Profiles is a fantastic BlackBerry feature. Something that works very well in conjunction with Profiles is the "Forward with Level 1 notification" filtering feature that comes with BIS.

Recently, using BIS, I set up a bunch of email filters for various contacts (and subjects). I'm very pleased with the way Level 1 messages are coming through when I apply my various Profiles: they come through loud and clear, with the notifiers I've chosen, and they're marked in red.

Just another reason I won't ever switch from BlackBerry to a platform that has better games ...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by T�nis; 04-14-11 at 09:06 PM.
    04-14-11 09:00 PM
    So this will probably sound silly but, I have a 9700/5.0.0.979 by AT&T.

I don't have the "Filter" option under options in messages.

Therefore, how do I use/designate Level 1 functionality?

04-14-11 09:54 PM
    So this will probably sound silly but, I have a 9700/5.0.0.979 by AT&T.

I don't have the "Filter" option under options in messages.

Therefore, how do I use/designate Level 1 functionality?

Not silly at all. You have to go to AT&T's BIS web site (from you computer) and create and apply the filters there.

Last edited by T�nis; 04-14-11 at 10:01 PM.
    04-14-11 09:58 PM
    T�nis,

Thanks for the reply. If that wasn't that bad of a question, this one may:

Although I've been on the Blackberry bandwagon for 1 year; I know I have BIS; however, I have never been to the BIS website nor do I know my Username/Password.

So what is the next step for me? Just google BIS google?

04-14-11 10:05 PM
    T�nis,

Thanks for the reply. If that wasn't that bad of a question, this one may:

Although I've been on the Blackberry bandwagon for 1 year; I know I have BIS; however, I have never been to the BIS website nor do I know my Username/Password.

So what is the next step for me? Just google BIS google?

No problem at all. This topic has good info and a link to the carriers' BIS sites:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f152/ho...tering-237253/

and this one has good info, too:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/leve...uestion-46223/

Some people are using Level 1 notifications for PIN messages, too, but I am not. (I think setting PIN messages to Level 1 can be set right in each notification profile.)

Just remember that you can choose a different notifier for Level 1 messages in each of your profiles, so don't forget to set one in each. It's easy to miss one of these settings when setting up a profile and to leave one of them on "mute" or something.

And in my experience, subject line filters don't have to include everything (just a few components) and email addresses don't have to be complete for the filters to work. For example, if you have a contact whose email address is [email protected], simply using "john_smith" in the filter will suffice.

If you don't know your user name or password, you can probably do a password recovery from your carrier's BIS site once you go to it (from your computer).

04-14-11 10:29 PM
    And AT&T's bis site is BlackBerry Internet Service for your records. I usually do Level 1 messages through the profiles as well.
    04-15-11 07:45 AM
    Excellent heads up, I had no idea we had this function! Cool.
    04-15-11 10:13 AM
    Just a quick follow-up.

If I have been using a blackberry for the last year and have never logged into my AT&T BIS Account and then I create a new account will I "mess up" anything on my currently running email on my blackberry?
    04-20-11 10:09 PM
    Just a quick follow-up.

If I have been using a blackberry for the last year and have never logged into my AT&T BIS Account and then I create a new account will I "mess up" anything on my currently running email on my blackberry?
    Are you sure you've never signed in to your account at your carrier's BIS site? If you're receiving any push email at all, most likely you or someone else, perhaps your carrier, has gone into the site to set it up. But no matter, if the site is anything like Sprint's, it's pretty basic with just a list of your email addresses that are being pushed to your device along with options to add, modify, delete, add filters, etc. I doubt you would mess anything up.

04-20-11 10:53 PM
    Are you sure you've never signed in to your account at your carrier's BIS site? If you're receiving any push email at all, most likely you or someone else, perhaps your carrier, has gone into the site to set it up. But no matter, if the site is anything like Sprint's, it's pretty basic with just a list of your email addresses that are being pushed to your device along with options to add, modify, delete, add filters, etc. I doubt you would mess anything up.

On AT&T I have never had to and never have. I even went to that website out of sheer curiousity (I've yet to have a need to access the utilities on that website, mostly out of lack of knowledge of what it contains) and I don't have a username or password. I even went to "request password" and when I entered my PIN it said I didn't have a username or password.

While I totally agree that those features are awesome for a lot of users, I just don't have important enough things to get through to me that I need to set such parameters.

So for now, I won't be using the BIS website. Maybe some day.
    04-20-11 11:31 PM

You dont need to sign up for a BIS account to set up emails. Unless you created one before or the device is linked to an account, then you need to log in to that one, otherwise, its not necessary with the latest version of BIS, at least not on AT&T.

You can access these settings on device by using the "Email account management" entry of messages options in OS6. If the device is linked to an account, it will prompt for it, if not, it just goes straight through. But any changes to emails will require the email password.

I dont remember how to access the email account management in OS5 though. Just launch the initial setup and choose email management or something like that.
    Last edited by gbsn; 04-21-11 at 12:00 AM.
    04-20-11 11:56 PM
    All mail is pushed to your BB through RIM's BIS servers. Regardless if you setup a username and password or not.

04-21-11 08:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD