what's happening with these companies?
    Apple sending out bumpers/silicon cases
    RIM sending out glues ha ha ha!
    08-18-10 10:30 PM
    I am currently on my 4th bb torch in only 7 days, I am all for the folks defending their BB's to the end and trying to deny the "TROLLS" of their due complaints but when I am going to spend over 200 bucks for a phone the last thing I want to see is the damn buttons falling off because I touched them. I live in northeast pa and it is very humid here, the glue literally gave way hours after using it. It was in a bold 9000 case for the most part. That was my 2nd one. The first had insane buzzing in the earpiece ( swapped out before seeing the .161 fix ) but still happened on all 4. 3rd BB would just stop responding period, and just hand stuck on a half between the ALL and FREQUENT tabs. Tried a restore myself before exchange because i was tired of going to the store. Well it didn't work, this is my last try, I love BB to death but I feel really screwed on this model, like it was rushed or not well thought out. I think they tried to do too much at once. New webkit, design, OS, everything. So you can all poke fun at people who have legitimate problems but I gave this phone ( still giving it actually ) a really generous tryout, but if this phone fails again I am done. Will probably switch to Galaxy S although I am not really looking forward to it. I just keep wondering if its really that hard to get a good working phone now a days.....
    08-18-10 10:30 PM
    RIM will be releasing a glue fix it care pack to be sent to all 9800 owners in a few days. Stay tuned for the glue announcement.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ROFLMAO......dude, that's classic

08-18-10 10:36 PM
    it's troublesome to call the AT&T blackberry dept to switch your PIN for the BIS everytime you switch.. and yes you need this to get those emails to the right phone.
    Or you could just go here and do it yourself...

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=mycingular
    08-19-10 12:49 AM
    For the Canadians, this may be a good thing. By the time it releases up here hopefully it gets fixed.

That makes me sad. I was hoping there would be Storm 1 type hardware problems for the sake of RIM's future and sadly it looks like there is a problem. Hopefully they can get it fixed.

Hey- just because I don't use a BB anymore doesn't mean I don't want the company to succeed. :-)
    08-19-10 02:41 AM
    I think you are always going to find the people who get their opinions heard first are the people bit**ing and moaning about a device.

But as I recall, I'm on my third Bold. Swapped out twice due to build quality issues... but the thing I do remember is AT&T being solid, replacing one over the counter within 30 days and mailing me a new new one within year when the second one was bad.... They even sent me a brand new battery because I told the guy in the store mine was loosing charge quickly after 9mos, no questions asked!

It seems, although you'd expect better QC, that some devices slip through and out to the public which just are not fit to be there. This does not mean that the whole device range is a failure, or that RIM have done bad job. It means you got one of the few $hitty devices, so go take advantage of your providers customer service and get it sorted out.

As for the software issues, I seem to remember too that the Bold took a little while to "settle down" before it was in its stride.

Everyone is saying wow has it already been a week? yeah it has... a week. So kick back, relax, enjoy your new devices those of you lucky enough to have them already and if they are still acting up and breaking apart in 15 days time... look at getting yourself a replacement.

Just my initial thoughts on the way this is looking.
    08-19-10 06:53 AM
    well, my torch (4 days old) just had the front buttons start coming off... what a drag. I will go exchange it on Monday .. I know I could try the crazy glue route, but since I am still in my 30 day warranty I might as well grab a new device. Generally, I have been happy with the phone, and find it a huge improvement over my old first generation Bold that I just moved from.

That being said, I just hope I don't get a lemon as the new phone, since other than the buttons falling off, everything else seems to be working.
    08-27-10 07:15 PM
    to those who experienced the front buttons fall off, prior to that happening, did you guys notice your buttons were making that 'unsticking' noise when you press them? my torch is making that noise when i press them or even when my fingers just graze over them (like there's plastic on it but there's none) but looking at the buttons, they lay flushed against the side bezel so no part/corner sticking out. however i'm just afraid that the noise the buttons are making are signs that they will fall off eventually and i don't want that to happen after my 30 days.
    08-27-10 07:59 PM
    to those who experienced the front buttons fall off, prior to that happening, did you guys notice your buttons were making that 'unsticking' noise when you press them? my torch is making that noise when i press them or even when my fingers just graze over them (like there's plastic on it but there's none) but looking at the buttons, they lay flushed against the side bezel so no part/corner sticking out. however i'm just afraid that the noise the buttons are making are signs that they will fall off eventually and i don't want that to happen after my 30 days.
    ditto +1. I just started hearing these sounds as well, tonight in fact and was wondering the exact same thing as you, and then saw your post. For sure am monitoring this issue. Hopefully we'll learn more here.
    08-28-10 12:14 AM
    Just picked up my 2nd torch ... will keep an eye on the buttons. At the ATT store in downtown SF the guy who helped me said I was only the second one he had seen with this problem .. but acknowledged that teh tiny bit of doublesided tape holding the buttons in place is a bit skimpy (and once it peels back and you get some grit in there, you are sunk). If it happens again I may go the crazy glue route!
    08-30-10 02:22 PM
    The whole phone has been a failure:
    Hizzing sound when you speak on a call
    Letters missplaced: L for back space
    Clicky sound of the phone sliding system
    Poor speaker phone volume
    Poor battery life
    +what we already know: poor screen resolution, slow processor rendering a laggy device.
    Pretty sure the list will keep on growing in the next few days.

Wow they must have built this thing where they built the 9630 phones at, and RIM's QA is obviously getting worse. I had a 9630 with bad trackball and horrible mic, replaced with a new one 8 months later and it was perfect ball and mic but the headphone jack wouldn't let jack in all the way, and it was replaced with a refurb that has poor mic again.
    08-30-10 03:06 PM
    If mine starts to peel off it'll just stick it back on with that heavy duty double sided carpet tape. I've used it on my storm and my bold 9700 to re-attach panels. Works great.

08-30-10 03:35 PM
    If mine starts to peel off it'll just stick it back on with that heavy duty double sided carpet tape. I've used it on my storm and my bold 9700 to re-attach panels. Works great.

Maybe RIM should have used that in the first place instead of the weak stuff they are currently using.
    08-30-10 04:09 PM
    This is what worries me about buying a CDMA torch, when available, or any other new blackberry for that matter. RIM's QA and quality in general has been on a downward slope. I'm sure its from cost cutting and trying to get the cost per unit to a minimum, but I started off with an 8830 which was a very solid device that you could throw at someone like in that funny commercial about the phone with the "security feature", and not worry about it. Had that phone for a year with 0 problems, then I went to the Tour. I'm on my 3rd one now and its a refurb with low mic problems. The second new Tour was perfect until I tried to plug a set of headphones in and it only went in halfway!! Really that isn't a test you do at the end of the assembly line!!! Now I'm seeing people complain about the buttons coming off on Torches, buttons in the wrong place, etc, and wonder if I should even attempt to get a new Blackberry of any type if they are just shoving this junk out the door without a care for quality. The bad thing is I need BBM for my job, a world phone, and I need a decent web browser from a phone so I can check things like my son's football team info (on a site that currently can't be logged into with my Tour's **** poor browser), so I know I'm going to have to upgrade sometime just to get the usable browser. It's just sad that devices you have to pay $200 for with a contract are having so many issues like pieces falling off. People say HTC has horrible quality, and they did for sure, but at least they seem to be improving with the newer models.
    08-31-10 07:24 AM
    A point to remember, most people with a good functioning device won't come to a help forum to fix issues. I will agree the one piece button design is a failure more for the adhesive they used, but putting pressure on one part will push up another. They either should have used the hard plastic buttons and spent the few extra dollars in my opinion.

As far as buttons labled wrong or in the wrong place, clearly a defect and return for a new phone. I am on torch number 2 and haven't seen any wrong button issues, just the fron panel button problem. In the case of the low mic, or tinny call, or even lagging, a new os will help a lot and maybe even increase battery consumption too. I've seen it with the storm and tried just about every OS we had available to us. Some were better than others. I think the leaked os helps with a few of the afore mentioned problems. The loose slider people talk about, I don't see it as much as some. I've owned a few slider phones and comparitvly the torch has a very good slider. I do get a slight left/right wiggle only if I'm pushing it to do so. If you think this slider design is bad I suggest looking at a few other slider designs to compare it too. I agree it would be nice to have a design where it could be tightened or loosened without having to take the phone apart. Like behind the battery or something.

All-in-all, the torch is a good phone with a few killer design flaws, but worth checking out if you like blackberry. At least you have 30 days to test the device yourself before being stuck with it. Putting it through your own tests will go a lot further than reading some opinions here anyways.

08-31-10 08:02 AM
    The panel on my 2nd Torch (the first one never made it out of the store as the slider was very loose) was fine for two weeks, but then I started to hear a strange noise, just from touching the buttons not pressing them, which I now realize was likely the result the panel beginning to become unattached. So yesterday back to AT&T. They gave me a replacement which was the same if not worse, out of the box. I then asked for another, which so far so good, though I sometimes still hear a slight variation of the sound.

They told me no more replacements and that I'd have to go through warranty next time (or of course I could return it). Reason: they claimed that AT&T (and their store) eats 70% of the cost of the phone.

UPDATE: well it got worse, and replaced it for another; no problems with buttons, but keypad was messed up; so again they (a different store, where the sales guys agreed with the problem etc) gave me a new one: guess what, all seems good except the buttons are making the strange noises again. I have little hair left on my head.
    Last edited by CSO; 09-05-10 at 01:21 AM.
    08-31-10 03:07 PM
    Got my torch...my front buttons are making noises as i click them...should i be concerned ? Pete
    08-31-10 06:41 PM
    Yes, you should be very concerned... Read the thread. (Did you?)
    09-04-10 11:29 PM
    I've had my torch for about a month now and the buttons were loose from the start, last week i was messing around with them and pulled them off and tried to glue it with crazy glue but some of the buttons got stuck, so i pulled them off again (destroying the little plastic plate now) and ordered a replacement strip for $8.99 plus shipping = $13.50. I'm waiting for it in the mail now hopefully the adhesive is better on this one, i assume they are aftermarket.. Has anyone else done this?
    09-14-10 11:26 PM
    Or you could just go here and do it yourself...

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=mycingular
    or go into the email settings on your new device, it will automatically ask you to switch to the new PIN and validate your emails.....
    09-15-10 08:51 AM
    The panel on my 2nd Torch (the first one never made it out of the store as the slider was very loose) was fine for two weeks, but then I started to hear a strange noise, just from touching the buttons not pressing them, which I now realize was likely the result the panel beginning to become unattached. So yesterday back to AT&T. They gave me a replacement which was the same if not worse, out of the box. I then asked for another, which so far so good, though I sometimes still hear a slight variation of the sound.

They told me no more replacements and that I'd have to go through warranty next time (or of course I could return it). Reason: they claimed that AT&T (and their store) eats 70% of the cost of the phone.

UPDATE: well it got worse, and replaced it for another; no problems with buttons, but keypad was messed up; so again they (a different store, where the sales guys agreed with the problem etc) gave me a new one: guess what, all seems good except the buttons are making the strange noises again. I have little hair left on my head.
    i think your just a bit paranoid... lol no offense but really... if they are all making this sound, then maybe its "normal"
    Last edited by c_86; 09-16-10 at 09:06 AM.
    09-15-10 08:54 AM
    Sometimes my front panels feels 'cheap' but it has not come off yet lol. Tonight I am placing my Zagg shield on it. This should hold my front panel down for good.
    09-15-10 09:52 AM
    I've had mine about a week, panel came loose within a day, going back for an exchange.

I figured by now this would have been fixed.
    11-30-10 09:27 AM
    I got a free BB Torch for free as an incentive for my existing Rogers account, after less than a month the front panel peels off, I tried getting a replacement since it is still under the 30 day manufacturers warranty, the stupid fools in the Rogers store refuses to honor the warranty, insisting instead that it was my fault and it was a physical damage. yeah so much for a costumer service, they refuse to acknowledge that there is an inherent problem with the device and blame their costumers instead. any other victims like me out there should file class action lawsuit for this unscrupulous business practices.
    05-02-11 09:09 PM
    I got a free BB Torch for free as an incentive for my existing Rogers account, after less than a month the front panel peels off, I tried getting a replacement since it is still under the 30 day manufacturers warranty, the stupid fools in the Rogers store refuses to honor the warranty, insisting instead that it was my fault and it was a physical damage. yeah so much for a costumer service, they refuse to acknowledge that there is an inherent problem with the device and blame their costumers instead. any other victims like me out there should file class action lawsuit for this unscrupulous business practices.
    Try another location, or contact RIM directly. Someone will honour your warranty, it's just a matter of getting the right person, as many sales reps (Rogers seems to have a hard time with this...) are rather foolish and unwilling to help customers, unless it's helping them sign into a new 3 year.
    05-05-11 04:18 AM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD