A 30-year-old Texas man claimed this week that he was talking on his Motorola Droid smartphone when it exploded in his ear.

Wearing a bandage over his head, Texas resident Aron Embry showed broadcast reporters his Droid 2 phone, which appears to be cracked with a burn.
    Man Claims Droid 2 Smartphone Exploded in His Ear | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

12-04-10 02:19 PM
    Yea I saw that yesterday. Very interesting.
    12-04-10 02:21 PM
    **** happens lol
    12-04-10 02:28 PM
    How did he fit it in his ear? They're somewhat bulky.

I wonder if he had an aftermarket battery. Some off brand lithium ion batteries are dangerous and can explode given the right conditions.
    12-04-10 02:41 PM
    It's a scam.

1) His first impulse is to drive to his wifes place of work - an elementary school no less, covered in blood, so she can take pictures? They happen to mention not having health insurance?

2) After the battery explodes to the point of breaking the glass and burning him, needing stitches (never heard of a burn needing stitches...and they would have said if he needed a graft, and burned skin isn't strong enough to support sutures) the phone still works?

It's a money grab. I hope they get nothing. I hope Motorola stands up for themselves.
    12-04-10 03:01 PM
    Sounds extremely suspicious to me too. I think it's a money grab.
    12-04-10 03:04 PM
    heheh Poor guy he should of went EVO .

That was a jk droid groupies so don't lash out lol
    I think the guy is scamming Moto
    12-04-10 03:28 PM
    rare, but not unheard of, phones exploding
    12-05-10 06:49 PM
    It has to be due to cell phone radiation. He should have gotten the app that tests for that.
    12-05-10 09:26 PM
    rare, but not unheard of, phones exploding
    Even more rare for them to explode and still work. Considering the only thing in the phone that could explode with enough force to break glass, would be the battery. It's also the only thing that would allow the phone to continue working after the fact. I have had batteries in other electronics swell, burst, overheat and in those cases they were always dead afterward. An exploding battery, would not fare BETTER than those that died due to swelling, leaking or overheating.

They (hubby and wife), never said they bought a new battery to test the phone. Just that he was on a call when it exploded, then went to where his wife works, to tell her, and to have her document the "damage", test the phone to see that it was still working, and then off to the ER to get stitches.

It will really be interesting to see how this plays out after the investigation of the phone, to see what actually more likely to have happened to it.
    Last edited by BlkBear; 12-08-10 at 08:33 PM.
    12-08-10 08:15 PM
    Personally think it's legit and NO it's not uncommon for something of this nature to happen, they could've had a defective battery to begin with, it could have been aftermarket, it could've been many things and under certain conditions it COULD happen.

Just because we don't see this happening everyday doesn't mean it's bogus, there are many (one in a million) accidents, circumstances happening everyday, they might not get media coverage, but trust me they are out there.

We figure just because WE haven't heard of anything like this, then it must be a scam, shows what this country has come to.
    Last edited by JoelTruckerDude; 12-09-10 at 08:39 AM.
    12-09-10 07:18 AM
    can you hear me now? lol.

calling bs on this report.. first of all the moto droid battery is on the backside of the phone and on the other side of the sliding mechanism. if the battery exploded with enough force to damage his ear then his hand would've received even more damage than that since there's less material between the battery door and his hand than there is between the battery and his face. ...yet his hand doesn't have one mark on it???

poorly executed scam attempt. next time he should just spill some hot coffee from the drive through on himself.
    12-09-10 10:02 AM
    Personally think it's legit and NO it's not uncommon for something of this nature to happen, they could've had a defective battery to begin with, it could have been aftermarket, it could've been many things and under certain conditions it COULD happen.

Just because we don't see this happening everyday doesn't mean it's bogus, there are many (one in a million) accidents, circumstances happening everyday, they might not get media coverage, but trust me they are out there.

We figure just because WE haven't heard of anything like this, then it must be a scam, shows what this country has come to.

That has nothing to do with why I feel it's a scam - and I'm not in the States either. It has everything to do with their behavior after. I'm sorry but if a cell phone explodes in my ear I'm immediately going to the hospital. I'm not going to my spouses work to traumatize children with my blood soaked appearance so they can take pictures first.
    12-09-10 10:34 AM
    That has nothing to do with why I feel it's a scam - and I'm not in the States either. It has everything to do with their behavior after. I'm sorry but if a cell phone explodes in my ear I'm immediately going to the hospital. I'm not going to my spouses work to traumatize children with my blood soaked appearance so they can take pictures first.

Just like your post has nothing to do with MY OPINION about this and I don't recall quoting you on anything posted in this thread, just sharing MY VIEW, like you shared yours.

SGTFOMB
    12-09-10 11:54 AM
    He he, it is a little warm in here.....
    12-09-10 12:02 PM
    I agree with you, reeneebob. Someone who has a phone EXPLODE their their face/ear is not going to go right to the wife to take pictures. That's ridiculous. They are going to go to the hospital because, well, they are going to have chemical burns on their face.
    12-09-10 12:28 PM
    What, was the thing taped to his ear? Why didn't he have hand burns too? What I can't believe is what lengths people will go to pull a scam money grab. Wrecking your ear? I'm surprised he didn't have a photo crew on hand to capture the moment right after it blew up. I'm not buying this one bit.
    12-09-10 01:24 PM
    What, was the thing taped to his ear? Why didn't he have hand burns too? What I can't believe is what lengths people will go to pull a scam money grab. Wrecking your ear? I'm surprised he didn't have a photo crew on hand to capture the moment right after it blew up. I'm not buying this one bit.
    Pressure bandage to help keep the swelling down and to help keep it from bleeding.

Well he did say it blew outward towards his ear, so if that did in fact happen, whatever that (apparently not the battery), was focused from the top of the phone. And looking at tear downs of of the Droid 2, I don't see anything there that could do that.

Since the battery lived through the ordeal, it could have been the screen, but according to the couple, the phone works just fine, all but the broken outer glass. Seems the LCD is working just fine.

Motorola Droid 2 Teardown - iFixit
    12-09-10 08:46 PM
    Just like your post has nothing to do with MY OPINION about this and I don't recall quoting you on anything posted in this thread, just sharing MY VIEW, like you shared yours.

SGTFOMB
    Jesus Christ, touchy much? You need to back the **** up and realize that you made a comment about how society in the States makes it that people are automatically skeptical, and all I did was explain that it had nothing to do with why I was skeptical.

So before you attack posters for no f*&king reason, how about you realize that when you make a blanket statement on everyone in the thread like you did, when people respond back to it you need to dial the vitriol down a GD notch. Good lord.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 12-10-10 at 02:11 AM.
    12-10-10 02:06 AM
    Jesus Christ, touchy much? You need to back the **** up and realize that you made a comment about how society in the States makes it that people are automatically skeptical, and all I did was explain that it had nothing to do with why I was skeptical. You didn't need to explain anything to me as my post wasn't aimed at you specifically and I don't recall quoting you on it either, I was expressing MY OPINION of the matter, just like YOU and every other poster in this thread did, just because YOU don't agree with it, doesn't mean I'm not entitled to post it as I'm sure there are many others that don't agree with yours or mine either, but you don't see them quoting me like I directly accused them of lying or blatantly telling them their wrong ..

So before you attack posters for no f*&king reason, I never attacked anyone how about you realize that when you make a blanket statement on everyone in the thread like you did, when people respond back to it you need to dial the vitriol down a GD notch. Good lord. Rather funny you seem to be the only one that felt compelled to get bent by my post as others REALIZED it was nothing more than MY OPINION and now you feel compelled to make this more than it needs to be.
    Not touchy at all, but when you directly quote me about something that wasn't directed to you and then you come at me in a DEFENSIVE manner like I've quoted or told you, you was full of s*it, then yeah, I'm gonna fire back and MY VIEW and MY OPINION still stands about this, just like YOUR OPINION has been stated.

I never stated in my post that it had anything to do with why YOU feel it was a scam, I merely shared MY VIEW on the matter and if it bothers you then DON'T READ IT.

I'm just trying to figure out how you've managed to make this thread about you as everything was fine until you've made this personal and have twisted the thread now with your rants.

Maybe you should read my signature next time.

I'm done with this discussion, let the mods sort it out.
    Last edited by JoelTruckerDude; 12-10-10 at 06:24 AM.
    12-10-10 06:15 AM
    people need to calm down and stop taking internet discussions with anonymous people so personal.

if you make a post in an open forum then it's fair game for anyone to respond to...even if said post isn't directed at them.

if they don't agree with you then no need to get all sensitive about it, you could ignore it and move on. it's just a counter-point, not a personal attack.

don't turn this place into the rants and raves forum.
    sam81 likes this.
    12-10-10 08:48 AM
    Lol you guys are funny as ****. Stop fighting over a phone that may have exploded in someones ear. Lets all hold hands and eat gingerbread cookies.
    12-10-10 08:54 AM
    I never stated in my post that it had anything to do with why YOU feel it was a scam, I merely shared MY VIEW on the matter and if it bothers you then DON'T READ IT.
    I think we can all think about this, even the quoter!
    12-10-10 09:07 AM
    12-10-10 10:39 AM
    ^^^ I was just gonna post that. I knew it was a scam from the beginning, just by looking at the screen and the cracks...
    12-10-10 10:46 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD