Hey All,

OK, I'm pretty darn excited about this. For those of you who are long-time visitors of CrackBerry.com, you'll remember we used to have a "tab" at the top of the site beside Blogs/Forums/Store called Connect. It was always our intent since Day 1 to build some sort of BlackBerry PIN Sharing/PIN Meet-Up section to the site. We held off developing it though as we weren't convinced it made sense to add this sort of social-networking functionality directly into the CrackBerry.com site (navigating the forums, galleries, store and blogs is mission enough!).

It eventually donned on us what would make way more sense is to build this functionality into the social-networking site that everybody already uses and is familiar with...a.k.a FaceBook! And it just so happens a Facebook developer had the same idea as us and already had a huge head start in developing it. It was the Facebook App of this CrackBerry Addict's dreams, so we did what we had to do and are now proud to introduce

The BlackBerry PIN Exchange Facebook App - Beta

The BlackBerry PIN Exchange Facebook App is located at http://apps.facebook.com/pinexchange or you can just head into the Facebook Applications directory and search for "BlackBerry".

Setup - Is easy. Simply Install the App, Enter your BlackBerry PIN, Device Model & Why You Love Your BlackBerry and you're good to go. A BlackBerry Pin Exchange box will be added to your profile (you can keep it in the main area or drag it to the left column). You change your privacy settings to make your BlackBerry PIN as public or private as you want (show it your profile, only show it to your BlackBerry using friends, or make it public on our Global Exchange to meet new people!).

The app makes it easy to keep track of the PIN's of your BlackBerry using colleagues (they just need to keep their PIN current and you'll be able to easily find it!). The Global Exchange makes it easy to search out other BlackBerry users, and the PIN Meet area is the spot for BlackBerry users who want to actively make new BlackBerry-using friends.

Still in Beta - The App is pretty much good to go (I'd say 87.6% ready), but we still want to get things perfected. There's some code to optimize and we want to build in some more advanced functions... like making it easier to search/filter by country/state/city on the Global Exchange.

So before we start really spreading the word about this new Facebook Plugin/App for BlackBerry Users, we need your help to make sure we have it perfect. Add the App to your profile, use it, try it out, let us know what you think, let us know what we can do to make it better. We have a To Do list already growing, but am sure you all with think of things we haven't even considered yet. Feel free to use this thread for your ideas and feedback!

I hope you all find this useful and enjoy it - I think it's pretty slick! AND..if you're not a facebook user yet...well, maybe this is the reason you've been looking for to become one.
    02-16-08 11:44 PM
    Looks very cool. I am in it. My PIN is only visible to my facebook friends. I really like that option.

Application looks very good. You can tell it is still under works. There are some text and buttons that seem to be overlapping for me and the page that has the PIN poke the buttons aren't lined up.

But I really like the idea of it.
    02-17-08 09:39 AM
    Very cool! I added it
    02-17-08 09:51 AM
    Too cool! I only joined facebook a few days ago, so I don't have very many friends yet. But I did add the facebook app to my phone, and have now added this to my profile as well.
    02-17-08 09:59 AM
    hello everybody..just joined..does it cost to use?
    02-17-08 10:23 AM
    Free of Charge of Course!!!

hello everybody..just joined..does it cost to use?
    02-17-08 10:47 AM
    Known Bug being worked on:

For some users (not all), it seems when you're filling out your Profile fields (after you've added the app), that when you hit submit you'll get an error that you haven't Filled Out All the Fields.

If this happens, leave the 3rd field BLANK (don't fill out Why You Love your BlackBerry).

The other option if this happens is to uninstall the app, then reload it up. Working on it. Let me know if you run into that problem... it's being worked on!
    02-17-08 10:49 AM
    This should be a sticky in all groups.
    Last edited by johnling; 02-17-08 at 06:53 PM.
    02-17-08 04:42 PM
    This is cool, but I only have one friend on facebook that has a BB...and uhh..thats Kevin, who's PIN I kinda already need to have lol.
    02-17-08 08:16 PM
    how do you get the app on the facebook tho? because i have gone to look at my profile on my computer and there is nothing about my blackberry
    02-18-08 08:13 AM
    This is really cool. Although I have had a facebook account for a while, I find myspace to be much more entertaining. Would be nice if there were a similar application for that as well. Good job, none the less.
    02-18-08 11:27 AM
    Very cool app! Would like to see some sort of search engine to locate BB users in your area. Tyler just hit the applications button in the top left corner> browse applications> type blackberry> and install BB pin exchange

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-08 12:05 AM
    Man, you just rocked my world. MMMwah!!
    02-19-08 07:34 AM
    Just added this app to my facebook....Seems to be pretty cool!!!
    02-19-08 08:44 AM
    I just added the app to my facebook page. Hopefully some of my friends will add it too.
    02-19-08 09:01 AM
    Hey Voltaic,

Adding Friends is super easy with PIN Exchange App. Once you're logged into Facebook, just click on your BlackBerry PIN Exchange app. At top on the right, you'll see a link for Invite Friends.

From there, you can just click on all the friends you have who use Berrys and it'll send them an invite within Facebook.

The direct path to the Invite page (once you're logged into facebook) is - http://apps.facebook.com/pinexchange/invite.php

Enjoy!
    02-19-08 11:14 AM
    Thanks, Kevin!
    02-20-08 11:39 AM
    I really must venture out into the other forums more often. Thanks for the info!
    02-21-08 12:16 PM
    oh this is too cool i'm going to add it now
    02-21-08 07:41 PM
    for some reason, i JUST clicked on this thread.

man, i'm so behind!
    02-24-08 02:29 AM
    i joined the application and so far one person from canada added me... it's cool cause i tried to add people from here and it was cool, but facebook is more for social-networking..
    02-24-08 08:17 PM
    this application for facebook is long overdue. if it only had a way to link people that already have facebook on their blackberries to this group it would be better. i have alot of friends with blackberries that want to give out their pins, but dont have a way to connect at this time. great group...
    02-25-08 06:27 AM
    i added it to my facebook
    love it
    02-25-08 10:00 AM
    its about time! thanks Kevin! and please pass along our thanks to the fb developer too...
    02-25-08 12:26 PM
    great work on getting this application up and running kev
    Last edited by laserlike; 02-27-08 at 12:37 PM.
    02-27-08 12:35 PM
449 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD