I was at my local Best Buy yesterday to exchange my Curve for the 9650 and was told it was discontinued (Verizon), it was even deleted from their system. The Dummy was still on display. My rep advised me to hold on with the exchange because something new is coming soon. Can this be true? If so, what could be the replacement?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by MeMama60; 11-07-10 at 07:31 AM.
    11-07-10 07:26 AM
    Most likely it will be the same device but with os6 preloaded.
    11-07-10 08:15 AM
    I was at my local Best Buy yesterday to exchange my Curve for the 9650 and was told it was discontinued (Verizon), it was even deleted from their system. The Dummy was still on display. My rep advised me to hold on with the exchange because something new is coming soon. Can this be true? If so, what could be the replacement?

The EOL for the Bold 9650 is scheduled for March 31, 2011
    Until then, I believe iSin is correct. Must be they are coming out with Bolds pre-loaded with OS6.

Time for me to get on that bandwagon, huh?
    11-07-10 08:39 AM
    That would be nice, hope it comes soon.

11-07-10 08:40 AM
    Yes Jaydee it is
    11-07-10 12:01 PM
    So the EOL is s/31/11 but they'll have anew SKU b/9 of OS6 for 5 1/2 months?
    Would they replace it w/ a new BB? Even if it's the Storm 3, wouldn't they keep a QWERTY phone alive at the same time? Nothing is even rumored to come down the pike.
    Same thing w/ the Droid Pro. They wouldn't replace a BB w/ a Moto/Droid would they?

11-07-10 02:28 PM
    So the EOL is s/31/11 but they'll have anew SKU b/9 of OS6 for 5 1/2 months?
    Would they replace it w/ a new BB? Even if it's the Storm 3, wouldn't they keep a QWERTY phone alive at the same time? Nothing is even rumored to come down the pike.
    Same thing w/ the Droid Pro. They wouldn't replace a BB w/ a Moto/Droid would they?

I don't understand what EOL really entails so maybe you can tell me. They will sell off the remaining stock of Bolds and because the Bold made the scene in June 2010, does that mean VZW will go with the Bold as their top of the line BB for another year, like I did with my 8330? It was way past it's life when I finally got my 2 year upgrade...
    11-07-10 03:29 PM
    It normally means that the phone is going to be discontinued and something new is in its place. But that can be subject to change in the case of Verizon not having a blackberry to replace it due to RIM delaying production or RIM not producing it.

I cannot see them dropping the 9650 for a Storm 3 as the 9650 is their government/ corperation sales bread and butter. They will have to have a replacement for it. Perhaps a new version of the bold?

As for Bestbuy and the rep, I don't have a clue why they would be discontinuing it to sell a OS 6.0 9650 with a new SKU when there is nothing different between a OS 5.0 and a OS 6.0 9650. I would think that as soon as they start selling 9650's with OS 6.0 they would have the OS 6.0 update on the Verizon site for download or an OTA download. Unless they are doing a slight refresh to replace the keyboard that chips or some other issue. All 9650 are able to be updated to 6.0

This is not like the Droid 2 where it is being replaced with a world edition with GSM/CDMA where that is a big enough change to warrent a new SKU

My advice to you OP is to ether have Best buy call around to see which store still has a few and get one or get one at the Verizon store
    11-10-10 05:30 PM
    I just stumbled upon this thread and its weird because I was in Best Buy today, and the Bold 9650 was no where to be found! I wanted to check it out-but that was a no go- "not available" I was told. *shrugs* guess I'll wait to see what's due out next & check out the S2 in the mean time.

11-10-10 05:40 PM
    I don't think the SKUs change for an update in OS. Probably new colors or something is more likely.

As for Best Buy not stocking the 9650 anymore, it could be that they are waiting for new stock which will have OS6 preloaded.

All just speculation at this point though.
    11-10-10 08:35 PM
    I don't think the SKUs change for an update in OS. Probably new colors or something is more likely.

As for Best Buy not stocking the 9650 anymore, it could be that they are waiting for new stock which will have OS6 preloaded.

All just speculation at this point though.
    I saw somewhere on here that vzw has recently added 2 new SKUs for the Bold 9650, the speculation was that they are for the 9650 with BB6 preloaded. It could be that they will have overlap of the two os versions and/or that they feel that some folks won't want to purchase a device with the new os until such time as it has been around for a while. I think time will tell on that one.

If this is correct, it may be that BB has decided that they only want to handle the new os so they are allowing their stock to run out. It could be that vzw is on the verge of releasing an official BB6 as some rumors have had it.
    11-10-10 10:06 PM
    It normally means that the phone is going to be discontinued and something new is in its place. But that can be subject to change in the case of Verizon not having a blackberry to replace it due to RIM delaying production or RIM not producing it.

I cannot see them dropping the 9650 for a Storm 3 as the 9650 is their government/ corperation sales bread and butter. They will have to have a replacement for it. Perhaps a new version of the bold?

As for Bestbuy and the rep, I don't have a clue why they would be discontinuing it to sell a OS 6.0 9650 with a new SKU when there is nothing different between a OS 5.0 and a OS 6.0 9650. I would think that as soon as they start selling 9650's with OS 6.0 they would have the OS 6.0 update on the Verizon site for download or an OTA download. Unless they are doing a slight refresh to replace the keyboard that chips or some other issue. All 9650 are able to be updated to 6.0

This is not like the Droid 2 where it is being replaced with a world edition with GSM/CDMA where that is a big enough change to warrent a new SKU

My advice to you OP is to ether have Best buy call around to see which store still has a few and get one or get one at the Verizon store
    Verizon is still selling the 9650 at stores here, and also through the website. I don't see another current viable replacement as a "business" phone, since the Bold is the only BB currently offered by VZW with the "no camera" option that is a security requirement for many business users.
    11-12-10 02:04 AM
    I am always hesitant to ask for and get any real "advice" from any worker at Best Buy. Normally there are 1 or 2 actual knowledgeable people in the entire store and the rest either just make up stuff or repeat nonsense they have heard others spout. The ratio at a Verizon store is better, but still 50/50 at best. Just my 2 cents YMMV.
    BayouBengal21 likes this.
    11-12-10 01:13 PM
    VZW may have a new device about that time; however, I would expect it to be an LTE device. I would further expect that any new LTE devcie would be backward compatible to CDMA since vzw will not have the LTE network completed until 2013/2014 but will have enough LTE available for users to begin using it when available to them.

I wonder if the plan is to re-issue the Bold 9650 with a new radio so that it can communicate via LTE? I have heard of no other devcies in the works from RIM that would be a replacement for the 9650, I suppose they could have such a device but I would have expected to hear about it in the forums. Only time will tell!
    11-12-10 03:15 PM
    Was on the Verizon site and saw that the 9650 is on sale till the Nov 15 for $99.00 with contract. hope this helps.
    11-13-10 06:06 AM
    I think that VZW won't ditch the 9650. If anything, they are redoing some things on it. The keyboard could use some better paint!
    11-14-10 12:10 PM
    I would not put too much stock in info from Bestbuy. I remember them discontinuing selling the Storm 2 in the Spring and telling me that it was because Verizon is not selling it anymore and yet it is marching towards winter and the Storm2 is still on sale. So I would not put much stock in to this by Bestbuy.

After all you can still buy a 9630 Tour with camera from my local bestbuy
    11-14-10 01:55 PM
    Verizon is still selling the 9650 at stores here, and also through the website. I don't see another current viable replacement as a "business" phone, since the Bold is the only BB currently offered by VZW with the "no camera" option that is a security requirement for many business users.

I thought that too at one time but now the IT folks can put a policy on the phone to lock out the camera function a few folks at work have tours with camera's and they are locked down.

But you are correct it would be stupid to drop the 9650 without a keyboarded replacement
    11-14-10 01:58 PM
    Received "Private Sale" invite from VZW yesterday and Bold 9650 is on sale for $49.95 after $100 rebate.
    11-14-10 03:07 PM
    I went to verizon to get a case for my bold and there were absolutely no BB cases out at all. They just had cases for all of the android phones. The rep had to go in the back and grab them just for me to look at them so who knows whats going to happen.
    11-14-10 03:22 PM
    The EOL for the Bold 9650 is scheduled for March 31, 2011
    Until then, I believe iSin is correct. Must be they are coming out with Bolds pre-loaded with OS6.

Time for me to get on that bandwagon, huh?
    Yes Jaydee it is

Oh come on Jaydee, you and I both know we will stick with 5.x......

But seriously, 5 works fine for me and I don't want to muck (at this time) with apps that might not work under 6.0.

I'll let everyone else do the beta testing for me.......
    11-15-10 07:57 AM
    I have not had a problem with the paint on my and I have had it since August. I like to verizon have a version of the bold 9700 size and form factor. But the 9650 works greats for me so far. Just patiently waiting for os 6.

11-15-10 09:09 AM
    6 will be nice but I have way too many apps (over 50 installed on device) that need to be updated to work with 6, it'll be cool in a couple months, but not enough to jump right off the bat

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    11-15-10 10:32 AM
    Local Best Buy in Northern VA and Norfolk, VA have them to sell. Might be a local issue. Personally I don't believe anything Best Buy says. The consumer has to be the smarter one now days when it comes to buying electronics. VZW says it's LTE network will be operational here in late 2010.
    11-15-10 10:40 AM
    Went back to my local Best Buy today, and Verizon now has the Bold 9700. It seems to have replaced the 9650. I'm gonna go and get mine tomorrow. Not sure if it has the OS6 preloaded or not and no one there could answer my question. I will let you guys know how it goes.
    11-15-10 05:41 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD