In light of recent situations that seem to occur much too frequently i propose a few additions the moderation team can do to help make moderating threads without backlash.

Stop with the "ninja editing" and random disappearing/moving threads.

If any action needs to be taken on any thread, said moderator acting on the thread should post 1. WHY and 2. What action has been taken. While i do think a reason why should always be given (the reason these uproars start to begin in the first place is because no reason is ever given) as this eliminates people posting threads about "What Happend" or why they modded said thread. This BLATANTLY shows forum goers what they did wrong, and there is no need to really question it.

I feel that by the moderating team taking the extra time to actually tell what happend and why it was locked will help prevent any outrage, and any with a complaint/question are more than free to take it up with the moderator who locked the thread.

Of course exceptions to having to post what happends is if a thread is plain offensive or not CB material or underage posting PINS then disappearing threads are more than welcome as they should not be on these forums to begin with.

Also, as a side note the Storm Lounge area is the Storm's Off-Topic area. Many Storm users do not frequent outside the Storm area and if they do, its to peruse the Odin Forums. I think i speak for many when that the Storm community is very tight knit, and topics posted are really directed at us (storm users) than anyone else to be honest.

I think that if we could drop the Storm-related discussion and change it to Storm User discussion, it would be more fitting to the users. As well as stop moving topics to the General Off Topic area. I doubt they could care less about our discussions anyways.
    Last edited by devildrifterX; 08-31-09 at 10:10 PM.
    08-31-09 10:08 PM
    So very true before we had a lounge we posted all sort of stuff so to clean it up you gave us the lounge. After seeing what's going on it almost seems like your trying push the old timers out and make room for your odin\s2 members. I am not sure where the other chat is. I very seldom venture outside Storm section I know who or what most the members are in storm land.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-09 10:35 PM
    I agree about the Storm Users Lounge; what's a lounge if not off-topic discussion? Also, giving reasons for modding threads just seems logical. If you only ever punish a behavior without giving direction as to how to avoid the punishment in the future, behavior is not shaped very effectively.
    08-31-09 10:35 PM
    I agree completely.......

08-31-09 10:36 PM
    I am a new user here and I just wanted to offer up that when I look at the list of topics, I assumed that the Storm Owners Lounge was where I could meet other storm owners who are not just looking for tips and help and themes and things but are other owners and the discussion was a bit more open. I do see there is a "social" area and I have not ventured there yet but I can easily see where their could be some confusion.

I hope it was ok to post my thoughts here.
    08-31-09 10:37 PM
    subscribed for lulz and to see if anything actually changes, i doubt it will...
    08-31-09 10:57 PM
    I PM'ed Adam like he asked. He said changed would be made but when I asked a few more questions he was off...

Let's see how this plays out.
    08-31-09 11:15 PM
    Subscribed. I agree I posted this in June and got flamed for it.

08-31-09 11:25 PM
    I am a new user here and I just wanted to offer up that when I look at the list of topics, I assumed that the Storm Owners Lounge was where I could meet other storm owners who are not just looking for tips and help and themes and things but are other owners and the discussion was a bit more open. I do see there is a "social" area and I have not ventured there yet but I can easily see where their could be some confusion.

I hope it was ok to post my thoughts here.
    Yes, of course it was ok. Your thoughts made sense to me.
    08-31-09 11:50 PM
    Once again.
    I want nothing to do with OT. Storm topics get moved and OT ....posts all over it. **** I'd reather put up with moosc's random obama bashing than the OT board.
    Not the mention the furies on there...I swear I saw a topic that was one step away from fur suits...
    Last edited by JeffH; 09-01-09 at 05:58 AM. Reason: language
    09-01-09 12:59 AM
    I too would like to get an explanation.

Here is my question...
    09-01-09 07:25 AM
    Coming up next on "As the storm turns" ...

aside from all the drama and teen angst about such things, seems like the initial premise of the thread could have some merit. It does help to know why things are closed or moved sometimes, keeps the general population from thinking the moderators are erratic or (gasp) unfair. I don't think they're asking for a detailed legal brief explaining every tiny step of the decision process (well, some want that, but not me, I've got better things to spend my time reading)

I understand that on a forum with this many members, it takes a lot of work by the moderators to keep it under control. Having to explain each action is one more chore to add to the already thankless job. The payback for the moderators is that if it's clear why things are closed or moved, and that they will be closed or moved, then maybe we'll reduce the number of times we post things that have to be closed or moved. Maybe it will pay off in the long run.

But folks need to put keep it all in perspective. It's an internet forum. It's not really all that important on the grand scale of things in life. (Well, maybe it is to Kevin )
    09-01-09 07:45 AM
    I see everyones issuses with getting your storm lounge threads moved to the off-topic threads. I for one didn't hate that your threads got moved there. I feel the same way about the mods. Some of you are actually cool people and I would have never met any of you if it wasn't for the move. I guess I may just have to stop in for a visit?

I'm no storm basher, I'm actually looking at the Odin.
    09-01-09 07:54 AM
    I agree with this! I understand is their duty to clean, organize, edit (remove inapropriate)threads but we as the members of Crackberry deserve an explanation as to why!!!! Lol
    09-01-09 07:57 AM
    So you basically just want Mods to leave a note why the did what they did? Thats it?
    09-01-09 08:04 AM
    So you basically just want Mods to leave a note why the did what they did? Thats it?
    Don't they normally do that already?

09-01-09 08:07 AM
    Adam that would be nice...I mean one minute you are posting in one part of the forum and then bam its totally moved somewhere else...with no reason as to why. Same thing when they close the threads, some of the mods just use their mod stick and little to heavily and think they are like a mod god.

Do you mods not see that GREAT cb member have left because they have been treated unfairly?

Don't they normally do that already?

normally they do, but lately some of them just do as they please and leave no reasoning.
    09-01-09 08:09 AM
    Adam that would be nice...I mean one minute you are posting in one part of the forum and then bam its totally moved somewhere else...with no reason as to why. Same thing when they close the threads, some of the mods just use their mod stick and little to heavily and think they are like a mod god.
    When moving threads we really only do it depending on the topic, so I didn't realize it was that much of an issue. We don't just arbitrarily move threads, we do it to have them in the best possible forum.
    09-01-09 08:13 AM
    Also these Storm owners like to have their off-topic discussions in there Storm Owners Lounge. Why do their threads keep getting moved to the Off-topic section?

I don't personally have a problem with it, but I can see why they would. They have their own personal Storm Lounge so they don't have to deal with all of the Off-Topic banter.
    09-01-09 08:16 AM
    Also these Storm owners like to have their off-topic discussions in there Storm Owners Lounge. Why do their threads keep getting moved to the Off-topic section?

I don't personally have a problem with it, but I can see why they would. They have their own personal Storm Lounge so they don't have to deal with all of the Off-Topic banter.
    My feelings exactly. My thoughts were that the Storm Owner's Lounge was created for Storm Owners to have to go to have off-topic discussions.

The only criteria to be there would be that you were a Storm Owner. Of course we don't care if you are Storm owner or not, but we see each other daily and have become friends through the other Storm forums.

I don't see why our off-topic discussion were being moved to the general off-topic discussion areas...

The forums was not named, Off-topic Storm Discussion. It was Named Storm OWNERS Lounge, and thus, the only criteria being that you are a storm owner. And from that point forward, it is a lounge, merely holding people that own storms carrying on discussions.

It has been that way since day one, and as of yesterday, things have gone crazy.

It looks as though one of our most tenured and helpful members in JRSCCivic98 has left because she was treated poorly and I am NOT okay with that.
    09-01-09 09:09 AM
    Adam that would be great, maybe a little post before the actual move, so that some can catch it an let others know.

The thing about moving posts to off topic is that Storm users are a clanish bunch. Its not that we don't like the others non storm users on CB, its just that we have made alot of friends within our own forum, an we know that by going into the Lounge we can shoot the breeze with those friends. Off Topic is flooded by others threads talking about just about everything an its hard to keep track of our threads. Not to sound greedy, but we do make up the largest percentage of users on CB.

Some people feel that the mods use the Lounge as a dumping ground for threads that don't quite fit with the other sub forums. We all thought it was meant for threads that went off topic. The waiting rooms are a perfect example. The waiting rooms were the catalyst for the Lounge in the beginning. How much useful information comes out of waiting rooms.

So by some mods definition, a bunch of users in a thread called the waiting room, bsing about what they are doing, be it drinking a bud or playing solitaire or twiddling their fingers belongs in off topic not in the lounge.

Please help us to figure this out. Remember we don't always get all of the information when a thread is closed, several users could have started a big pissing contest and that was why the thread ended up closed, but if the pissing contest was moderated out before the close then most of us just see it as an arbitrary close. Some more information on why a thread was closed or why a mod felt that they had to move it would awesome.

Alot of arguments and fights could be avoided with just a small amount of communication. You guys do a great job in keeping things as smoothly as possible. Things just go off track sometimes.

Thanks
    Valace2
    09-01-09 09:43 AM
    I agree with both requests by Valace in the OP in respect to a small notice and as to the Storm Owner Lounge.

If you want to see fantastic community-like moderation, check out the M5Board; the moderators always make a post if an action is done and, as such, there is very little discontent. Afterall, moderators are members, too; they can post can't they?

If you want to see a board where the mods have unbridled discretion leading to nothing but discontent, bias, bandwagons and disarray, check out the R6Network. The mod reigns were basically given to kids whose actions revolve around nothing more than being seen as the cool kids in the bunch. These guys do the ninja acts, as well. It's lame.

A good example here is PK, though. He does the moderating fairly correct. If he's going to do something, he'll post.
    Last edited by wentouch; 09-01-09 at 11:39 AM.
    09-01-09 11:35 AM
    There's a reason that the storm forum is by FAR the largest and most active forum on CB. It would be nice to keep it that way
    09-01-09 12:02 PM
    Like I said before, the mods owe you nothing, not an explination, zilch. To answer your question Amber, they want to keep their storm owners lounge out of off-topic, because there is people like me who are there. I say put them in off-topic, back in general population, not secure in their own little spot. This has been going on long enough...
    09-01-09 12:10 PM
    Like I said before, the mods owe you nothing, not an explination, zilch. To answer your question Amber, they want to keep their storm owners lounge out of off-topic, because there is people like me who are there. I say put them in off-topic, back in general population, not secure in their own little spot. This has been going on long enough...
    Thank you for proving our point! You want our threads moved into OT for what reasons other than to come in and make snide remarks? Seriously, what could you possibly gain from this? Why do you insist on trying to cause trouble?
    09-01-09 12:22 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD