    8. Enter and confirm password (ALL CAPS): CINGULAR1 then Next/Finish
    9. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager and plug in your Blackberry via the USB cable. Make sure it detects the BlackBerry as connected.
    10. Go back to your network connections window (step 8), and double click the new [Connection Name] dialup icon.
    11. Your password, username, and dialup number should already be saved. If it’s not, just follow steps 7 and 8 above again. Then just click “Dial.”

EDIT: Obviously, this is for AT&T.
    09-01-10 06:51 AM
    Blackberry Desktop Manager has this function too--no need to ever buy those tethering options

UPDATED: the guy above me stole my thunder, I didn't read his post before replying to the others
    Last edited by guido68; 09-01-10 at 06:56 AM. Reason: adding info
    09-01-10 06:55 AM
    Wow so got it to work through, the USB cable, but can't figure out where to go to setup the bluetooth connection, I'm using windows 7, so nothing is where is used to be.

and why didn't I know about this before, I wouldn't have paid for tethering if I had know i could have done this...
    09-01-10 10:36 AM
    So since this is not using any 3rd party applications, or modifying anything on the phone, does this still break the TOS with AT&T?
    09-01-10 10:54 AM
    I did not even launch desktop manager. I just paired my Torch with my Windows 7 laptop, it automatically create a bluetooth modem connection..to connect just go to network dial up and hit the created connection icon (for instance blackberry 9800),,this is really a neat feature, great when there is no wifi around and you have a unimited bb data plan
    09-01-10 10:57 AM
    Wow so got it to work through, the USB cable, but can't figure out where to go to setup the bluetooth connection, I'm using windows 7, so nothing is where is used to be.

and why didn't I know about this before, I wouldn't have paid for tethering if I had know i could have done this...
    Have you paired your 9800 with your PC via Bluetooth? That should be all you need to do.
    09-01-10 11:02 AM
    No I haven't paid it with BT yet, going to try to use siausin's suggestion to get it done

dose this process use media or the phones minutes?
    09-01-10 11:25 AM
    Key *99# if asked number to dial

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-10 05:48 PM
    How about Vista? I tried to connect my Torch via Bluetooth and it's asking for Bluetooth Peripheral Device Drivers, which I would assume one of them would be the modem drivers. How do I get these drivers?
    09-01-10 05:59 PM
    while in modem tethered mode the phone is still functioning and not losing its BIS/BES connectivity..emails, twitter, etc still come in..
    09-01-10 09:54 PM
    No I haven't paid it with BT yet, going to try to use siausin's suggestion to get it done

dose this process use media or the phones minutes?
    You've neglected to provide the carrier you use in your Details/Profile -- always helpful if you are making these kinds of inquiries -- but the other guy is using some carrier in Singapore, not AT&T. If you are using AT&T, simply doing it the way he suggests won't work just because he's using Windows 7 and not XP. You'll still need the AT&T login and init string info.

Tethering uses your data the same as if you were browsing on your phone. Only a LOT more of it.
    09-02-10 09:13 AM
    You've neglected to provide the carrier you use in your Details/Profile -- always helpful if you are making these kinds of inquiries -- but the other guy is using some carrier in Singapore, not AT&T. If you are using AT&T, simply doing it the way he suggests won't work just because he's using Windows 7 and not XP. You'll still need the AT&T login and init string info.

Tethering uses your data the same as if you were browsing on your phone. Only a LOT more of it.
    Thanks, I'll update my info here in a min. Using AT&T (thought it my be obvious looking at my phone history), I inquired about what it uses data vs min. just to make sure I wouldn't be going over my min. I'm on a 900min plan and grandfathered in the unlimited data plan.

It tethered fine using the usb cable, still didn't get a chance to try using BT, but really don't have much need for it considering I will be using my laptop to charge my phone when I'm using it for tethering....I use it at work to do online schooling on my lunch and breaks

but a write up or a link explaining how to sync it with BT would be very help since I'm still quite lost on windows 7 since I just moved from xp
    09-02-10 11:10 AM
    Thanks, I'll update my info here in a min. Using AT&T (thought it my be obvious looking at my phone history), I inquired about what it uses data vs min. just to make sure I wouldn't be going over my min. I'm on a 900min plan and grandfathered in the unlimited data plan.

It tethered fine using the usb cable, still didn't get a chance to try using BT, but really don't have much need for it considering I will be using my laptop to charge my phone when I'm using it for tethering....I use it at work to do online schooling on my lunch and breaks

but a write up or a link explaining how to sync it with BT would be very help since I'm still quite lost on windows 7 since I just moved from xp
    You don't really need a separate write up for BT. All you do is pair the laptop with the Torch via Bluetooth in Desktop Manager (Tools > Desktop Options > Bluetooth) instead of connecting the Torch via USB after you open DM. (Step 9 above.)

Edit: I forgot to mention one other perhaps obvious difference for BT when following the step by step instructions above: when you are setting up the modem in Device Manager, select Bluetooth Modem instead of Standard Modem. If you don't see Bluetooth Modem, odds are your Bluetooth dongle (or however Bluetooth is implemented on your laptop) doesn't support the Bluetooth Serial Port service. You need to find a dongle that does. The cheap Ebay ones generally don't.
    Last edited by JasW; 09-03-10 at 08:51 PM.
    09-02-10 11:44 AM
    Thanks for the write-up, very helpful.

I've successfully tethered all my Blackberrys to Windows XP machines but now my current configuration is Windows 7 Premium and Torch 9800 with AT&T and when following the above steps I get an error code:

Error 734: The PPP link control protocol was terminated

Anyone get that or know what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: I just tried again with Blackberry DM6 and followed the directions at the start of this thread and it works perfectly over USB. Now I'm gonna try to get it to work over Bluetooth. Any hints on how to make that transition if I am currently surfing fine over USB?
    Last edited by SilverTT; 02-08-11 at 11:13 PM.
    02-08-11 10:32 PM
    Do you guys know if AT&T blocked free tethering for your BB over Bluetooth? I followed all the steps shown in this thread. It also worked twice, normally it doesn't work and I tried 100 times.

When I activate blue tooth my net book registers the blue tooth connection. I then follow the steps to setup the dial connection and it works. It connects, and It says "Internet Access". I also see packets coming in and out when I look at the connection, but I still can't go to the internet. It just tries to connect then says "Server is not responding" or "Page cannot be displayed."

I'm using OS Version 6.0.0.706 with and updated device/desktop manager. I used the steps on the thread with putting the phone #, extra initialization string, username , and password bit it still won't work. Also I checked the blue tooth services and the modem service is there when I connect.

Your help is appreciated, because I've spent hours of googling to figure out this issue.
    12-11-11 12:30 PM
    i have been using the bluetooth method for months and now it will not work HELP!!!
    12-12-11 03:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD