I know this has been talked about at length, but I just cannot get over the fact that BB does not let you install and run apps from the memory card. That is what it is...a MEMORY card, not a "media" card. It should be treated just like an external hard drive for a PC (of which I have a few and they work just fine).

I switched from Windows Mobile to BB and I LOVE everything about it...but this memory thing is killing me. I just cannot fathom how a superior device like a BB does not allow you to do this.

I have read some people's explanations for this major short-coming. They range from "that's just the way it is" to "BB is too hung up on security to let it happen."

Every explanation I have heard just sounds bogus to me.

If BB is so concerned about security, just release an app through BB App World that allows you to install and run apps from the memory card. Label the app in HUGE text and all CAPS that this is a huge security risk, BB is not responsible...download at your own risk...could cause nuclear Armageddon...blah blah blah.

Then we can install and run apps from the memory card like we should be able to.
    09-11-09 06:34 PM
    Not as easy as it seems due to how the system works probably. Boot up time would be greatly increased, the possibility of someone randomly removing components as it runs is not a good thing and a whole pile of other things.

Yes, others have done it but overall the BB is a good system. It's not like most people run enough 3rd party apps in the most modern devices to really dent the memory anyhow so it's not so bad.

Not to mention a smaller memory footprint forces developers to be extra vigilant and actually make optimized code for size and, I hope, speed.
    09-11-09 06:55 PM
    You cannot install and run apps from the memory card.
    End of story.
    09-11-09 07:21 PM
    Sorry, but this is a huge gripe to me. I will stop bringing it up when it is fixed. There is no reasonable explanation for it. It does not matter the reason...security...stability...load time...whatever. It should be a choice. If I want to put up with all of the above, I should have that option.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-09 07:35 PM
    Sorry, but this is a huge gripe to me. I will stop bringing it up when it is fixed. There is no reasonable explanation for it. It does not matter the reason...security...stability...load time...whatever. It should be a choice. If I want to put up with all of the above, I should have that option.

If this is such a huge issue for you then why did you switch? Can't be that large of an issue, else you'd go back to your previous smart phone. BB has always been this way and I have never needed more HD for apps - ever.

It's like people who buy a SUV and complain about the gas mileage.
    09-11-09 07:38 PM
    Honestly, the thought never occured to me. It seems like such a basic obvious thing that I never thought a device as advanced as BB would not allow it. Even though this is a huge con, the pros outweigh it,
    09-11-09 07:48 PM
    If I remember correctly, my Palm Pilot (when dino's roamed the earth) had this option 12 years ago.
    The OP has a really valid point IMO.

It is just silly to ignore the (up to 32GB) of space available on a card.

I own a 8830WE and we all know the memory limitations but guess what...if i could run apps from the card I would BUY MORE APPS. Duh.

Sure, sure, the closed minded, blind fanboi set will defend anything and everything against RIM, but honest to goodeness, step away and look at it objectivly will you?

Of course I will be purchasing an Onyx when released and be happy with the internal memory, but the main point is still valid.

Pete
    09-11-09 07:50 PM
    Exactly...they would make more app money if they allowed it.

09-11-09 07:54 PM
    I have no need for such thing to ever be made.

Thnx, �Tripster�

09-11-09 07:57 PM
    I believe its a security issue as well. As soon as you make a door there, no matter how well you lock it, I'm sure someone can get in.
    09-11-09 08:18 PM
    I know that...but if I want to open that door, it should be my choice. I do not think this would be the case, but you could tell me that evrybody and their brother could see everything on my BB and I would still want the option.

09-11-09 08:22 PM
    If I remember correctly, my Palm Pilot (when dino's roamed the earth) had this option 12 years ago.
    The OP has a really valid point IMO.
    Handspring is the one that was the catalyst for that with the Springboard platform. So early 2002. And it was buggy and not universal. Early versions did the same thing that Aeroator (sp) does. Copies the files to memory but didn't clean up after itself. (It was also the reason why a lot of POS users would wipe their devices every couple of months to clean out the orphaned files.
    09-11-09 08:38 PM
    Not to mention a smaller memory footprint forces developers to be extra vigilant and actually make optimized code for size and, I hope, speed.
    A size constraint would make things slower, not faster, since virtually everything has a time space tradeoff.

09-11-09 09:24 PM
    Good arguments for using the SD card. As others have said, Palm and WinMo do it, why not BB? Anyone who has a Pearl or an 8830 would be able to install apps if this were an option. The Pearls and WEs are memory-starved right out if the box.

The SUV analogy is not valid. When you buy an SUV, you know what the gas mileage is when you purchase it--it's on the sticker. You need lookj no further than the window to see it. When you buy a BlackBerry, you would never know you can't use the SD card for applications or data unless you read a forum like this one. I believe that's the minority--most don't know these forums exist.

To those who say "I don't need that," surprise! There are other people who have opinions and desires besides yourselves. ;-)
    09-12-09 05:12 PM
    Complaining about what the phone cant do, "until they fix it", doesn't make things better. If you have a point to be made, find someone who has the ability to listen and act on it. I'm new to this site but I doubt, complaining here will get you very far.
    09-12-09 05:20 PM
    Complaining about what the phone cant do, "until they fix it", doesn't make things better. If you have a point to be made, find someone who has the ability to listen and act on it. I'm new to this site but I doubt, complaining here will get you very far.
    Better for people to complain about it instead of praising Blackberry's every
    chance they get. When people praise it gives the maker less incentive to
    improve their product.
    09-12-09 05:23 PM
    Don't get me wrong, I not once said DON'T complain, but instead make your point to someone who might be able to make a difference. Try contacting BB themselves. I just recently started posting on this site but have been visiting the site for quite some time. I come here to get the latest information and help resolve issues that plague whatever BB i'm using at the moment... not to complain that my BB cant do something that it wasn't set up to do.
    09-12-09 05:33 PM
    Don't get me wrong, I not once said DON'T complain, but instead make your point to someone who might be able to make a difference. Try contacting BB themselves. I just recently started posting on this site but have been visiting the site for quite some time. I come here to get the latest information and help resolve issues that plague whatever BB i'm using at the moment... not to complain that my BB cant do something that it wasn't set up to do.
    You're kidding yourself if you think RIM doesn't have their own people trolling
    this site. This and other Blackberry related sites.
    09-12-09 05:34 PM
    Once again... not saying that there aren't BB trolls all through this and any other site. Point being, if theres an issue, go straight to them.

::Question:: I've installed a few apps from the memory card using a .jad or.jar file. Are you referring to the .alx files?
    09-12-09 05:41 PM
    Once again... not saying that there aren't BB trolls all through this and any other site. Point being, if theres an issue, go straight to them.

::Question:: I've installed a few apps from the memory card using a .jad or.jar file. Are you referring to the .alx files?
    It costs $49.99 to connect and talk to RIM over the phone. It's much cheaper
    to come here and talk about issues. They're hear reading that stuff. Where
    else would they go for feedback on their beta leaks? The ones that they leak
    on purpose.
    09-12-09 05:51 PM
    I have a program on my phone called Epocrates. It has information stored on my memory card. So the fact that the main program exists on my device and gets data from my memory card should make this problem at least solvable. I'm wondering how they did this. Could an app developer make a program with as small amount of code as possible on the device, while utilizing the SD card for other data?

09-12-09 06:21 PM
    You're kidding yourself if you think RIM doesn't have their own people trolling
    this site. This and other Blackberry related sites.

Once again... not saying that there aren't BB trolls all through this and any other site.
    [offtopic]RIM people trolling for info has a significantly different connotation than BB trolls. It's to be expected that RIM would have people monitoring such a heavily used BB forum, but I wouldn't call them trolls unless they start posting just to cause trouble.[/offtopic]

I've got plenty of memory on my phone for what I need to load and do. What are you folks doing that you need so much more app memory?
    09-12-09 07:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD