I've finally figured out how to tether the Torch to my Windows 7 PC. For all those on XP, Vista, etc.... You might make adjustments to my instructions

Note: This is done via Bluetooth... Unsure if there's a recent viable USB way!

1. Ensure the latest Blackberry Desktop Manager is installed.

2. Download the latest Blackberry USB Modem here: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...TWAREDOWNLOADS

3. Install the above USB Modem drivers.

4. Enable Bluetooth on your Torch and enable it to be Discoverable.

5. Add the bluetooth device through your Control Panel (Control Panel --> Add Device)

6. Enter the pairing key into your Torch. Once paired, new drivers will install. One is named 'Standard Modem over Bluetooth'. Don't worry if you get a failure during the 'Blackberry Peripheral Driver' installation.

7. Go to Device Manager and expand the 'Modems' category.

8. Right click on 'Standard Modem over Bluetooth' and click 'Properties'

9. In the 'Advanced' tab, enter this initialization string:
    AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","wap.cingular"

10. Press OK and exit.

11. Go to the Network and Sharing Center. Click on 'Set up a Connection or Network'.

12. Select 'Set up a Dial up Connection' and click 'Next'

13. Select 'Standard Modem over Bluetooth'

14. Enter the following settings:
    Phone Number: *99#
    Username: [email protected]
    Password: CINGULAR1
    Place a check mark next to 'Remember this Password'
    Name this connection 'AT&T via Bluetooth'
    Click 'Connect'

15. You now have free tethered modem
    12-31-10 12:33 PM
    Sweet...does anyone know if a non-PC device can be tethered via bt using this method?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-10 01:21 PM
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! After spending literally hours on the phone with both AT&T and Blackberry to get my device to tether due to a failure to recognize the device driver, your method worked GREAT!

I can't believe someone from Blackberry couldn't have tried this method with me instead of telling me to fix my computer.

YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    05-31-11 02:23 AM
    Does it mean we can tether for free? Using the whatever limit we are allowed for our monthly limit?
    05-31-11 03:03 AM
    Does it mean we can tether for free? Using the whatever limit we are allowed for our monthly limit?

05-31-11 12:09 PM
    You need to check with your carrier to see if tethering is already included with your plan or requires an additional fee. AT&T does charge extra for a tethering plan and it is *not* included by default.
    05-31-11 01:41 PM
    If tethering is in your plan, AT&T provides a program called ACM (Google AT&T ACM) that will act as a go between for your computer and phone.
    05-31-11 02:13 PM
    What I mean is that if I can tether FREE without paying additional fee to AT&T, and I am using the allowed bandwidth that I am paying monthly with the blackberry plan. Of course the tethering is not in my plan. Would like to know if this is the go around way to do it without paying tethering

thanks.
    05-31-11 03:36 PM
    Of course the tethering is not in my plan.
    Then amend your plan or find another provider that includes tethering.
    05-31-11 04:24 PM
    I've been using this method for about 2 years now on AT&T without a tether plan, and I can say that I've never been charged extra. I track my usage online and some months I've even passed 6GB of data usage.
    06-21-11 02:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD