Blending some great advice from several threads, I now have SlingPlayer Mobile running on my Torch 9800.

The real issue is that Sling will not serve up the required install files to the 9800 as it doesn't recognize the model due to the new OS6 browser.

Solution? Get the files through the "back door" of Sling. Edit them and copy them to your 9800 and then run the jar app file to install.

It was pretty simple!

Go to this thread to get the instructions & files needed (I also attached a ZIP of the files already edited that I know worked on my Torch. If you use my files you don't have to edit anything, just copy to 9800.):
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/has...03/index3.html

All 35 files get copied to the 9800 where you launch the .jad file by going into Applications>Files>All Files, the start typing "sling" and look for the .jad file and run it.

Once installed, you must launch the app with the 9800 positioned in landscape mode. Launching in portrait mode yields an error (probably can't display splash screen).

Happy Torching & Slinging!
    E92Vancouver and easydoesit99 like this.
    09-02-10 12:00 AM
    Thanks for this. I've been jonesing (sp?) for my sling ever since i switched to the Torch. It's hard to understand why they have not yet caught up to the new OS.

Installed this afternoon without any concerns. Performed just as described. Will be a decent band-aid until the official version becomes available (hopefully within 30 days before the trial runs out).
    09-07-10 12:21 PM
    You can also use this link in your BB Browser to the software directly at Sling (padded with brackets to display full link -- copy and email to yourself for ease)

[]http://download.slingmedia.com/player/mobile/bb1013/US/SlingPlayer_bold_EN_US.jad[]

Previous CB Forum Link: http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/sl...ml#post5502194

I can say (and others reported) that it's worked without needing to copy to the SD.
    E92Vancouver likes this.
    09-07-10 01:07 PM
    You absolutely Rock!! I am generally a bit of an ***** when it comes to these things and I was able to get SlingBox Mobile up and running on my Torch 9800 within about 5 minutes. Many thanks!!
    09-17-10 01:10 PM
    After I install it and try to run it, I get an error saying, "SlingPlayer is not installed properly. Please install again." I have done this about 7 times. I also used the link about to perform an OTA install and it still gives the same error. Is anyone else having this issue?

Thanks
    fireman603
    09-26-10 08:09 AM
    You have to open it while the Torch is in landscape mode, so turn it on its side. After that, it works just fine.
    09-26-10 09:30 AM
    Performed just as described. Will be a decent band-aid until the official version becomes available (hopefully within 30 days before the trial runs out).
    Dont hold your breath, they're not the fastest company IMO
    09-26-10 02:03 PM
    Thanks - I've got it running on my Torch. I had a paid/registered version on my Bold. Is there anyway to retrieve that registration key and load it into the Torch so it won't die in 30 days?
    09-27-10 05:44 PM
    Thanks - I've got it running on my Torch. I had a paid/registered version on my Bold. Is there anyway to retrieve that registration key and load it into the Torch so it won't die in 30 days?
    Log into your online Sling account or check your email. They send you the registration key when you bought the license for your Bold probably.
    09-28-10 04:54 PM
    Log into your online Sling account or check your email. They send you the registration key when you bought the license for your Bold probably.
    For some silly reason that never occurred to me. I found the old email and loaded the key into my Torch. I now have a nicely functioning SlingPlayer up and running. No going back to the 9700 now.....
    09-28-10 05:58 PM
    anyone know of a good free DATA tracker. Just need something to run a tab on how much I use. Thanks in advance.
    10-01-10 02:02 AM
    Worked like a charm. Thanks
    10-07-10 01:37 PM
    I tried this and it worked but then it asked for a registration #. Can you only do this if you had slingplayer before? Where do get the registration # from?

Thanks, A
    10-13-10 12:16 AM
    Thanks so much guys. Works first time and all time!
    11-09-10 12:36 PM
    i downloaded the zip file to my computer how and where do i copy it to the 9800, then how do i run it. this is for sling?
    doubles101 likes this.
    11-11-10 05:38 PM
    Freezes on Registration even though I am using the info sent by Sling when I bought it.
    12-20-10 03:05 PM
    OK - Figured that out as well now. All is good and touch screen even works.
    12-20-10 03:13 PM
    thank you works great however i get a message saying i have only 29 days to activate it is there anyway around this or do i have to buy the app
    01-06-11 05:42 PM
    Yes yourll have to purchase it. No walk around it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-11 05:51 PM
    Ive got it installed just fine,

The app opens just fine in landscape view

but it never seems to connect, just hangs =/

Running on my 9800 OS V6.0.0.246 on Vodafone UK

and even if i connect via wifi it wont connect.

i know theres no issues with the slingbox or account as i can watch it just fine on my laptop

Any ideas???
    Thanks
    04-18-11 02:37 AM
    Hey All. Please confirm this works after a phone reset. On my 9700 SPM works when first installed but after you reset it you can connect and control the slingbox but can't see video or hear audio anymore. Just want to see if this is also the case on the torch.
    04-20-11 11:57 AM
    The second link posted on the first page works for my Torch (AT&T):

http://download.slingmedia.com/playe...bold_EN_US.jad

Just put the phone in landscape mode before you click on the application.

Now i wish i had a registration key haha
    04-20-11 12:33 PM
    i was able to use your files and instructions to get Slingbox working on my Torch.

Kuddos.
    05-04-11 08:06 AM
    To the guys I just thanked! You are flippin awesome!!!! Thanks!!! I've waited 6 months for this!!!!

I just got Slingplayer for my Google Nexus S tonight too!!!

All I need now is Slingplayer on my Playbook. Is that asking too much???
    05-08-11 05:03 AM
    Going to the link worked perfetly....!
    http://download.slingmedia.com/playe...bold_EN_US.jad

Thanks MyKey2k
    05-20-11 10:21 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD