ive got a contract phone with a 3 and i wanted to buy a blackberry on pay as you go and put my contract sim into an unlocked blackberry. i was wondering if i was to buy an internet add on with 3 would i be able to access the internet and blackberry messenger? i have a nokia n97 at the moment and am desperate to know if an internet add on will let me use the internet and blackberry messenger or whether the blackberry internet and messenger are completley different to other mobile internet? or does anyone know if theres any way of me being able to use blackberry messenger some otherway? and would i be able to buy a blackberry add on if my phone company think i have a nokia? thanks
    07-14-10 08:52 AM
    The only way to use BBM (BlackBerry Messenger) is to have a specific BlackBarry data plan. A standard internet plan will not work.
    07-14-10 08:58 AM
    thank you very much! do you think my company would allow me to buy a blackberry data plan add on (if possible) or do you think they will be wary about it because they think i have a nokia N97? again thank you
    07-14-10 09:04 AM
    I'm gonna venture a guess that you are asking about the phone company and not about the company that you work at.

I'm also gonna guess that you're phone company would know what kind of phone you have and asking for a BlackBerry data plan for a Nokia is going to sound weird.

That is if you can even make it work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-10 09:25 AM
    Like I posted on the OTHER thread that you made about this same issue...
    What is your phone company, and do they offer a BlackBerry?
    07-14-10 09:26 AM
    yes im with a company called 3.

what is a BIS data plan? (sorry) and also do you think my company would be okay with me switching phones as i havent brought the blackberry from them? thanks
    07-14-10 09:40 AM
    Three operates in many countries around the world, including Australia, Austria, ... Indonesia and the UK, bringing the latest and best mobile services ...
    I belive OP is referring to his carrier, Three.

Welcome to Three

Three does offer support for BlackBerry products, they feature the Bold 9700 in their advertising. That also means they do support BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS), it is required for BlackBerry Email, Messenger and Internet Browsing.

The sexier Blackberry Bold – video � Welcome to the Three Blog

Support may depend on which country you are in.

If your question is, can you add a personal BlackBerry plan to an employer supplied BlackBerry?

Most employers will have pre-configured the BlackBerry with BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES), you can only use one at a time.
    07-14-10 09:42 AM
    The BIS data plan is the BlackBerry specific data plan. Since BlackBerry uses their own servers to handle the data usage, e-mail, and BBM, you need to have the proper data plan so that it will be provisioned correctly, that way those services will work.

I wouldn't think that your company would have an issue, but I'm not 100% sure. My buddy bought a Curve 8520 off of Craigslist, and I got it all setup for him, no problems. I explained to CS that the phone was purchased outright, and that we needed to swap his data plan to a BIS plan, and it was no problem getting it squared away. Granted, it was an ATT branded phone, and he has ATT service, but still, you shouldn't have much problem, I would imagine...
    07-14-10 09:44 AM
    If your question is, can you add a personal BlackBerry plan to an employer supplied BlackBerry?

Most employers will have pre-configured the BlackBerry with BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES), you can only use one at a time.

i think i may have not made my post clear im sorry about that, but when i say company i mean there the people that my phone comes from like 02, tmobile etc. i pay for my phone myself. its not from work or anything. so yes i would like to know whether i can add a personal blackberry plan to a blackberry if 3 think that i have a nokia n97? thanks
    07-14-10 09:49 AM
    When you call 3, you are probably going to have to update your IMEI (serial number) on the carrier so that they can add the BIS data plan. They cannot provision a Nokia to have a BIS data plan.
    07-14-10 09:54 AM
    i would like to know whether i can add a personal blackberry plan to a blackberry if 3 think that i have a nokia n97? ...
    I suspect, that will not be possible.

If your carrier has recorded a non-BlackBerry device, it is not likley that their computers will allow the operator to add on a BlackBerry support plan.

It should be a simple matter to upgrade to a BlackBerry plan, but they will have to record a BlackBerry device in your account.

07-14-10 09:55 AM
    When you call 3, you are probably going to have to update your IMEI (serial number) on the carrier so that they can add the BIS data plan. They cannot provision a Nokia to have a BIS data plan.
    how do i update my IMEI? where do i find this? and will it cost me to update? sorry about all the questions lol
    07-14-10 09:56 AM
    I suspect, that will not be possible.

If your carrier has recorded a non-BlackBerry device, it is not likley that their computers will allow the operator to add on a BlackBerry support plan.

It should be a simple matter to upgrade to a BlackBerry plan, but they will have to record a BlackBerry device in your account.

is it possible to upgrade to a blackberry plan when my contract doesnt finish for a year?
    07-14-10 09:58 AM
    Use Options / Status to get your PIN and IMEI numbers.

is it possible to upgrade to a blackberry plan when my contract doesnt finish for a year?
    Only your carrier can answer that question.

I suspect they will be pleased to add on the BIS support package. They earn the revenue.
    07-14-10 10:01 AM
    You've got to contact your carrier's Customer Service to update the IMEI, and to add the proper data plan.

Most carriers will allow you to add or remove options withing your contract term, like Reed said, only your carrier can answer that, but you should be able to.
    07-14-10 10:04 AM
    Use Options / Status to get your PIN and IMEI numbers.

Only your carrier can answer that question.

I suspect they will be pleased to add on the BIS support package. They earn the revenue.

thank you very much i will ring them before i purchase a bb incase they will not be able to do anything!
    07-14-10 10:05 AM
    okay thank you all for helping!
    07-14-10 10:08 AM
    Good Luck!

Be sure to post back on here and let us know the outcome, it will no doubt help others later on down the road!
    07-14-10 10:10 AM
    Good Luck!

Be sure to post back on here and let us know the outcome, it will no doubt help others later on down the road!

sure thing!
    07-14-10 10:28 AM
    Yeah 3 will be able to set you up with a blackberry data plan. Just tell them you have a blackberry and then they will activate the data plan on your sim card. Take your existing sim, put it in the bb and then it should download all the relevant settings automatically.

I dont think 3 care what phone you use, they just want their money every month lol.
    07-17-10 10:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD