05-21-10 07:16 AM
    Cool! Game changer, baby. GAME CHANGER! Thank God we can bury the horrible current BB browser FOREVER.

Also, OS 6.0.0.23, close to 4 GB of device memory, 311 MB free app memory (with 512 MB, that shows anyone with a 9700 and its 256 MB of app memory is going to have the kind of memory constraints with OS 6 that 9000 users currently have).

05-21-10 07:38 AM
    Ha! The Firefox browser on my PC only gets a 94 out of 100 on the acid test.

LOL at the iPad site in the third browser window tab.
    05-21-10 07:45 AM
    My Firefox gets 94/100 too. My BB 8530 got up to 91/100.

I WANT THIS PHONE!
    05-21-10 09:11 AM
    Wait, wait, wait... 4 gigs of device memory???

I haven't been following this phone much, but holy heck! Game changer is right....
    05-21-10 09:22 AM
    I just found my next Blackberry. I still wish they would take 1 GB and move it from the Device Memory to the Application Memory.

I don't really care about the Device Memory as much because I always use a Media Card.
    05-21-10 09:45 AM
    I guess the 4 gig in device memory would take the place in *needing* a microSD card?

But I agree, they should throw one of those gigs over to app memory. I think most use microSD cards anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-10 10:18 AM
    I guess the 4 gig in device memory would take the place in *needing* a microSD card?

But I agree, they should throw one of those gigs over to app memory. I think most use microSD cards anyway.

I'm sure that unlike most of us here, probably the majority of BB users would find 4GB of onboard device memory sufficient for their music and other media. There are still people here who on CB who think that a 16GB SD card is overkill.

Still, as long as we're increasing onboard memory, why not just leave the 4GB device memory alone and just throw another 4GB at the app memory? Then you could probably load on every app available in App World.
    05-21-10 10:50 AM
    So they're going to have 4 gigs of device memory that is used for media, 512 mb of app memory and an optional microsd card? I dont get it.
    05-21-10 11:58 AM
    Someone please explain to a dummy what an acid test is and what it means to score 100%.
    05-21-10 01:51 PM
    Someone please explain to a dummy what an acid test is and what it means to score 100%.
    Acid3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

05-21-10 01:55 PM
    Wow 4 GB memory.
    This is great.
    we will find less freezing.
    and we can install some application without worry now.

I have questions:
    - is the position of the trackpad is convenient enought without opening the sliding ?
    - is the Thickness of the products acceptable ?
    - I hope the battery is good enough to handle at least 2 days normal opeartions.
    - Lets hope that OS 6 will really great.
    05-21-10 02:10 PM
    Wow 4 GB memory.
    This is great.

I have questions:
    - is the position of the trackpad is convenient enought without opening the sliding ?
    - I hope the battery is good enough to handle at least 2 days normal opeartions.
    cant answer all your questions, but there was a side shot that showed it no thicker then an 8900
    05-21-10 02:19 PM
    Wow 4 GB memory.
    This is great.

I have questions:
    The 4 gigs is storage, not apps. The remaining app me.org after the OS install is 311mb. You'll note that whoever has this device has as much use for the internal storage as most. 3.7 gb free out of a total 3.7 gb.

I am surprised no one commented on this being from rogers. Was that known?

05-21-10 04:20 PM
    All of RIM's GSM devices are tested on Rogers.

Also, I am hoping (and praying) that OS6 allows applications to store data to that 4GB... Such as games installing the launcher in app memory but storing the game data itself on the internal memory... That is the only reason it would make sense to have 4GB onboard + microSD expansion.
    05-21-10 04:57 PM
    So they're going to have 4 gigs of device memory that is used for media, 512 mb of app memory and an optional microsd card? I dont get it.
    What don't you get? The 4 gigs is for music, pictures, video. The 512 is for the OS (operating system) and apps. The Memory Card (Micro SD) is to expand memory for music, pictures, video, etc. 4 gigs is really not that much, especially if you use video.
    05-21-10 05:04 PM
    Ok well now that you cleared that up... I still don't get why its there when can support 32 gig or more expandable memory.... Why would people split their media into 2 different memory locations?

05-21-10 05:34 PM
    I honestly think that OS6 is going to implement some sort of internal app storage/media storage combination... It would make sense to allow apps to store data on the internal memory, which is still securely within the device.

Windows Mobile has allowed apps to be installed to SD for ages... I think the only reason RIM never did it is because they want to have everything locked down. Anyone can easily remove a memory card from a device - not as easy with internal storage.

I'm just speculating though.
    05-21-10 05:40 PM
    Ok well now that you cleared that up... I still don't get why its there when can support 32 gig or more expandable memory.... Why would people split their media into 2 different memory locations?

IMHO...maybe they would allow to store applications on the device memory that's why it boosted up to 4gb.. even some superphone android like the galaxy S is rumored to have only 256mb memory, but it has 16 gb internal memory. So most likely they would allow to store apps in the internal memory, otherwise, what is the point of having such a good spec when it is limited to amount of application it can store... apps to SD has not been completely implemented yet, it's on its way though with froyo.. and rooting is another story. or maybe because samsung knows it will have froyo later on anyway, hence the memory space..idk lol
    besides 300 mb of memory for apps is still a lot, right?
    just my 2 cents..
    Last edited by JCheartBB; 05-21-10 at 06:48 PM.
    05-21-10 06:34 PM
    I think it might have something to do with making the features like "video camera" and "voice notes recorder" able to be used out of the box, without an additional purchase...
    05-21-10 07:12 PM
    video camera and voice notes recorder work out of the box on my 9700 without any additional purchase so I fail to see why it would be any different on the 9800???
    05-21-10 07:21 PM
    IMHO...maybe they would allow to store applications on the device memory that's why it boosted up to 4gb.. even some superphone android like the galaxy S is rumored to have only 256mb memory, but it has 16 gb internal memory. So most likely they would allow to store apps in the internal memory, otherwise, what is the point of having such a good spec when it is limited to amount of application it can store... apps to SD has not been completely implemented yet, it's on its way though with froyo.. and rooting is another story. or maybe because samsung knows it will have froyo later on anyway, hence the memory space..idk lol
    besides 300 mb of memory for apps is still a lot, right?
    just my 2 cents..
    The 9000 and Storm1 had 1gb internal, Storm2 has 2gb internal yet nothing was ever done to make use of that storage for applications on any of those phones.
    05-21-10 08:15 PM
    So is the screen smaller than the Storm series? Just curious...
    05-21-10 10:09 PM
    The 4GB of device memory is obviously just to give the casual media user sufficient storage for 800 songs or so, like the old iPod Nano, w/o having to deal with an SD card. I'd really be surprised if it were for anything more than that.

05-21-10 10:46 PM
    So is the screen smaller than the Storm series? Just curious...
    Slightly smaller, yes.

05-21-10 11:41 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD