I've tried for hours to sync my data wirelessly with my laptop via bluetooth (mini adapter). But no luck.

I've spent an equally long time scouring the forums. From what I can tell, almost no one can sync via bluetooth. I'm not talking about tethering, but just syncing with Desktop Manager via bluetooth.

I know there are a lot of variables and issues with drivers, etc. However if you do everything you are supposed to do you still can't sync.

Why is this ok? Seems like it would be a big problem for some like it is for me. Has this been addressed in some kind of announcement or knowledge base article or something like that that I am not aware of?

What am I missing?

Help!
    08-07-09 10:24 AM
    Information about the computer OS and versions of the program would be greate

I have had no problems with BT sync, and have the da** thing on auto so that when the device is in the vicinity of my computer sync is running....
    08-07-09 10:28 AM
    Thanks for the reply, I'm glad it's working for someone. It sounds awesome.

I'm using a BB Tour. That actually just reminded me to update my profile.

I bought a Rocketfish bluetooth adapter and plugged it in.

My BB OS is 4.7.

My computer OS is Windows XP.

I did not install the WidComm usb drivers. I'm using the Microsoft XP SP2 default drivers.

Here is the strange part. I can get the computer and my BB linked up and accept the connection. However, when I hit the blackberry menu button there is no option to connect or disconnect. There is everything but that. It's just all messed up.
    08-07-09 10:35 AM
    Is windows working with or without parity codes? I had problems at the beginning but they where solved by an update that showed up in windows update, the problem was that sometimes windows didn't recognize my bb device when i connected other times the connection was dropped - the update from microsoft was all that was needed for the connection to stabilize.

When i connect manually i use the DM to search for the device and initiate the connection with windows and all else is done on auto. There seems to be a problem when i have my BT cloaked but this is normally very easy to rectify....
    08-07-09 10:48 AM
    ^^ Thanks for the reply but that all is a little over my head, which might be what the actual problem is...

DM doesn't give me an option to connect or search (it's greyed out).
    08-07-09 12:01 PM
    Normally when you have a bt connection on your computer you get to choose is you want other bt units to be able to detect your computer - this is the cloaking I'm speaking of. You can disable this in windows by choosing connection options on your BT icon in the tray.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-09 12:31 PM
    I see. I definitely had it on "discoverable" mode. Both the BB and the Bluetooth were discoverable. I got them linked up no problem. They just wouldn't talk to each other.

It was like they were only set up on a limited basis. Like the computer would use the phone as a phone, or the phone would use the computer as a speaker or something. There was no sync capability and DM never knew it was there.

However I'm not sure about the parity and all that...
    08-07-09 01:36 PM
    Ok, have you paired the bb and the computer? If not then do so via the bb and enable encryption and object push services. Then the computer will ask you to type a parity code, which should be provided by the bb. The computer should now install a driver for the bb device and you should be able to see a new communication port. I'll upload some pictures as soon as I'm able to, they will show the entire process of making the BT sync work.

08-07-09 04:14 PM
    Many PCs have a third-party Bluetooth stack. My attempts at using Bluetooth sync with Windows XP SP3 (Dell) failed, and the various tech support people I talked to all indicated BlackBerry works only with the native Windows Bluetooth stack. I need the Dell BT stack for other stuff (wireless keyboard, mouse) so I abandoned my attempts.

Last edited by jbeachy; 08-07-09 at 08:47 PM.
    08-07-09 08:45 PM
    Ok, have you paired the bb and the computer? If not then do so via the bb and enable encryption and object push services. Then the computer will ask you to type a parity code, which should be provided by the bb. The computer should now install a driver for the bb device and you should be able to see a new communication port. I'll upload some pictures as soon as I'm able to, they will show the entire process of making the BT sync work.

I get what you're saying. Yes, I've done this. Typed in the code and connected the two. And I still couldn't sync! Bluetooth option is greyed out in DM.
    08-07-09 11:41 PM
    Many PCs have a third-party Bluetooth stack. My attempts at using Bluetooth sync with Windows XP SP3 (Dell) failed, and the various tech support people I talked to all indicated BlackBerry works only with the native Windows Bluetooth stack. I need the Dell BT stack for other stuff (wireless keyboard, mouse) so I abandoned my attempts.

Thanks for the post. I have taken this into account as well. I am using the Microsoft bluetooth stack. I uninstalled the WidComm drivers and am using Microsoft.

Still nothing!
    08-07-09 11:42 PM
    Wow, BVR, you have been thorough and knowledgeable, ruthless and relentless in your pursuit of Blutooth connectivity! Maybe it's just not destined to be? :-) Sorry, couldn't help myself. I have to say I was not nearly so persistent in my attempts before I gave up! I hope you are eventually successful!

08-08-09 09:57 AM
    So, when you open DM and use the CONNECTION OPTIONS Bluetooth is not available?

I've got it working with my Vista Home but it did take uninstalling the wrong drivers.
    08-08-09 10:29 AM
    Ok, i have now made an step-by-step guide on how to make BT sync work!!

Just follow the steps and descriptions and you should be fine...

I know that i'm using Windows 7 but the procedure is the same on XP - i know because i have tried it on my other computer too

As you know, I wrote about proximity connection and sync that is due to a function on the program that was with my BT dongle. I don't know if any other vendors have something similar....

Finally you have to use 7zip to extract the file because it's zipped as 7z. You can get the newest version of 7zip at 7-Zip

When the guide is extracted you have to use Internet Explorer to view the steps, this is because i used a built-in feature of windows which only makes .mht files - these files are only functional in Internet Explorer

Good luck, and should you need further help just ask
    08-08-09 02:40 PM
    ^^^

Dude- You are my hero...

I won't have time to try it out until the morning, but I'll let you know how it goes. If you solved this mystery then you've made a lot of people happy.
    08-08-09 06:11 PM
    how was it??
    08-09-09 01:09 PM
    Holy **** it worked. Now whenever I get close to my work computer the information syncs wirelessly. So I have my little charging pod and I drop it in and all my stuff transfers back and forth. It's kind of like being on the BES if I'm right next to my computer, except that I save $20 a month.

Sweet!

I could have sworn that I've tried to do this before, but it just worked this time so I must have been leaving a step out or something.

The instructions are great, thanks again. However, I think that there are some screens that repeat? Not sure if it was the way I was viewing it or what.

Thanks again, HUGE help. Now I don't have to throw my bluetooth dongle into the ocean.
    08-10-09 08:19 AM
    Holy **** it worked. Now whenever I get close to my work computer the information syncs wirelessly. So I have my little charging pod and I drop it in and all my stuff transfers back and forth. It's kind of like being on the BES if I'm right next to my computer, except that I save $20 a month.

Sweet!

I could have sworn that I've tried to do this before, but it just worked this time so I must have been leaving a step out or something.

The instructions are great, thanks again. However, I think that there are some screens that repeat? Not sure if it was the way I was viewing it or what.

Thanks again, HUGE help. Now I don't have to throw my bluetooth dongle into the ocean.
    Your welcome, and yes some screens do repeat but i haven't really made the document - it's a feature built in windows that automatically takes screen captures, the service is called "Problem Steps Recorder" or "psr.exe".

I could fine tune the guide but have no time at the moment....
    08-10-09 08:49 AM
    Hey, if it works it works. There are literally dozens of threads on this problem, and this is the first solution. Should be a sticky.
    08-10-09 09:33 AM
    Hey, if it works it works. There are literally dozens of threads on this problem, and this is the first solution. Should be a sticky.
    I made some small adjustments and have now removed all the unnecessary screen dumps. I made a new thread about the solution: http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/how-sync-via-bt-290356/
    08-10-09 10:40 AM
    Ditto on the thanks for the info.
    12-22-09 10:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD