I've read several threads here and elsewhere as well as comments in reviews about problems with the Blackberry Trackpads. They include such problems as trackpads tilting, sinking down into the case, chipping, peeling, etc. I've also read some very interesting fixes that have been effected as well as suggestions by other owners as to how they fixed their BB trackpads. As I am thinking of getting another Smartphone soon and am leaning towards BB, I am more than just a bit concerned as to just how pervasive these problems are.

Since I'll probably be going with Verizon, there's only one BB currently in their offerings that doesn't feature the trackpad, the 9630 Tour, and it doesn't offer WiFi, a feature I really want to have on my phone. But it's trackball isn't as easy to change out as the ones on my 8300 and 8310. You have to open the case to change it out and Goodbye Warranty. My current favorites are the 9330 and 9650, both with trackpads.

How frequently do these problems occur? Can most, or at least some of the problems be the result of folks who press too hard on the trackpad, just as some people hammer at a keyboard?

From looking them over, it would seem to be a very easy task to change out the trackpad, but they are expensive and again.............Bye, Bye warranty. And I don't like changing out BB's. It's a real a pain the "you know what" having to contact vendors to get software keys for the new PIN.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks for you time and consideration.
    11-02-10 02:49 PM
    I have the 9650 and the 9700 and have never had a problem with the trackpad not working in anyway. With that being said when I purchased my 9650 it does have a slanted trackpad, it is annoying to look at but doesn't effect the phone's performance in anyway. Most people don't know this though that the trackpad which looks black is actually purple. It is really a covering to the eye underneath it. This is what is actually seeing your thumb move. So you can get the top messed up and as long as the eye can see you clearly you are fine in terms of usage. I would get the bold 9650 no questions asked though.
    11-02-10 02:54 PM
    Mine is slightly tilted and works fine. My friend's 9700 has the trackpad completely sunked into the BB and back buttons, but again, it works.
    11-02-10 02:56 PM
    I've had my 9700 for 11mos and have never had trackpad issues. MUCH better than the trackball for sure!
    11-02-10 03:33 PM
    Only issues I have with the trackpad is when I use opera mini its so sensitive it makes it unusable but that's not blackberrys fault its opera minis

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-10 03:41 PM
    I would take a trackpad over a trackball any day. I went from an 8530 to a Tour and while I love the Tour the trackball drives me nuts sometimes. I never had any issues with my 8530's trackpad in the time I had the device.
    11-02-10 03:47 PM
    I love my trackpad. Works perfectly. It is not level by about .0001 degrees, just a TAD uneven, but doesn't hurt a thing, actually makes it easier to find the track pad without having to look down.
    11-02-10 04:07 PM
    I came from the Curve 8330 to the Bold 9650. Out of the box from Verizon my trackpad was slightly tilted. Had my 9650 since the end of July and it works great with no issues. The 9650 is a great phone.....love it!!
    11-02-10 04:08 PM
    I don't think you can anymore but do not get the Tour 9630. My trackball got messed up within the first few months and I have been suffering for over a year now. Upgrading as soon as I get my NE2.
    11-02-10 07:15 PM
    This is the first I've seen of someone mentioning possible issues with the trackpads (aside from the crooked ones, which doesn't effect performance anyway) I absolutely love my trackpad and couldn't imagine owning a BB without one now
    11-02-10 07:47 PM
    same, love my trackpad much more than the trackball. Mines not tilted and has no flaws and given no issues
    11-02-10 07:50 PM
    The trackpad is awesome imo. One of the single best changes RIM has made. I liked the trackball because it had great accuracy, but it gave me some issues and I replaced often once phone was used for 6+ months.

11-02-10 09:26 PM
    Like everyone else, my trakpad works great - much better than my old trackball device. I've had 2 9700s and seen several others and have yet to see a tilted one.

11-02-10 10:54 PM
    I have never had any issues with my trackpad and would choose it over the trackball any day. My trackpad is smooth and cannot get gritty and dirt under it to stop it from working like the trackball can. I wouldn't even bother with the trackball and would go right to the trackpad.

11-02-10 11:07 PM
    Trackpad over trackball any day. While nice in theory, the trackballs were way too prone to get dust and debris trapped inside the assembly, and also picking all the oils from your thumb - making their performance erratic and inconsistent to say the least.
    11-02-10 11:31 PM
    Works fine for me. Much preferred over the trackball.
    11-03-10 12:16 PM
    I would rather have a track pad over a ball. The slight slant isn't very noticeable nor does it hamper operation in anyway... The ball does need to be removed and cleaned from time to time.

Regarding Opera Mini, its bad they haven't fixed that issue yet. Even with the H and V sensitivity set as low as it will go it doesn't work

11-03-10 03:09 PM
    Yeah the trackpads are not a fail point like the trackballs used to be.

Even the tilted ones almost always work well.

I have 33 local friends on my Blackberry Messenger list and I don't know of any that have had any issue with the trackpad. (not all of them have a trackpad device but a good portion of them do.)

Almost all with trackballs have had some issue at some point.
    11-03-10 03:17 PM
    Thanks for the feedback. I feel much more comfortable about getting one now. I'm really looking forward to getting back to a BB.
    11-04-10 07:41 PM
    trackpad better then the trackball, trackballs always getting stuck
    11-04-10 07:50 PM
    I'm also surprised to hear of trackpad issues. None of my phones have ever had issues.

Only complaint would be my new Torch; the trackpad isn't as sensitive as my 9700 was.
    11-06-10 07:04 AM
    I have no idea where this idea came from that trackpads are not brilliant - because they are.

I have had zero problems with mine and the learning curve coming from a trackball was equally zero. My wife has a trackball device and I have a 9700 and we are both able to switch phones with no problems.

The trackpad is a superb device, imo.
    11-06-10 07:08 AM
    It's mixed for me.
    The trackpad sometimes gets really hard to use if your hands are a little moist.
    The trackball was easier to control for me. :/ can't beat my brickbreaker scores with the trackpad. Haha

11-06-10 07:38 AM
    It's mixed for me.
    The trackpad sometimes gets really hard to use if your hands are a little moist.
    The trackball was easier to control for me. :/ can't beat my brickbreaker scores with the trackpad. Haha

^ lol, agreed (Pacman for me!)
    11-06-10 08:24 AM
    Trackpads do not wear out.
    Trackballs have to be replaced once it wears out from use.
    11-06-10 08:58 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD