So I'm trying to get my corporate e-mail forwarded to my Berry. We have a BES server, but this is a personal phone and I'm not willing to surrender control to the IT geeks - especially after spending years trying to work with the complete hash they've made of our corporate IT systems lol.

So, there are a couple of options:

Corp. does provide Outlook Web Access, and in theory I should be able to set up a BIS email account that accesses the OWA interface instead of the mail server. But it's not playing nice. Maybe I'm just missing a key setting or something. More likely, I'm guessing, the IT wizards are stopping RIM's attempt to connect at the firewall.

The Desktop Redirector sounds like it would work well since I'm mainly looking for connectivity during work hours. But I can't find the bleeding program! Looking at the documentation from RIM, it seems as if this program is a standard part of the desktop manager....but it's not there. I've searched their site trying to find it without any luck.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get this stupid program?
    10-15-08 01:25 PM
    When you downloaded the Desktop manager you have to select BES installation to get the Desktop Redirector.

Are you trying to set up your outlook through the phone set up or have you signed in to your carriers website? I have found it is a bit easier if you sign in via cpu to the carriers website when setting up outlook accounts.
    10-15-08 01:31 PM
    When you downloaded the Desktop manager you have to select BES installation to get the Desktop Redirector.
    Hmmm...the point of using the redirector is because you DON'T have access to a corporate BES server. Not terribly logical on RIM's part, is it? lol

Are you trying to set up your outlook through the phone set up or have you signed in to your carriers website? I have found it is a bit easier if you sign in via cpu to the carriers website when setting up outlook accounts.
    I've been trying to set the account up on the BIS site. On the surface it looks easy enough - just enter there URL, username, password, etc. - but it's not working, which is why I'm guessing I've got a firewall issue, or they've got something tricky hidden in the URL.

Thanks for the info .
    Last edited by kyriefurro; 10-15-08 at 02:12 PM. Reason: "site" needs an "e" :)
    10-15-08 02:09 PM
    So, if I reinstall DTM on my work computer, am I going to have to connect my Berry to it to get it working? And will DTM automatically install an IT policy on it?

(I'm guessing the answer is yes to both questions :P)
    10-15-08 02:14 PM
    When you reinstall the desktop manager under the Bes selection you will have to connect your berry so it can read your pin. It will not download an IT policy on it which is a good thing. The bad thing is that you will get these RIM emails in your inbox that look like their written in a foreign language that tell you do not delete or move because that email needs to connect to the server (or something along those lines), its nothing major but it happens once or twice a day and sometimes can be annoying.
    10-16-08 08:28 AM
    I've been trying to set the account up on the BIS site. On the surface it looks easy enough - just enter there URL, username, password, etc. - but it's not working, which is why I'm guessing I've got a firewall issue, or they've got something tricky hidden in the URL.
    The first time you enter it its going to say unable to connect, then it will ask you if you want to try or enter your own settings-select enter your own settings (that is if you havent already done that since this is from yesterday), the it should ask you if its an outlook account and if you have web access, after that it will give you the page to enter your info.

It does work but it is definitely not as straight forward as it could be, lol.
    10-16-08 08:33 AM
    The first time you enter it its going to say unable to connect, then it will ask you if you want to try or enter your own settings-select enter your own settings (that is if you havent already done that since this is from yesterday), the it should ask you if its an outlook account and if you have web access, after that it will give you the page to enter your info.

It does work but it is definitely not as straight forward as it could be, lol.
    Yeah, I got that far, but for some reason it didn't like the URL. I suspect that it's because there's some sort of redirector that's confusing things, or else they've blocked connections to the OWA server coming from RIM's email servers.
    10-16-08 10:51 AM
    Wow, okay, not much else I could think of except going with the BES installation and using the Desktop Redirector. Sorry I couldnt assist with the BIS install. Let me know how it goes.
    10-16-08 11:04 AM
    Wow, okay, not much else I could think of except going with the BES installation and using the Desktop Redirector. Sorry I couldnt assist with the BIS install. Let me know how it goes.
    No problem. I really appreciate all the help.

FWIW - I went with the Redirector. It does EXACTLY what I wanted it to do - forwarding work emails to my Berry during work hours. At the end of the day, I log off and my Berry is all mine again .
    10-16-08 12:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD