Would like to have voice and data for the week that my wife and I will be down in Mexico. Any specific recommendations for carrier and where to buy a SIM for my unlocked 9700?

No, I'm not planning to work while I'm down there! My BB is also my MP3 player and eBook reader. But, being able to use MSN (for example) and chat with our teenage kids back in Canada while sitting on the beach would be fun.

/ES
    03-11-10 06:41 AM
    I'm no expert, but I was recently down there and was able to get pre-paid SIM cards from Movistar and Telcel. Maybe someone else can chime in with coverage. Not sure about data either since I was just using voice.
    03-11-10 11:19 AM
    I'm no expert, but I was recently down there and was able to get pre-paid SIM cards from Movistar and Telcel. Maybe someone else can chime in with coverage. Not sure about data either since I was just using voice.
    Thanks! Anyone have any comments/recommendations for voice + data too?!

/ES

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-10 10:43 PM
    I would go with Telcel, it might be a little more expensive but the coverage and 3G makes a worlf of difference (as I see you have a 9700)

When you arrive try to go to a "Sanborns" store or ask around, it's pretty easy and they sell them in a lot of places. Get the Prepaid SIM, and buy the BIS plan, it's not unlimited (in prepaid) but they give you enough data IMHO (like 700MB for a week last time I used)

Get a 200 or 300 Pesos card, as they usually give a bonus (100 pesos card sometimes does not) as you will probably use it.

For the BIS simply send a message to "5050" with one of the following codes:
    BBI2 $79.00
    BBI7 $199.00
    BBI15 $299.00
    BBI30 $499.00

For the amount of days you will be there, and it will activate right away. The number on each message states the amount of days you will activate the service (2, 7, 15, 30)

Good luck and enjoy your trip.
    03-12-10 12:12 AM
    Wow! What a detailed response! Thank you very much. I assume the figures (example: BBI7 $199.00) in the text messages that I need to send to activate BIS are pesos? Also, if I chose BBI7 for 199 pesos, this will be deducted from the amount that I paid in total for the card. So, for example, if I purchase a 300 pesos card and chose BBI7, I would have 100 pesos left for voice?

/ES
    03-12-10 05:34 AM
    When I was in Mexico this past November, all my coverage was listed as Telcel, and my original plan was to get a SIM from them.. However, there was nowhere nearby to get one, and I just stuck with my normal AT&T usage, just in moderation. Cost a little bit more for that month's total, but nothing outrageous, and was obviously more convenient. If you're going to use a lot of voice and data, then yes, certainly check into getting a SIM.
    03-12-10 08:52 AM
    When I was in Mexico this past November, all my coverage was listed as Telcel, and my original plan was to get a SIM from them.. However, there was nowhere nearby to get one, and I just stuck with my normal AT&T usage, just in moderation. Cost a little bit more for that month's total, but nothing outrageous, and was obviously more convenient. If you're going to use a lot of voice and data, then yes, certainly check into getting a SIM.
    I'll get a Telcel SIM and BIS while I'm there and let you know how it works. The phone's unlocked so I might as well take advantage of it.

/ES

03-13-10 08:46 AM
    This whole discussion has become academic. I dropped my BB 9700 in the lagoon at our resort. It was under for maybe 30 seconds but I'm pretty sure it's toast. There goes my MP3 player and eBook reader! Good thing I have the laptop with me to talk with the kids but ...ouch!
    03-14-10 09:13 PM
    Take the battery out! Get pure alcohol 90% or more, dunk the berry in the alcohol to clean it out, then put it in a bag with either silica gel packs (the ones used with medicine - ask at a phamacy if they will give you some), or uncooked rice, for at least 24 hours. Then pray, and put the battery back in.
    03-14-10 09:25 PM
    Thanks. Will report back. /ES
    03-15-10 07:41 AM
    I just got back from Mexico and just paid for the worldwide data through my US provider (Sprint in my case). It cost me about $10 USD for all the data I wanted. - much more convenient than going the prepaid route.

HOWEVER - If I was planning on making any phone calls at all, I would have gotten a cheap-o prepaid phone (as I don't technically have a "world phone" - I can do international anywhere that has CDMA but don't have a sim slot to use in my normal phone). The principle is essentially the same.

My best friend lives in Mexico this semester and highly recommends Telcel for the 3G coverage.
    03-15-10 12:40 PM
    This whole discussion has become academic. I dropped my BB 9700 in the lagoon at our resort.
    As long as you got Adrienne Barbeau to fish it out for you...
    03-15-10 03:08 PM
    Ouch to bad you dropped your Blackberry. Hope you still have a great trip!
    03-21-10 03:15 AM
    Ouch to bad you dropped your Blackberry. Hope you still have a great trip!
    Thanks for the post! Had a great trip actually. I had to replace it (my own $$ btw) but it didn't ruin my trip. It was kind of funny to tell the truth. It would've been funnier had it happened to someone else but it is what it is!

The Mayan Riviera is beautiful. With or without my BlackBerry!!

/ES
    03-22-10 07:32 AM
    A happy, but embarassing postscript! My BB 9700 is back from the dead and is fully functional except (yet to be verified) slow WiFi access. I've since bought another one but now what to do with two BB 9700s? Should I sell the old one on eBay with a disclaimer that it appears to be fully functional but had been dropped in a pool?! Or should I sell the brand new one (they're both unlocked BTW) and hang on to the old one. They're both absolutely spotless without a scratch, scuff or any signs of wear.

04-08-10 04:40 PM
    Bringing this thread back from the dead because I have a question: I have found a purveyor of Telcel SIM cards on ebay, and he assures me that all I have to do to get voice and data is put the card in an unlocked BB. Is it really that simple, or is he buffaloing me?
    01-19-11 02:50 PM
    What I plan on doing when I go down there is shutting off wireless and using UMA/wifi off their router at resort...being on T-Mobile FTW! Going to get the worldwide plan or whatever they call it just in case though. Don't plan to use it that much anyway.

Also about phone that was dropped, I wouldn't sell it as it may work one day and be fubar'd the next. So just keep it as a spare. IMO of course.

01-19-11 03:44 PM
    Hahaha Bold, you gotta be part of the right generation to know what FUBAR means! Love that expression.

01-19-11 05:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD