OK i am trying really hard here not to be upset at my inlaws.My step Daughter whom they spoil incessantly and make my 2 boys feel like crap have done the ultimate in my book for now.Here is the thing,she is 12 almost 13 in july and they went and bought her a BB pearl!!!!
    Now I was gonna get her a sidekick so she can text and all cause she does that and she has unlimited texting(they pay her bill)Now I am 31 and I just now got me a curve and My husband who is 36 does not have one.So here is my question,anyone else think she is too young for this phone?
    I dont know what to say or do.Now I know she will not have internet(they think she dont need that but needs this phone-go figure)but still this phone is loaded and i am really wondering if i should worry about it.

any help would be great

thanks

U can pin me too if youd like to talk
    242f35d9
    Last edited by blackberryfairy; 04-14-08 at 01:41 PM. Reason: forgot my pin
    04-14-08 01:39 PM
    I would say 15
    04-14-08 01:44 PM
    I'd say way too young. But I got my first cell at 20 so maybe it's just me. And first berry at 26
    04-14-08 01:44 PM
    I would say at least 16, if not 18..
    12 is just way to young, if you ask me..
    04-14-08 01:46 PM
    My opinion is anyone under the age of 18 owning a phone that costs most than $100 is spoiled.
    04-14-08 01:49 PM
    When they are old enough to pay for it themselves.
    04-14-08 01:50 PM
    That's too young... I hope that sidekick you were thinking of was the I.D. because any other Sk would cost more than a Pearl. You can always add unlimited plan to a cheap phone. I'm thinking 16 is she has a part time job.
    Last edited by chynnamann; 04-14-08 at 02:04 PM.
    04-14-08 01:54 PM
    16 at least.. or when she can pitch in some for the bill.

I understand why you're angry. This was definitely something that they shouldn't discussed w/ the parents first, even if she's only your step daughter.
    04-14-08 02:07 PM
    I think is is hard to put an age on cell phones - everyone seems to feel very different. But somewhere between 15-16 depending on the child, but a BB seems a bit much. Maybe a mature kid working part time to help pay for their phone, or a really responsible kid with excellent grades could use a phone like a BB in many useful ways. I don't think a 12 year old should have anything more than a prepaid that a parent can control minutes as allowance or rewards. Thats what I did. My son started at 13 with a trac phone and when he got a part-time job we put him on our family plan with restrictions. Worked out great. At 18 he was working enough to get his own plan with whatever features he wanted.
    Giving a 12 a BB does not teach them anything. I can see why you are upset. Spoiled by grandparents. Your boys not getting the same treatment...............I feel your pain. I was in a similar sitution with my ex
    Last edited by Jeanetteh1960; 04-14-08 at 02:11 PM.
    04-14-08 02:07 PM
    Blackberries are seriously for mature grown folks who can pay their own bill. At a young age they shouldn't jump into new car... get the good ole' reliable used one...lol
    04-14-08 02:10 PM
    I agree with Jeanette.

I had a pager throughout high school and was only able to use my cell (which my parents owned and paid for) on the weekends but only to receive calls from them and only to call them. I obviously couldn't hide that since they see the bill. My opinion, a teenager should have a cell phone nowadays for safety reasons mainly.

Great that her grandparents got her a BB but it's overkill. She's obviously not going to use the phone to what it was intended to be. Sucks because since they're spoiling her, she's probably going to expect the same from you and your hubby.
    04-14-08 02:13 PM
    Sorry but, this sounds more like a personal issue than a "phone" issue to me.
    04-14-08 02:14 PM
    I saw on another forum that this cell phone salesman who worked at Sams Club had a 7 yr old come up to him with a CC and told him that she needed a pink razr right now..her mom pulled her away and told her that her pearl worked fine and that her 8 yr old brother had a curve.
    04-14-08 02:15 PM
    I got my first cell at 16 but I was working nights after school at the time.
    04-14-08 02:16 PM
    i got my first BB a couple months ago, im 18.

BB for a 12 y/o is a bit too early IMO.

i got my first mobile phone when i was 10 though. no BBs, just a regular phone.
    04-14-08 02:16 PM
    I saw on another forum that this cell phone salesman who worked at Sams Club had a 7 yr old come up to him with a CC and told him that she needed a pink razr right now..her mom pulled her away and told her that her pearl worked fine and that her 8 yr old brother had a curve.
    Ok that is a little ludicrous.....little kids dont need damn cell phones unless their parents are that terrible at parenting that the cellphone is their tracking device.
    04-14-08 02:17 PM
    I 15 and I got BlackBerry Curve.

FYI...I got my first cell phone at age of 11.
    04-14-08 02:21 PM
    Wowto those young ones.My step daughter for the most part is a good kid with pretty good grades most of the time.She is very helpful around the house to the extent,but the issue im having is that she tends tobe very selfish at times and this does no good to try to get her out of that habit,because they do stuff like this alot.since I have no choice really on this should I just monitor it more than I already do?Right now she has to give me the phone everyday after school and she has to ask when she wants to use it so I know when and what she is doing.The only time she gets it(when she is not grounded)without me asking is on the weekends and even then I check her usage ALOT.She dont get things like this from me or husband or her mom and her husband,so she knows if she wants something she does without if its relly outragous,or she has to work for it.

I am glad all you responded I just dont know how to handle once she gets it
    (28th)i beleive Im just so mad because my sons cel phone who is the same ag is a plain ole samsung

pisses me off

she has had plain ole phones since she was 11 including prepaid ones.I was looking for a texting mp3 phone and next thing i knoew she got this pearl
    Last edited by blackberryfairy; 04-14-08 at 02:25 PM. Reason: neede to respond
    04-14-08 02:23 PM
    I would say when they are old enough to pay. If you read the sidekick forums the kids are always doing something that ends up breaking the phone. My vote is for age 18-20.
    04-14-08 02:37 PM
    Ages limit for cell phone:

Under 8 = Firefly* or Just too young to have a cell phone.

8 - 12 = A prepaid cell phone

12 - 18 = A regular cell phone**

Over 18 = Have any kind of phone that you like, I preferred the BlackBerry.

* http://www.fireflymobile.com/?osCsid...k19p0ovti5lu93

** Postpiad

Agreed?
    04-14-08 02:38 PM
    I think when a kid starts driving is when they need a cell phone. That's the way it was for me, anyway. As for a BB... I think when they can pay for it and the plan themselves. That goes for texting capabilities too, imo.

Now, I've seen kids who are in 4th grade (10 - 11 years old) with cell phones and that bothers me but I think if it were just for keeping in contact with parents (and a really basic phone), I can understand it. Like, my parents used to be late to pick me up and if they could've called to tell me, I would have appreciated it.
    04-14-08 02:40 PM
    My nephew is 7 & he has the FireFly - which I think is a great idea. I think cell phones as a safety precaution are a good idea, though no one younger than 18 really needs a Blackberry.
    04-14-08 02:44 PM
    If we are talking about just a regular cell phone than I have to say middle school. We bought our daughter (11) A Firefly (pay as you go plan) so that we have a way to contact her and for her to contact us if she stays late at school for activities or when she is with friends.

If we are talking about a Blackberry like the thread title suggests than I say if they can't pay for it themselves than they are too young.
    04-14-08 02:45 PM
    Well, it depends. Are they responsible?
    I'm 12 turning 13 in May, and i'm planning on getting a BB Pearl for my birthday. All of you guys are saying that we are to young to even have a phone! Well, about every kid has a cell phone these days, and I have about 3 friends who own BBs. Don't you think that if the kid is responsible enough to own a BB should get one? I'm not spoiled or anything.. but having your first cellphone at 15? That's a little too crazy. We need it to contact our parents, and sometimes even our friends for emergencies. I'm in 7th grade by the way and have all A's-A+'s.
    Last edited by aliishhaxo; 04-14-08 at 02:52 PM.
    04-14-08 02:48 PM
    I say anyone still in highschool is to young. High schoolers don't have a need for a BB. Also anyone who can't pay for there own is to young.

Well, it depends. Are they responsible?
    I'm 12 turning 13 in May, and i'm planning on getting a BB Pearl for my birthday. All of you guys are saying they we are to young to even have a phone! Well, about every kid has a cell phone these days, and I have about 3 friends who own BBs. Don't you think that if the kid is responsible enough to own a BB should get one? I'm not spoiled or anything.. but having your first cellphone at 15? That's a little too crazy. We need it to contact our parents, and sometimes even out friends for emergencies. I'm in 7th grade by the way and have all A's-A+'s.
    You don't need a $300 phone for emergencies. I believe if you can't buy the phone yourself and can't pay for the bill yourself you too young to have one.
    Last edited by CappinHoff; 04-14-08 at 02:52 PM.
    04-14-08 02:49 PM
651 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD