Lately, I've seen a lot of new users here on CB. They usually have a problem and are asking us to help solve it for them. Something a lot of newbies don't realize is that you can search thousands of threads on here, and the question has probably in asked once before.

You can also easily search this site using Google by using the site operator. What I normally do is type "site:forums.crackberry.com messages deleted" and this brings up a nice list of results, sometimes more relevant than the search from the site itself.

Some newbies do have a problem that really hasn't been discussed much. This can be a problem though if you don't ask in the right way. You need to be able to explain the problem since no one but you can see you screen.

I found a couple of good articles with more general tips earlier today. Hopefully this helps some of the newbies. Feel free to reply with any tips you have.

Geek to Live: The art of asking
    11 Tips for Better Tech Support : The Cranking Widgets Blog
    04-26-08 02:49 PM
    Sorry, these YouTube videos are absolutely the BEST for learning how to use a forum:

04-26-08 02:58 PM
    It's a forum Sunkast...

Do we wish that all users would use the search function before posting new questions....Kinda...but not really..how much of forum would you have if users never really interacted with questions and just looked up everything.

New issues arise, different people have different scenarios, their will NEVER be one size fits all answers.

And we want new users to feel welcome to ask questions in what ever way they can...I don't feel as though they need to be "told" on how to ask questions...your posting is almost assuming people are stupid and need lessons.
    04-26-08 03:06 PM
    To minimize going back and forth, try to list as many variables as possible....

What OS do you have?
    What device?
    How long has it been happening?
    Does it happen with WiFi on/off?
    What were you doing when the issue/concern started?
    Low coverage area?

A lot of times, users either don't update their profile (so the 8100 in your sig isn't your current model) or there are users surfing through the WAP site and can't see certain things.

Also check the stickies... A lot of the answers are normally there.

I had made a comment about 3-4 posts a day on "Call/Logs & Messages" being deleted and searching helps.

In all honestly I don't mind double/triple posts as I've noticed that is why these forums have been so successful. There are a lot of users in other forums that ask a question that have been asked before and feel scared to post again after getting picked on.
    Last edited by Jayden0606; 04-26-08 at 03:11 PM.
    04-26-08 03:07 PM
    Besides, Sunkast, how would you triple your post count in the next month without new users asking questions?
    04-26-08 03:08 PM
    Besides, Sunkast, how would you triple your post count in the next month without new users asking questions?
    Thats a good question!
    04-26-08 03:12 PM
    Well then forgive me for trying to post something useful.
    04-26-08 03:13 PM
    I agree.
    Again, it's a forum. No interaction would mean no post numbers for us and none for you- Sunkast.
    04-26-08 03:36 PM
    My intention was to help new users communicate better.
    04-26-08 03:46 PM
    Well, it is a guide...about the same as telling members to quit posting request for the betas- even with an official post from the Admin The difference: the first one causes repetitive responses to the forum and the 2nd can "possibly" get members banned.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-08 04:51 PM
    I think it's good to search and occasionally I get frustrated answering the same question 5 times a day, but it's also true if all the answers are there how will I feed my addiction if there's no new threads to answer to.

So I'd say do a quick search but don't waste too much time cause us regulars are more than happy to help out.

04-26-08 04:59 PM
    You can also easily search this site using Google by using the site operator. What I normally do is type "site:forums.crackberry.com messages deleted" and this brings up a nice list of results, sometimes more relevant than the search from the site itself.
    Thanks for the info, I never knew you could do a google search specific to one site. You learn something new every day.

Thanks again Sunkast, this newbie appreciates it.
    04-26-08 06:02 PM
    There are 25 Thousand new BlackBerry subscribers every day. 2.3 Million is the current quarter forecast and growing.

What happens when they turn it on, they have questions. Many of the questions could be answered from the Users Guides, all 230 pages of it for the 8320.

If they don't find a solution, nearly all of them will turn to the 'net. Google nearly any BlackBerry related question and CrackBerry tops the list. That is how they are finding us, they did a search.

How many have found the answers by reading a few relevant posts? A huge number, judging by the usage patterns.

How many actually register and ask for help? Considering the numbers on new users, a very small percentage.

Human nature being what it is, looking to experienced and impartial advise is best done one on one.

The past few days have been fantastic. Since we first discussed this, the number of "go look it up, *****" post has dropped to nearly nothing. Instead, first responders, sunkast included, have been posting useful links and well considered advise. I am so pleased to see confirmation replies that mean happy 'berry users. Many of them will hang with us, I am sure that will contribute to the community spirit.
    04-26-08 06:06 PM
    Also... this is why Rosetta Stone works... repetition. The more I hear a(n) question/answer, the more I remember. It's a good way to learn.

For example, the google search tip you posted, I won't remember that for the next time, but if enough users ask this question and the more you answer it, the better chance I have for it to stick in my head.

This is why I barely look at other forums besides CB, I'm comfortable in asking repetitive questions and answering them. I actually feel good when I give someone an answer they were looking for and if they didn't ask and searched for the answers, I wouldn't be able to feel good on a consistent basis. There is always a question for me to answer or a response to give on these forums, keeps me from being bored.
    04-26-08 06:35 PM
    Also... this is why Rosetta Stone works... repetition. The more I hear a(n) question/answer, the more I remember. It's a good way to learn.

For example, the google search tip you posted, I won't remember that for the next time, but if enough users ask this question and the more you answer it, the better chance I have for it to stick in my head.

This is why I barely look at other forums besides CB, I'm comfortable in asking repetitive questions and answering them. I actually feel good when I give someone an answer they were looking for and if they didn't ask and searched for the answers, I wouldn't be able to feel good on a consistent basis. There is always a question for me to answer or a response to give on these forums, keeps me from being bored.

I agree. I'm from the "bag phone" and the "StarTac" generation. lol So, I'm learning as I go. At the same time, I'm able to try and help someone as I learn. It's all good.
    04-26-08 07:39 PM
    What happens when they turn it on, they have questions. Many of the questions could be answered from the Users Guides, all 230 pages of it for the 8320.
    Their is another learning path. RIM has job postings for Trainers. If you excel at this, make sure you include your handle in RIM job application.

04-26-08 11:14 PM
    Funny thing is I think that sunkast was trying to help. But the bottom line is that if you get fed up answering the same q's over and over, then just don't reply to them. That being said I signed up for CB in Feb 08 and the reason that I have stuck around is the level of support that I get from the site. As I have learned more I have found myself compelled to pay it forward and help others as much as I can. Just my 2 cents on the matter
    04-26-08 11:26 PM
    *curveoncracke - omg! its working! i love everybody! i just love everybody! ii can never repay you people! i love you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! i can handle it from here... omg its working!problem solved now!
    The right link at the right time.

04-27-08 01:04 AM
    I moved this thread into the Site Questions forum... it's more of a Site Discussion topic than BB discussion topic.

Lots of good points made on this thread all around by everyone.

I receive emails and PMs from members and visitors to the site everyday that say CB is the best online community they have ever encountered both in the BB world and in terms of forum sites in general - friendly to new BlackBerry users, friendly to users new to online forums and flexible enough to allow members to be themselves and not forced to be "conformed" members walking on eggshells. Obviously there are rules to be followed and enforced, but they're designed to create a friendly atmosphere, not restrict community interaction.

No system is perfect, and we always want to make the site better, but it seems to me we're on the right track if we continue going as we've been going. We must be doing more things right than wrong - we've become one of the the most trafficked smartphone community sites on the net and we're barely over a year old.

Everyday I say to myself Thank You for the awesome members we have, but maybe I don't post it enough....

To our longtime always-online members - THANK YOU for being pillars of the community and sharing your knowledge and having the patience to treat every new member's question with respect and attention. One of the things I realized a long time ago is that a lot of BlackBerry users don't even know their device model number, never mind what OS stands for or how to check for what version they have on their device. Your help and patience in answering questions and generating a positive experience for even the newbiest of newbs is what helps make this community so special and continue to grow.

To our new-members - THANK YOU for discovering CrackBerry.com and becoming part of the Community. You will find the answers to your questions here as well as meet a ton of friendly and helpful people. If you enjoy your CrackBerry.com experience, be sure to give thanks to the members who helped you and spread the CrackBerry.com word to all those BB users you meet.

To those in the middle - You joined here as a newbie and you've fallen in love with the community and are now as addicted to CB as you are your BB and are now Paying it Back by helping the next generation of new users... THANK YOU.

Diversity is what makes a strong community, and we have it at CB... in terms of experience levels, in terms of age, in terms of background, geographic location, in terms of everything except the one thing that bonds us all together... our LOVE for the BlackBerry! Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU!!!

Have a great weekend all!
    04-27-08 02:01 AM
    Many "SEARCH!" posts.

Let's all chip in and get him a punch bag so he doesn't store up all his anger and take it out on our newbies. There's politer ways to say it.

Welcome to CrackBerry

Your messages and call logs are deleting because your device is low on memory. Check the links below for some help
    LINKS TO JOHN CLARK, ETC.

Next time, it may be easier to search
    04-27-08 03:45 AM
    I still think those YouTube videos are quite informative as a primer for new users...
    04-27-08 08:02 AM
    Jsanders - those videos are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll link them into the Forum Rules & Guidelines and Forums How To posts so they're more easily found. Informative and entertaining..always a good thing
    04-27-08 09:52 AM
    Are their any objections/conflicts of interest in posting links to the BlackBerry Wiki?

The 101 series fill a lot of the needs, but the Web 2.0 approach is a proven winner in Client Support.
    04-27-08 12:08 PM
    It's always preferable to build CrackBerry.com's knowledge base to be the best it can be within this site itself. Where content is lacking, I'd rather our aim be to build it here vs. take the easy approach of linking out. Linking out is fine if we're lacking something and it needs to be answered/addressed immediately, but it's a quick fix band aid approach vs. long-term strategy to make CB into being the best site it can be.

But what gets built here needs to be originally written - the last thing to do is C&P info from other places into here. Best thing to do is take the knowledge one has and write it up from scratch, add in screenshots, etc. and make it crystal clear and a CrackBerry masterpiece - better than any explanation currently available.

If we have big "gaps" in content that should be on the site but currently are not, let me know and I'll make sure we focus on building it here. I've been slacking a bit on the 101s lately - let me know if there's any in-demand topics and we'll work on them for the 101 lectures, or if members want to take up the initiative in the forums to build that knowledge base, that's even better!
    04-27-08 01:59 PM
    ...write it up from scratch, add in screenshots, etc. and make it crystal clear and a CrackBerry masterpiece - better than any explanation currently available.
    Got it, thanks.

CrackFAQ in progress.
    04-28-08 11:24 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD