I want to get my teen a blackberry ( for many different reasons).
    My husband says she's too young and not responsible enought for one. Now I've been reading the old posts about teens and blackberry's the youngest I've seen is 15 yro ( mine is 13). My question to my Crackbeery nation is how young is too young. I want to know everyone's opinon on the subject.
    I feel that if you are responsibile enough not to breack the phone and use it well, you can have it. My husband says 13 it too young and get a "throw away" phone.
    What do you think?
    ( she has had a prepaid before)
    Last edited by wendy107; 01-24-09 at 01:08 PM.
    01-24-09 11:06 AM
    good luck. there are quite a few threads on this already but maybe you'll find new insight...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/how...-storm-119486/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/what...have-bb-29736/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/what...ckberry-20726/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/you...y-users-26280/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f51/wha...lphones-89100/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/children-mobiles-187/

i don't have children. however i think it is up to the parents and depends on the child.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 01-24-09 at 11:13 AM.
    01-24-09 11:07 AM
    My niece is 14 and has a pearl. She got it when she was 13. It depends on the child and it depends on how they use it. What BB are you thinking of? Is your daughter coming to you and wanting one or is it your idea? I think some BBs may be too much for children.
    01-24-09 11:10 AM
    I want her to have one and it was my idea. I think some of the app would help her with keeping up with school work dead line and I like being about to use the BB IM with. She uses my phone from time to time.
    01-24-09 11:14 AM
    Thanks for the treads Iwas reading some of them
    01-24-09 11:15 AM
    It depends what she will use the blackberry for? What specific reasons will she need a blackberry for? If its only for status then a regular phone will do just fine. Also who will be paying for the data plan? I'd suggest making her pay for it because if u pay for it, she will think its a right, not a privelage. In my personal opinion, blackberrys for a 13 year old don't mix. Get her a mid range phone with features first. You can't be sure how she will handle having a "normal" phone with text messages and such. Then when she gets older (maybe 16 or 17) and she is mature enough to handle a real cellphone, consider a blackberry. Finally make sure she knows whatever phone she gets will be taken away at anytime without question. My friends daughters got blackberrys (ages 16 and 17) and ran the bill up over 1000 dollars! Needless to say they have go phones now. Let me know if though if this helps!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-09 11:16 AM
    Honestly... we won't have the right answer. You know your teen and you know whether she needs a blackberry or is even responsible for one (if it is only a want).

My answer: Whenever you feel your teen is ready. My son is 2 years old now, but I will probably get him a phone as soon as he is able to understand how to dial me. Heck, I might program every button to be my speed dial.

01-24-09 11:20 AM
    I think 13 is too young, personally. A blackberry gives a child access to things like email, aim, myspace, etc in a way that can't be closely monitored by parents. I'm sure your daughter trustworthy and responsible, it's the rest of the world I would be concerned with. I agree with your husband, I think kids that age should have a basic phone for use only in emergencies. You know your child best though, do what works for your family.

01-24-09 11:20 AM
    It depends what she will use the blackberry for? What specific reasons will she need a blackberry for? If its only for status then a regular phone will do just fine. Also who will be paying for the data plan? I'd suggest making her pay for it because if u pay for it, she will think its a right, not a privelage. In my personal opinion, blackberrys for a 13 year old don't mix. Get her a mid range phone with features first. You can't be sure how she will handle having a "normal" phone with text messages and such. Then when she gets older (maybe 16 or 17) and she is mature enough to handle a real cellphone, consider a blackberry. Finally make sure she knows whatever phone she gets will be taken away at anytime without question. My friends daughters got blackberrys (ages 16 and 17) and ran the bill up over 1000 dollars! Needless to say they have go phones now. Let me know if though if this helps!!

Thanks it does help. I'm trying not to let my love for the BB influence what phone I get for her!!
    01-24-09 11:21 AM
    Great question!! I would say that it depends on 1) what type of kid, and 2) what type of Blackberry! lol If it is one of the more 'rugged' ones that are especially for business, e.g. the 8830 World one, I think that is inappropriate for a kid. But if it is a cute little Pearl or even a Curve, I think that 15+ would probably be good. Those kids text each other like crazy, so I think that it would be good for texting, but probably overkill. Personally, I would probably have my (hypothetical) kids get one of those slide-out phones if they wanted to text. BBs are too expensive and have too many features for a young kid to be using, in my opinion.
    Idk, In my opinion, 13 is too young for an advanced phone. Unless you have a crazy-smart, ultra-organizational 13 year old, I think your paying extra for a BB for no reason.

A cell phone at that age is a stretch to begin with but I understand these days that its necessary to keep track of your kids. My opinion is that you can accomplish the same goal using a regular cell than paying extra for a BB.

But thats just my opinion
    Honestly... we won't have the right answer. You know your teen and you know whether she needs a blackberry or is even responsible for one (if it is only a want).

My answer: Whenever you feel your teen is ready. My son is 2 years old now, but I will probably get him a phone as soon as he is able to understand how to dial me. Heck, I might program every button to be my speed dial.

LOL Thanks
    01-24-09 11:22 AM
    I think 13 is a little young too. Maybe wait a few years. It actually kind of bothers me when I see teens with BBs. But as everyone has been saying, it depends on your kid. Good luck.
    01-24-09 11:26 AM
    So far what I have gotten back maybe a prepaid sidekick or something?
    mike13usn,CaraP,Karama21 and Duvi have make some great points. Is there anything close to a BB in terms of funtion with out giving her the world to explore on her phone.
    01-24-09 11:27 AM
    I think 13 is a little young too. Maybe wait a few years. It actually kind of bothers me when I see teens with BBs. But as everyone has been saying, it depends on your kid. Good luck.

If it helps, she'll be 14 soon.
    01-24-09 11:28 AM
    Also if ur reasons for getting her a blackberry are for organization, just stick to a normal phone, as most phones have nice organizational tools!

01-24-09 11:30 AM
    You should just add her to like a family plan? I see alot of parents doing that since that usually means free minutes to each other.
    01-24-09 11:30 AM
    Obviously it's only your decision. Personally, I won't get my child a Blackberry for a long time. Carrying 3 data plans is a bit excessive. When he becomes a computer geek like me, maybe I'll get it down the road. But then again, he's only 15 months old.
    01-24-09 11:31 AM
    Oh organization I forgot about that. Just get her a notebook planner :P
    01-24-09 11:31 AM
    Also if ur reasons for getting her a blackberry are for organization, just stick to a normal phone, as most phones have nice organizational tools!

Is there one's like the app for bb? I think CRAM is one ( this is the one for studing) and I can't remember the name of the other that helps you with remebering what assignment are due.
    01-24-09 11:36 AM
    Oh organization I forgot about that. Just get her a notebook planner :P
    I agree with that. Cant rely on tech all the time. I didn't get a BB till I graduated college and I swore by my paper planner. Just has some advantages over the phone I think.

And normal phones (like my good 'ol LG) have planners that will more than suffice for the workload of a 14 year old
    01-24-09 11:37 AM
    Obviously it's only your decision. Personally, I won't get my child a Blackberry for a long time. Carrying 3 data plans is a bit excessive. When he becomes a computer geek like me, maybe I'll get it down the road. But then again, he's only 15 months old.
    LOL
    Thanks
    01-24-09 11:38 AM
    So far what I have gotten back maybe a prepaid sidekick or something?
    mike13usn,CaraP,Karama21 and Duvi have make some great points. Is there anything close to a BB in terms of funtion with out giving her the world to explore on her phone.
    You know, my younger sister has a Samsung Rant from Sprint/Nextel, and that is currently like $50 with a 2 year contract. She absolutely LOVES it, and it comes in black, red, and purple. It's really easy for her to text and email, and it is very simple... it has like a "carousel design" were you just scroll across the main screen and it sorts everything by category: if you scroll over the messaging section, a list of Voicemail, Texts, Picture Mail, and Emails come up; if you scroll over Entertainment, it has movie times, etc.; and about 10 different "icons" like this.

I think that it has a lot of the features of the BB, just more simplified, less expensive, and there aren't as many options as far as a full internet browser, numerous instant messengers, etc. Maybe you could look into that and see if you and your husband, and your daughter!, like it!
    Nice closely bb phones are
    The blackjack 2
    Lg vu
    Samsung Eternity
    All those samsung sliders with full qwertys
    And don't forget about the ole razr. They're still popular and flashy!

I agree with that. Cant rely on tech all the time. I didn't get a BB till I graduated college and I swore by my paper planner. Just has some advantages over the phone I think.

And normal phones (like my good 'ol LG) have planners that will more than suffice for the workload of a 14 year old
    So I'm looking at a planner and a nice prepaid phone...... you guys are backing up my husband here!!!!
    ....and I really do appreciate you responses they are helping me and the ideas you guys have been coming up with are great.
    01-24-09 11:41 AM
299 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD