If you want to STOP a read receipt from being sent from your BlackBerry, you can:

1. Open the email, and while in it, do ALT+U (mark as unread) - does not work on the latest OS for the Curve!
    2. Open the email, and while in it, Menu / Mark Unopened (for 8100, 8800 & possibly the Curve)...

Also, go to messages / menu options / email settings / messages services. From here you can choose the respective email account you want to edit the 'read receipt' settings for:

confirm delivery
    confirm read
    show read receipts
    Last edited by anon(153966); 07-06-07 at 02:08 PM.
    06-05-07 07:45 AM
    On a related note:

This is how to receive a delivery confirmation, (by return email) for email messages sent between Blackberry devices.

This delivery confirmation is not merely a confirmation of a successful email relay, but a confirmation as to when your message has been delivered to the Blackberry handheld itself, ie. the recipient's Blackberry is switched on, within wireless coverage, and your email has been delivered to their Blackberry.

When composing the email on the Blackberry, or from within Outlook, in the subject line of the message type <confirm> followed by the text .
    example: <confirm> You have 30 minutes to live

Note: Your recipient will receive the email with the additional word <confirm> in the subject line, so that this technique is certainly not for all occasions. Though on this occasion I don't think they would mind.
    06-05-07 08:55 AM
    What if we don't want this confirmation email? I am receiving way too many of these so I would like to turn it off, if at all possible. Where is this setting?

Thank you in advance. Katherine
    06-06-07 01:35 AM
    Am a bit lost here, Kath00. Are you saying when you send a normal email from your BlackBerry, you get a confirmation email? Each time?
    06-06-07 06:32 AM
    <confirm> looks handy but is there a command for it being read?

where did Berryman find out this command from?
    06-11-07 04:38 PM
    Berryman's info can be found on BlackBerry.com / support...
    06-11-07 05:12 PM
    AKKK!! My 8300 is asking people for read receipts! How do I turn this off?
    07-06-07 12:42 PM
    xruth, go to messages / menu options / email settings / messages services - choose respective account - from here edit:

confirm delivery
    confirm read
    show read receipts
    07-06-07 01:35 PM
    thank you so much!
    07-06-07 01:44 PM
    I have gone to messages / menu options / email settings / messages services - for all my accounts and edited each of:

confirm delivery
    confirm read
    show read receipts

Selected "no" for each and saved, but my device still sent a "delivered" message to a requesting sender. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
    08-02-07 12:49 PM
    Maybe I've not explained myself properly. If a user sends you an email asking for a READ RECEIPT, BlackBerry WILL automaticall send one, period - unless of course you 'quickly' try what I stated above. But, I've noticed on some of the 'newer' (within the last two weeks) OS' it does not always support it...!
    08-02-07 01:47 PM
    Thanks. I have been a Treo user for years and just switched so I am still getting acclimated to the B'berry. Do you know if RIM is planning to address this issue so that the user can control all auto-generated responses?
    08-03-07 09:53 AM
    Not seen any info about it from them. But, it would be nice...
    08-04-07 07:10 AM
    I tried the Alt-U, and found that it does not send the read receipt at that time, but does so, later when you actually open the mail to read it.
    However, I think I have found a solution. To get around the issue of sending a read receipt, do as below:
    Before opening a mail which is potentially 'read receipt requested',
    Open a mail above or below that one - say, one which has already been opened and read earlier.
    Now press N for 'next' or P for 'previous' to open the mail that you want to read.
    In my testing, this does not generate any read receipt.

Hope that helps!
    BBGuy
    09-26-07 02:20 PM
    I tried both ways - using Alt-U first to mark it as read, and then moving towards the open using N or P. This worked perfectly - no read receipt.
    I, then tried without using Alt-U, and still got great results - no read receipt.

Please try it out, and I feel certain, that at least one of the above ways, will definitely help.

thanks
    BBGuy
    09-26-07 02:25 PM
    ...If a user sends you an email asking for a READ RECEIPT, BlackBerry WILL automaticall send one, period...!
    Is this so? On my 8830, Messages / Options / Email Settings has a Send Read Receipts setting (along with Confirm Delivery and Confirm Read.) This is a "global" setting, not per-mailbox.

Doesn't setting this to "no" prevent read receipts from being sent regardless of the sender's indication?

(I have not tried any experiments myself.)

-^-rdj-^-
    10-18-07 03:03 PM
    How do I turn off the "Sent from my Blackberry" message?

Thanks
    10-19-07 09:10 AM
    If you want to STOP a read receipt from being sent from your BlackBerry, you can:

1. Open the email, and while in it, do ALT+U (mark as unread) - does not work on the latest OS for the Curve!
    2. Open the email, and while in it, Menu / Mark Unopened (for 8100, 8800 & possibly the Curve)...

Also, go to messages / menu options / email settings / messages services. From here you can choose the respective email account you want to edit the 'read receipt' settings for:

confirm delivery
    confirm read
    show read receipts
    I just upgraded the OS on this 8703e and found that RIM had preset the confirmation receipt option on for all email accounts (five currently). Ok, didn�t have those options before, so I turned off all receipt options for all email accounts. But RIM is STILL sending delivery confirmations for every email sent to me with a Microsoft Exchange delivery receipt request set. The first time I noticed it, my BB�s private email address was being revealed, as well as the primary email address configured on my account. I did some testing and it appears that RIM is reading and writing Microsoft Exchange (not standard Internet) message flags (which produce the �d� display on an email message sent from a BB to an email address that lives on an Exchange server, when the delivery confirmations are turned on (similar to how it displays PIN message delivery).

This is particularly nasty, since ANY email with an embedded Exchange delivery receipt request that touches a RIM email server will trigger a receipt that reveals the real forwarding target. Even standalone Outlook clients can generate these. And RIM is using the subscriber�s email identity to send back the receipts, so it appears that they are coming from the user, rather than an administrator�s alias.

For example, if you casually forward your office email to your personal BB, not only will the sender know your BB�s private address (if you forward to it for immediate notification), but the sender will also have your personal email address and your identity, whether you want to or not. I�ve also gotten Blackberry delivery confirmations from other people by responding to some web-based classified ads, which gave me the person�s full name and registered email address, which should give you an idea of how easy it is to trigger. In my case, I don�t want ANYONE to know that I have a Blackberry except a select few people. Right now, RIM is advertising that fact without my permission. It�s also a chilling thought that an enterprising spammer might start probing email addresses in a carrier�s Blackberry subscriber email domain and get back all user identities and email addresses for every hit on a valid private Blackberry email address.
    11-20-07 04:53 PM
    Just got off the phone with a RIM tech support person about this issue, and it seems that this is a new �feature� that RIM rolled out with the BIS 2.3 upgrade (discussed elsewhere in this forum). While the press releases describe the new receipt options, what they don�t say is that RIM intentionally set the confirmation receipts to ALWAYS confirm delivery of emails with the Microsoft Exchange delivery receipt request set, into a Blackberry customer�s mailbox, whether the customer wants them sent or not. Verizon didn�t have any public information about just what was in the v4.2 device software upgrade, beyond the multimedia enhancements. The RIM tech support person also explained that the only way to eliminate the forced delivery confirmations was to back-level the device to the last 4.1 device software release, but didn�t know where to find it.

Bottom line here is that RIM intends to force all Blackberry customers to be identified as a Blackberry subscriber, whether the subscriber wants to or not. For some customers this is way too intrusive, and for some a serious privacy breach.
    11-20-07 07:52 PM
    has anyone figured out a way to turn this off?
    12-04-07 04:38 PM
    has anyone figured out a way to turn this off?
    Latest word from RIM tech support (as of 5 days ago) is that it is impossible to disable it, it might be addressed in the next release of the BIS software, and that RIM refuses to provide the previous version device software (which will fix the confirmation receipt situation but disable all the advanced features they added). RIM has no answer for when the next release of the BIS software will be made. I would suggest getting in RIM's face somehow, by email or phone, and make them aware there are more customers who won't tolerate this.
    01-21-08 02:08 PM
    thank you
    i love crackberry, whe am stuck i know where to go to look for answers..
    02-11-08 03:01 PM
    I have that same problem w/ my 7520. I get a confirmation email for every email I sent out? Any tips on how to turn that off?

Am a bit lost here, Kath00. Are you saying when you send a normal email from your BlackBerry, you get a confirmation email? Each time?
    02-21-08 07:18 AM
    Bottom line here is that RIM intends to force all Blackberry customers to be identified as a Blackberry subscriber, whether the subscriber wants to or not. For some customers this is way too intrusive, and for some a serious privacy breach.
    This is my first post. I've been reading for a while, but just registered a few days ago. My plan is due for an update in May, and I am really interested in an 8310 so I am trying to learn as much as possible about them.

Is this issue enough of a problem that I should reconsider my purchase?? I really don't have anything to hide, but at the same time, I don't want personal info just out there for anyone to have access to.

Just thinking out loud...
    03-07-08 04:04 PM
    Finally! This problem solved - once again thanks to the great folks here at CB!!
    03-09-08 10:11 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD