Hi!

I can't seem to find the instructions on how to install the latest OS. Sorry if I'm writing this thread, it can be removed. I just wanted to know the exact link on where the instructions are, I don't want to ruin my Torch.

-Merci!
    11-11-10 12:16 PM
    Im guessing this may be one of your first OS upgrades, but I promise, it is fairly easy, and you have little to worry about as things generally go smooth. The whole process can range between 20-40 minutes so be patient.

PHOTOS BELOW

1.) Your going to want to make sure you have Desktop Manager installed on your computer. Insert the install disc, or go to BlackBerry.com to get the file. Install the software and go ahead and run Desktop Manager when complete. Below is the file. If you are already cool enough to have Desktop Manager installed well start that bad boy up, we don't have all day!

BlackBerry - Desktop Software for PC

2.) Next connect your phone via usb cable and wait for Desktop Manager (DM) to find your phone, it will install all the drivers necessary and you are going to want to perform a backup of your phone to save your contacts and settings. Only chumps skip this step, so go to step 3 if you consider yourself chumpy.

After the backup, close down Desktop Manager and continue.

3.) Now download and install the OS you wish to add to your phone. Below is the link to download the OS.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...47D0BED9.node2

4.) With the OS installed to your computer you will want to Navigate to:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader (if you do not have 64 bit windows the program files will not have the *x86*) Scroll down and if you see a file called vendor.xml delete it, if there is NO vendor file that is good news! So don't worry about it, you don't want to see it anyway.

Click on Loader.exe on the top of the list and it should recognize your phone, click next until you get to this screen.

If you click on details below and then modules, you will see what is currently on the phone, and then to the right, what will be updated. Click next and allow your phone to do the update.

This step usually takes a bit so be patient and DO NOT remove your phone from the PC unless you enjoy extra headaches. Once your phone turns back on your update is complete, now just one more step

5.) Lets put all your contacts back on your phone, remember that backup we made earlier! Let's do this thing. Close all other open windows and open Desktop Manager again. Now this time click the top left where it says device, and select restore, now load the backup you saved earlier and viola you are done and have successfully updated your phone and restored your settings.

Enjoy the new OS, hopes this guide helps, took like 20minutes to write up real quick.
    Last edited by Thanontos; 11-11-10 at 01:09 PM.
    mhslax likes this.
    11-11-10 12:48 PM
    Apploader will automatically restore your backup and 3rd party apps unless you manually wipe beforehand or tell Apploader not to do restore.
    11-11-10 01:19 PM
    Thanontos, if i could hug you i would, because this is the first thing im doing as soon as i get my Torch !
    11-11-10 01:24 PM
    Im guessing this may be one of your first OS upgrades, but I promise, it is fairly easy, and you have little to worry about as things generally go smooth. The whole process can range between 20-40 minutes so be patient.

PHOTOS BELOW

1.) Your going to want to make sure you have Desktop Manager installed on your computer. Insert the install disc, or go to BlackBerry.com to get the file. Install the software and go ahead and run Desktop Manager when complete. Below is the file. If you are already cool enough to have Desktop Manager installed well start that bad boy up, we don't have all day!

BlackBerry - Desktop Software for PC

2.) Next connect your phone via usb cable and wait for Desktop Manager (DM) to find your phone, it will install all the drivers necessary and you are going to want to perform a backup of your phone to save your contacts and settings. Only chumps skip this step, so go to step 3 if you consider yourself chumpy.

After the backup, close down Desktop Manager and continue.

3.) Now download and install the OS you wish to add to your phone. Below is the link to download the OS.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...47D0BED9.node2

4.) With the OS installed to your computer you will want to Navigate to:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader (if you do not have 64 bit windows the program files will not have the *x86*) Scroll down and if you see a file called vendor.xml delete it, if there is NO vendor file that is good news! So don't worry about it, you don't want to see it anyway.

Click on Loader.exe on the top of the list and it should recognize your phone, click next until you get to this screen.

If you click on details below and then modules, you will see what is currently on the phone, and then to the right, what will be updated. Click next and allow your phone to do the update.

This step usually takes a bit so be patient and DO NOT remove your phone from the PC unless you enjoy extra headaches. Once your phone turns back on your update is complete, now just one more step

5.) Lets put all your contacts back on your phone, remember that backup we made earlier! Let's do this thing. Close all other open windows and open Desktop Manager again. Now this time click the top left where it says device, and select restore, now load the backup you saved earlier and viola you are done and have successfully updated your phone and restored your settings.

Enjoy the new OS, hopes this guide helps, took like 20minutes to write up real quick.
    Someone is a Resident Evil fan. A battery pull might not hurt as well.
    11-11-10 02:15 PM
    I can't seem to find loader.exe

eta: never mind! did not read the instructions clearly, I forgot to go into "common files" Will try this right now!
    11-11-10 03:10 PM
    Glad it could be of assistance! Of course I'm a fan of Resident Evil, it is a classic.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-11-10 04:05 PM
    Glad it could be of assistance! Of course I'm a fan of Resident Evil, it is a classic.

Classic...how old are you? Those movies haven't been out that long.
    11-11-10 04:08 PM
    It says that once complete I must activate my device wirelessly to send and recieve emails. How do I do that?? Should I hit "finish"?
    11-11-10 04:37 PM
    It says that once complete I must activate my device wirelessly to send and recieve emails. How do I do that?? Should I hit "finish"?
    You will be able to send and receive emails no problem, you may need to re-enter your information to continue using email account, just go to the setup and make sure your email setup info is still there. You will get a message saying your blackberry has been registered with the wireless network.

As for the movies I would have to say I've been a fan since the original game came out for the PS1 back in like 96 or whatever. The movies were good, but I remember the games scaring the crap out of me, haha.

11-11-10 05:24 PM
    Resident evil was a classic. Too bad the movies didn't do the fanchise any justice. Milla Jovovich will always rock though.

Nice walk through, btw.

11-11-10 05:44 PM
    You will be able to send and receive emails no problem, you may need to re-enter your information to continue using email account, just go to the setup and make sure your email setup info is still there. You will get a message saying your blackberry has been registered with the wireless network.

As for the movies I would have to say I've been a fan since the original game came out for the PS1 back in like 96 or whatever. The movies were good, but I remember the games scaring the crap out of me, haha.

Thanks for ALL of the help! The steps were amazing.
    11-11-10 05:53 PM
    My DM never looks like this when I connect the USB. It pops up with this tiny window and at the top of the DM window it says (Disabled). Weird.

11-11-10 06:17 PM
    Someone is a Resident Evil fan. A battery pull might not hurt as well.
    I got to Step 3, about downloading the update OS to my PC nad I got the following error msg:
    We're Sorry...

* You've entered this page in error because you have the incorrect link.

Please make sure that you have the correct link to download BlackBerry software.

If you have any questions, please contact the webmaster.

What to do?
    01-23-11 04:13 PM
    Linda Anne, this one worked for me as AT&T has not released this OS yet:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...BE2BF2D3D7ECE3
    01-23-11 07:00 PM
    Did anyone ever post what improvements this made over the last update?

The original post for .337 is more than 3 pages long and I didn't see anything substantive that made it seem like it was worth the trouble.

Just asking. :S
    01-23-11 09:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD