From what I gather the application won't work if you have the 150mb data plan. One person on a CB forum said VZ tech support was able to reprovision the system inorder for it to work. I just called and they had no idea how to fix the issue. They connected me to Blackbery Tech support and now on hold while they look into the issue.

Would like to be able to use this application which looks very cool. The screenshot on the BB says, "Your wireless service plan does not include Blackberry Protect".

Any suggestions? Yeah I know go unlimited but I only use 100mb per month.
    03-09-11 02:42 PM
    You and I are in the same boat, and I am not happy about it one bit.

When I called VZW, they put me on hold and contacted RIM (or so they claimed) and told me that they confirmed that BB Protect will ONLY work with the VZW Unlimited data plan.

Last month I used about 125mb, and I have no reason to get the Unlimited plan. I've expressed my anger with this on the Beta Zone website forum, and was informed by another user who is in the know that feedback is currently being relayed to RIM development teams. Hopefully this is something that will be resolved in the future. Until then, we're SOL.
    03-09-11 02:48 PM
    I wouldn't count on a resolution to it, and I don't know who made that claim, but I extremely doubt VZW made it work on his phone specifically without enabling it for everyone.
    03-09-11 02:51 PM
    Just got off phone with VZW tech support and they also sent me a text message. They confirmed that the 150mb plan will not allow BB Protect due to the amount of data the app will use. He went on to say that since the BB continually updates it is likely no BB user can stay under 150mb even without the Protect app. Told him to check my account and even my kid's accounts. All of us stay under 100mb per month. Told my kids no You Tube, music etc so data limit is not an issue. Frank went on to say that VZW is protecting us from unintenional overages due to the new Protect application. Sooo, this is not a BB issue. It's a VZW issue; he was happy to upgrade me to unlimited. Bet that is what they did to the guy who said tech reprovisioned the plan. Yeah its called Unlimited for 29.99. Wait until he gets his bill.
    03-09-11 03:27 PM
    I have been working with Blackberry and VZW since 8AM, the first issues I had was the same error as everyone else about the service provider doesn't support this app, they needed to re-provision my phone, well that all seemed good until I try to log into the app and Sits at Verifying BlackBerry Id for about 10 to 15 then I get this error.
    The BlackBerry ID Service is Temporarily Unavailable
    I'm still on the phone with them, I will post what I find out, I have about 5 different folks from RIM looking at this with me.

My advise is to call VZW and ask to get a higher level RIM rep on the line.
    03-09-11 03:33 PM
    I had a Temp unavailable for an hour or so today. Servers probably busy. Now ok > back to the service provider does not allow BB Protect under your plan. The service plan issue is a VZW limitation. Thay are aggravating those who opted to pay less in hope of an upgrade to the 29.99 plan.
    03-09-11 03:38 PM
    This makes no sense, as you can set it for manual updates only, and you can set it to update on wi-fi only. How is this different from anything else that you risk overages with?
    03-09-11 06:13 PM
    I have to agree with Ferretling. I am lucky, and got it with the 200mb data plan on AT&T. I have it set to manual, and wifi only.
    03-09-11 06:58 PM
    When I called VZW, they put me on hold and contacted RIM (or so they claimed) and told me that they confirmed that BB Protect will ONLY work with the VZW Unlimited data plan
    03-09-11 10:50 PM
    When I called VZW, they put me on hold and contacted RIM (or so they claimed) and told me that they confirmed that BB Protect will ONLY work with the VZW Unlimited data plan
    I wrote VZW customer service last night. Presented a case that they do not prevent me from streaming You Tube Videos all night running up huge charges once I hit 150mb max (which would happen quickly with video). So why prevent me from using BB Protect ?

I urge each of you to go to their website and make a concise respectful argument that VZW should allow BB Protect. I said what happens if they go to tiered pricing in the future. Without an unlimited plan how can we use this application ?
    03-10-11 08:30 AM
    From what I gather the application won't work if you have the 150mb data plan. One person on a CB forum said VZ tech support was able to reprovision the system inorder for it to work. I just called and they had no idea how to fix the issue. They connected me to Blackbery Tech support and now on hold while they look into the issue.

Would like to be able to use this application which looks very cool. The screenshot on the BB says, "Your wireless service plan does not include Blackberry Protect".

Any suggestions? Yeah I know go unlimited but I only use 100mb per month.
    I also just made this discovery when installing BlackBerry Protect and trying to do the first backup as I have the 150mb plan also.

I just posted this same problem under the BB Native Apps. section for those folks that read that thread.

There is NO WAY to get around it!!
    03-10-11 03:59 PM
    Also a PS, There is no way for VZW to reprovision anything since BB Protect connects to the BB Protect server which is RIM and not VZW.
    03-10-11 04:02 PM
    verizon upgraded me to unlimited data plan and still i cannot get the application to work i even had a rep tell me that this is not an issue verizon is willing to pay for me to talk to blackberry for
    03-11-11 08:48 PM
    Tech support didn't know the solution after one hour on hold, and them talking to their 2nd level support team.
    03-20-11 12:34 PM
    Can't you use wifi? I have unlimited and it works fine. This sounds like crap if that is the case.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-11 12:48 PM
    Can't you use wifi? I have unlimited and it works fine. This sounds like crap if that is the case.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Working again with Rogers. There's a good thread on BlackBerry.com about this as well:

Re: BlackBerry Protect error with service provider... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

We've tried everything: battery pulls, resending service books, resetting data plan (I have 1GB, Rogers doesn't have unlimited), adding APN information, I tried disabling Rogers Mobile Backup (thinking maybe there was a conflict), uninstall/reinstall. Nothing has worked.
    Last edited by andy957; 03-20-11 at 01:42 PM.
    03-20-11 01:37 PM
    Wait a minute!!!

Didn't Mike go all out in Europe last year yacking about the importance of using less data and the benefits of having cheaper limited data plans which BB users could use because of the efficiency of BB on data consumption?

WTF happened with that viewpoint? What, because you want to protect your BB you're out of luck and stuck with having to go unlimited? Sounds to me like all those speeches were there just to make excuses for the lack of features a BB has in comparison to their competion rather than the benefits of being able to use a BB on lower tiered plans. I guess people who bought into all that bs he was selling are now between a rock and a hard place in terms of being able to use BB Protect vs keeping their cheaper data plans.
    03-20-11 02:34 PM
    @BlackStormRising

I'm really trying to find the humor in your post, but I can't, even though I know what you might have been getting at. I guess it would have been funnier had my post actually had those miscorrected words. There's only one misspelled word in there and it's competition. Everything else is as intended.
    03-20-11 10:38 PM
    @BlackStormRising

I'm really trying to find the humor in your post, but I can't, even though I know what you might have been getting at. I guess it would have been funnier had my post actually had those miscorrected words. There's only one misspelled word in there and it's competition. Everything else is as intended.
    No probs JR I deleted it, no offense intended. When I read the OP's posting I assumed this was a Verizon issue not a Mike L issue. My bad. . I'm using the app on Telus and they didn't require an unlimited plan though.
    03-21-11 06:29 AM
    I wonder what would happen if you upgraded to unlimited, added BB Protect, and THEN downgraded back to the 150 plan? Perhaps the BB Protect would be grandfathered on to your device? Might be worth someone trying.

Anyways I'm going to move this thread to the Verizon Forum.
    03-21-11 09:32 AM
    I have the 150MB data plan and I have BB Protect working on my device. It was my post that mentioned calling VZW and having one of the technical support reps switching me to the unlimited plan then switching me back to the 150MB plan. Basically, the TSR had me restart the service while my BB was provisioned with the unlimited (non-corporate) plan, verify that it was active (i.e. did not give the error message), then switched me back to the 150MB plan and restart the service again. It continued to function.

My beleif is that Verizon has not trained its TSRs on this service at all, since it took me a while to reach someone who could figure it out. Maybe I just got lucky and was connected with a TSR who actually understands the troubleshooting process.
    03-21-11 11:44 AM
    After to speaking with VZ and RIM I completed a survey expressing my frustration that BB Protect would not work on the VZ 150mb plan. I was called several days later by a RIM representative who told me the matter had been elevated and that RIM would take it up with VZ. She said that she would call me back. Well she actually called me today to tell me that VZ agreed to allow BB PRotect on the limited plan effective yesterday. I was aware as my phone did a back up yesterday and thanked her for all the assistance and the follow up. Told her I'm a BB user for life. No iPhone and she laughed. Hope they send me another survey. She really did her job well.
    03-21-11 08:13 PM
    there seems to be similar complains here in the uk, im currently using a torch on a 2y contract with a 500mb cap and am also gettin the not supported msg with protect.

i will call o2 tomorrow and hopefully try to get it sorted.
    03-21-11 09:44 PM
    After to speaking with VZ and RIM I completed a survey expressing my frustration that BB Protect would not work on the VZ 150mb plan. I was called several days later by a RIM representative who told me the matter had been elevated and that RIM would take it up with VZ. She said that she would call me back. Well she actually called me today to tell me that VZ agreed to allow BB PRotect on the limited plan effective yesterday. I was aware as my phone did a back up yesterday and thanked her for all the assistance and the follow up. Told her I'm a BB user for life. No iPhone and she laughed. Hope they send me another survey. She really did her job well.
    That's awesome. Did you happen to mention to that woman that there are others complaining of the same thing (in Canada, and per the above, in the UK now as well)? Rogers won't contact RIM on my behalf, they're trying to put the onus on my shoulders.

Thanks.
    03-21-11 11:08 PM
    Spoke to O2 UK and they asked me to call RIM, which wasnt much help as there is no customer support without purchasing their support plan.

I tried speak to O2 again, and they just keep sayin that they have no idea of this service and its RIMs problem, not theirs and i should speak to them.
    03-22-11 11:48 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD