I just purchased the Torch and had the salesperson in the store transfer all of my contacts. She told me that she didn't think that my custom ring tones would transfer. When I got back to my office, I used BlackBerry Desktop software (using "switch devices") to transfer apps to the Torch. I've accepted the fact that the ring tones won't transfer (or will they?). So, I went onto App World (I also tried the ATT Wireless site) and tried to get my old ringtones. I got a message that they weren't compatible with the Torch. All of them are Classic Rock tunes - i.e., Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, AC/DC, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions as to either how to transfer my old ring tones and/or a web site to re-purchase some of these classic rock ringtones? Is it possible that someone will eventually adapt some of these old tones for the Torch?
    08-16-10 05:56 PM
    Your ringtones are probably saved on your 9000.

Either on your internal memory or your media card - check home/users/ringtones.

Transfer them to your computer then transfer them to your 9800 - same ringtones folder.

Reboot might be necessary afterwards.

Good luck!
    08-16-10 05:58 PM
    Thanks! I'll check the 9000 and give it a try!
    08-16-10 06:36 PM
    OK. Sorry to be so naive; but I don't know how to access the folder "home/users/ringtones." Do I have to be connected to BlackBerry Desktop software to do this?
    08-16-10 06:46 PM
    Nope just plug in your device and make sure mass storage mode is enabled - it will either prompt you when you plug it in - or you can go to options/memory to change the settings.

Either Windows will pop up the drives or you can go to my computer and open the drives. There will be one drive for your internal storage and a separate Windows drive for your media card.
    08-16-10 07:45 PM
    Thanks. I hope that I can transfer those ringtones. I just found it odd that when I went online to re-purchase them it said that they were not compatible with my device.
    08-17-10 02:15 PM
    Thanks. I hope that I can transfer those ringtones. I just found it odd that when I went online to re-purchase them it said that they were not compatible with my device.
    How could that be? They're MP3 files.
    08-17-10 02:32 PM
    Roger that! Exactly what I thought; but that was the message that I received when I tried to purchase them (I set my on-screen device to BlackBerry Torch). Crazy, right?!
    08-17-10 02:34 PM
    It's probably another browser identification issue - the webkit browser is telling the site that you are not on a BlackBerry so it will give you the full page - unfortunately the website says if you're not on a BlackBerry you can't download the ringtones.
    08-17-10 02:47 PM
    Actually, I tried via the computer and my BlackBerry.
    08-17-10 02:48 PM
    I transferred the ring tone files to my Torch with no problem. They show up in "My Ring tones;" however, when I try to play one, it says "an error has occurred attempting to play media. They all have the extension, .mp3.rem. The one ring tone file that I successfully downloaded from the ring tones web site has the same extension (and it plays on the Torch). My original ring tone files play fine on the Bold, but they will not play on the Torch. When I try to play them in Windows Media player, they won't play either (even if I remove the ".rem" part of the extension). I get this message in Media player, "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." Any further suggestions? Thanks.
    08-17-10 07:47 PM
    I'm having the same exact problem. The ringtones that I purchased through AT&T when I had my Curve have an extension of ".rem" and I get the message "An error has occured attempting to play media." on all of those files and if I try to assign the ringtone to a contact I get an error that says "Invalid ring tone selected, please select another file". When I had my Curve everything had been saved to my SD card. I guess I had incorrectly assumed everything would transfer over as smoothly as it always had when I bought my Torch.

Is there any way to convert those .rem files to .mp3? I'll look for replacements on here, it's not that big of a deal as there weren't that many but...
    09-17-10 08:09 AM
    The .rem extension means the files were encrypted by your BB when added to your device.
    I believe it's quite possible the encryption between your old device and new device is somehow different and somewhere in the back of my brain I recall having this problem once before when swapping a device for a newer one.

On the torch, I believe the encryption of files is only an option if you have a password set. Older models (like the Bold) had a setting in options to turn encryption on (or off) and you could include media files if you so chose to.

Try this work around... (do this on one file first, just to be sure) Fire up the Bold... got to options > media card > encrypt media files > set to "no."
    Then go to media > menu > explore and navigate to the folder where your purchased ring tones are stored. Create a temporary folder and then move one of the ringtone files from its original folder to the temporary folder you just created. By moving the file with the encryption turned off it will decrypt the file as you move it.

Using your computer, hook up the Bold and transfer the file to your hard drive. I don't remember if moving the file from folder to folder (as described above) removes the .rem extension so once it's on your hard drive you 'may' have to rename it without the .rem Then transfer that file to your Torch. See if that works. If so, you'll have to repeat the process for all your ring tones but at least you'll have them. Note: You can then move multiple files from folder to folder if this works. (and you have a lot of files)
    09-17-10 09:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD