I have used my 9650 since late July/early August and have had a number of build issues. I wanted to list a few of mine and see if it is just me, or do others have the same issues?

1- loose battery door/cover
    2- trackpad installed crooked
    3- trackpad no longer able to push in as far
    4- gaps around screen

I am also wondering what has happened to the quality of BB in general? They used to be like tanks that looked like fine art...now they are much inferior to many other manufacturers...with less than a month on my contract with VZW it may be time to move on.
    11-07-10 06:11 PM
    I've had my Bold 9650 since June 4th and I do not have any of those problems. What I do have is chipping of the paint from the keys of my keyboard and from the track pad. I attribute this to my long nails using when texting...I text like a fiend. I don't like the way the keyboard looks but VZW will probably swap it for me if I call them. SO that is going to be my next duty. Maybe even before I load up OS6 on my phone.

That's it for my complaints.

Have not noticed the things you mention. Maybe you got a bad one? Have you asked for a replacement?
    11-07-10 06:25 PM
    I stopped in yesterday...and the "kid" said that I should just deal with it as there are new phones coming out soon...WTF!
    11-07-10 06:34 PM
    Tell the "kid" that if you deal will it, he'll be dealing with it too.
    11-07-10 07:17 PM
    Really!!! And who wants a new phone? You want a working 9650!!!!
    11-07-10 07:22 PM
    i have the paint chip problem too. i just want to replace the 2 keys tho because i hate reloading stuff onto a new blackberry. (ive had my bold since july)
    11-07-10 11:44 PM
    I've also had my Bold since it was released in June. My trackpad is ever so slightly slanted, but it doesn't effect the performance. I don't have any other problems at all. Knock on wood!
    11-08-10 12:12 AM
    I have had my Bold for a few months and have been 98% happy. My battery door squeaks a little and my track pad is slightly crooked. I haven't had any paint chipping or track pad peeling (thank god - I'm very OCD!). My biggest complaint is sooooo minor. The raised "dot" on the 5/D button is now white. The paint wore off after about a week. It took my Tour about 6 months to have that happen. I agree that the build quality has gone down. This is my 5th berry and I see a difference in the attention to detail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-10 01:49 AM
    I've also had my Bold since it was released in June. My trackpad is ever so slightly slanted, but it doesn't effect the performance. I don't have any other problems at all. Knock on wood!
    +1 Mine is the same, no problems at all. But then, I don't abuse it with long fingernails......
    11-08-10 08:19 AM
    My bold is rather new. I dont have any paint chipping yet. But i do notice that the menu back keys and trackpad dont click as solidly as the tours did. There is more of a sound when they are pressed. The crooked pad i can deal with, im right handed and it works out ok actually.
    11-08-10 08:34 AM
    The slightly slanted trackpad is the only cosmetic issue with my device. The protective membrane that came with my Otterbox protects the keypad from chipping. Device works perfect.
    11-08-10 08:37 AM
    has anyone noticed the coating on the trackpad itself peeling off?
    11-08-10 08:46 AM
    My battery door is really loose too, drives me nuts. Had the same problem with my tour. Horrible design.
    11-08-10 09:30 AM
    Yes, covered in a few threads now. Here's one:http://forums.crackberry.com/f172/tr...eeling-538622/

My battery door is really loose too, drives me nuts. Had the same problem with my tour. Horrible design.
    +1 loose on my Tour, but snug on my Bold.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 11-08-10 at 09:39 AM.
    11-08-10 09:33 AM
    Yeah, wow, this topic has been beaten to death. Here's some light reading for ya:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f172/tr...-paint-493331/
    11-08-10 09:43 AM
    Unlucky,you maybe get a bad one.
    11-08-10 10:55 AM
    I have used my 9650 since late July/early August and have had a number of build issues. I wanted to list a few of mine and see if it is just me, or do others have the same issues?

1- loose battery door/cover
    2- trackpad installed crooked
    3- trackpad no longer able to push in as far
    4- gaps around screen

I am also wondering what has happened to the quality of BB in general? They used to be like tanks that looked like fine art...now they are much inferior to many other manufacturers...with less than a month on my contract with VZW it may be time to move on.
    Hey DR, long time no see. My Bold is as perfect as my Tour was until last summer when I had a problem that VZW couldn't or wouldn't fix and gave me a Bold as a free replacement phone. Neither phone had a loose battery door, nor did any of the other 5 or 6 at our office, maybe try one of the tape methods used by some here in the CB threads. Trackpad is slightly crooked, but I am too lazy (or chicken) to repair it (search threads). Trackpad still works fine for the most part, but works better on left side than right side when pushed in. Yeah, those little gaps around the screen collect dust and dirt, but like my old Tour trackball, I clean my phone on a regular basis with optical lens cloth which are like alcohol wipes but much better and made for glass and plastic lenses/screens. Then again, maybe I am not as hard on my phone as you are on yours.
    11-08-10 11:41 AM
    Hey DR, long time no see. My Bold is as perfect as my Tour was until last summer when I had a problem that VZW couldn't or wouldn't fix and gave me a Bold as a free replacement phone. Neither phone had a loose battery door, nor did any of the other 5 or 6 at our office, maybe try one of the tape methods used by some here in the CB threads. Trackpad is slightly crooked, but I am too lazy (or chicken) to repair it (search threads). Trackpad still works fine for the most part, but works better on left side than right side when pushed in. Yeah, those little gaps around the screen collect dust and dirt, but like my old Tour trackball, I clean my phone on a regular basis with optical lens cloth which are like alcohol wipes but much better and made for glass and plastic lenses/screens. Then again, maybe I am not as hard on my phone as you are on yours.
    Mike,

I have been good. Thanks.

I finally got in touch with someone from executive relations and they are going to swap it out yet again...I hope this one is a keeper!

I am not a fan of the Iphone, but when I see the attention to detail that Apple displays, it makes me wonder why can't RIM be as detailed.

I know many of you say,...it is just a phone. I have higher standards than most, and average quality is not my thing. I would happily pay $500 for a blackberry if it had less issues and felt as solid as other phones do.
    11-08-10 03:17 PM
    I hear ya my friend, I have always been willing to pay a little more for top quality.
    11-08-10 04:17 PM
    Only issue I have on my 9650 is the track pad is slightly tilted. No big deal....for it works just fine.
    11-08-10 04:30 PM
    YES! began peeling about 2 months ago
    11-08-10 04:43 PM
    Honestly...I think the Bold build quality is a lot lower than that of the 9000. With that being said, I think it was stupid of BlackBerry to call the Tour refresh a "Bold", and still give it a lower than standard build quality. The Bold 9000 is a great and WELL built device, the 9650 however does not go along those lines.

I would like to see the next devices on Verizon be built to a higher quality. Then again, I doubt we will ever see that.
    11-09-10 11:52 PM
    Ya as much as I love my 9650 after coming from the 9630 and 8330, I can vouch that it seems CDMA devices do not get the same care the GSM counterparts get. With that said, I'm excited to see LTE devices because if that becomes the international standard, then we will see all the good devices like GSM does due to a larger market. Money talks after all!

11-10-10 10:00 PM
    Are you serious? The paint on the trackpad is coming off? That would drive me up the wall.

11-11-10 08:39 AM
    Are you serious? The paint on the trackpad is coming off? That would drive me up the wall.

Here's another link to a thread about the track pad peeling. A known issue unfortunately:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f172/tr...eeling-538622/
    11-11-10 10:57 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD