For those users that experience frequent drops in data connection with a new build (particular a leaked beta build) this solution will help you use the new java components but keep your radio from your old, stable code.

1. Locate and Download the OS on your machine that caused your device to have good reception
    2. Locate and Download the OS on your machine that you want to use, but has the data connectivity issues
    3. Install both sets of software on your machine to the default location
    4. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\Shared\Loader Files and locate the two different OS installations.
    5. Open the folder that contains the good radio code
    6. Go to the GSM/UMTS/CDMA folder (your OS package will have one of those folder names) NOT the Java folder
    7. Right click and Copy the only file located there.
    8. Go back to the other OS installation directory and locate the same folder (GSM/UMTS/CDMA) and paste the copied file.
    9. It should ask you to overwrite the current file, Click YES
    10. If it does not ask you, simply delete the file that was already in the directory, and paste the new file in
    11. Go to either Loader.exe under :\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\Apploader or run Desktop Manager.
    12. Update your OS as normal. You will notice that it might say "downgrade" in certain sections for the core OS. This is due to the radio code and should be ignored.
    13. Enjoy your new hybrid OS.

Post any questions you have in this thread. I apologize if this is already here, but i searched and did not find anything. For those users who downgraded to .86 or .90 on the Storm because .99 had horrible Radio, This fix will work for you.

Edit:

Here are the list of Radios that Work at this time

Storm:
    use the .90 Radio in the .99 OS
    use the .90 Radio in the .100 OS

Bold:
    .210 Radio in the .216 Code
    .234 Radio in the .214 Code *causes reboots when browsing the web*
    .234 Radio in the .216 Code
    Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 02-10-09 at 11:18 AM.
    Guatiao likes this.
    02-03-09 08:29 AM
    do you have a solution to the color issues on .99
    02-03-09 11:02 AM
    Thanks Sith, that's awesome. I had great luck with everything about .99, except the radio! I am installing right now, and i will post back with feedback.
    02-03-09 11:41 AM
    do you have a solution to the color issues on .99
    I havent looked at it actually. I am betting it is much more difficult than just switching out a file.
    02-03-09 11:45 AM
    Thanks Sith, that's awesome. I had great luck with everything about .99, except the radio! I am installing right now, and i will post back with feedback.
    Please keep us posted. When i did this everything was rock solid on the device radio wise.
    02-03-09 11:46 AM
    doing this now - thanks Sith - you are THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    02-03-09 12:35 PM
    ok - I did this (confirmed that the file copied over and was overwritten) - but when i finally come back up, I still get the edge / EDGE problem.....any thoughts SITH?
    02-03-09 12:50 PM
    Well i'm having isues even getting the OS on to my Storm. I keep getting app error 523. I tried all my USB ports, and wipe with JL_Cmder. Going to try to load up just .85, and see what happens.
    02-03-09 01:20 PM
    ok - I did this (confirmed that the file copied over and was overwritten) - but when i finally come back up, I still get the edge / EDGE problem.....any thoughts SITH?
    What radio file did you use? I used .90 in the .99 build and it is rock solid.
    02-03-09 01:31 PM
    Well i'm having isues even getting the OS on to my Storm. I keep getting app error 523. I tried all my USB ports, and wipe with JL_Cmder. Going to try to load up just .85, and see what happens.
    Which radio code did you use? did you use .85 in .99? try .90 in .99
    02-03-09 01:33 PM
    Which radio code did you use? did you use .85 in .99? try .90 in .99
    Yes, i used .85 radio file. Thanks, gonna load .90 to my PC and try that.
    02-03-09 01:36 PM
    Moved to "How To" forum
    02-03-09 01:36 PM
    Thank you Garz
    02-03-09 01:38 PM
    OMG, what a helpful thread! I otherwise love .99, but I was starting to notice connectivity issues. I will try your method with the .90 radio code tonight.

I wonder if there is a way to get the bigger font code in to .99? THEN it would be perfect!
    02-03-09 01:45 PM
    What radio file did you use? I used .90 in the .99 build and it is rock solid.

Sorry for the delay - had to dart out of the office to get my kids off the bus! Damn school district shuts down early at the first sign of snow...man!

Anyhoo - it actually DID work Sith - thanks - I just had to do the Battery pull after (forgot in my haste to get out the door to get the little tikes)....all is perfect now...."EDGE" all the time without fail...thanks again kind sir...!!
    02-03-09 02:02 PM
    UPDATE

Works perfectly, Thanks Sith. Maybe an edit to your post stating to use the radio from .90, as i couldn't get the radio from .85 to work, it loaded and then gave me app error 523. Thanks again!
    02-03-09 02:51 PM
    This works on more than just the Storm, so posting just the current OS's may not work. I suppose we can keep an up to date list if the mods want to help me do it.
    02-03-09 05:03 PM
    GJ Sith, this will help a lot of people out that had no clue about this process. Hopefully everyone pays attention and follows the directions properly. Regardless, again, GJ.

Edit: I'll help out any way I can.
    02-03-09 05:06 PM
    Will just need edits to the first post, under where i posted the 9530 information. Right now we dont have any others really, but in the future we might.
    02-03-09 05:07 PM
    sneaky! i love it!
    02-04-09 04:58 PM
    Well thank you very much
    02-04-09 04:58 PM
    can this be done using CrackUtil or should i stick to DM?
    02-04-09 06:20 PM
    Actually, just windows explorer or my computer allows you to copy and paste the files. Then DM to load the OS works just fine.
    02-04-09 06:21 PM
    I mean use CrackUtil to remove the .99, then load the .90 file. It just runs much smoother than DM... im assuming it would work much like pltaylor's instructions for the browser_deamon file?
    02-04-09 06:25 PM
    Not sure those files show in CrackUtil. It isnt a COD or ALX file so it may not. I havent tried. I have found that using Apploader /nojvm works just as fast if not faster than CrackUtil.

Also I am working on another How To post. Gotta show how to use 9500 OS files on the 9530
    02-04-09 06:27 PM
157 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD