I've been extremely frustrated since I upgraded my Sprint 8830 to v4.5 and decided that it was time to start pushing my Gmail to get HTML images instead of using the Google Gmail app. Within a week I had 845 messages pushed to my BB and I realized that the filters I set up were only working on my BES account and not the Gmail account.

So I clicked the Sprint Mail Setup icon and saw where I could add, change, or delete email accounts, but no filters.

So, I clicked Help and read that I could not change the BIS filters from my device. For more information see "Blackberry Internet Service Online Help".

So, I did a web search on "Blackberry Internet Service Online Help". All Google finds is web pages telling you to SEE "Blackberry Internet Service Online Help".

So, I went to Blackberry.com and searched for help on setting up BIS filters. No information.

So, I went to Sprint.com and searched for help. No information.

All of these sites give step-by-step directions for setting up a BES filter, and absolutely no help on setting up a BIS filter.

After 3 days, I finally found the clue that I needed here in Crackberry 101 Lecture 11 on e-mail set-up. Unfortunately, the lecture doesn't include any help for setting up a BIS filter, but the crucial information I need was the link to the correct web site.

STEP-BY-STEP HOW TO SET UP A BIS EMAIL FILTER

I thought about including screen shots, but there isn't any way for me to do that without exposing personal information.

1. Go to the appropriate Blackberry BIS site for your carrier. The list of sites can be found on Crackberry 101 Lecture 11 under TIPS.

BlackBerry 101: Lecture 11: BIS Email Basics | CrackBerry.com

2. Enter the username and password for the BIS account you set up with your carrier.

3. You will see a list of all email accounts that are being pushed to your device. Next to each account there are icons for EDIT, FILTERS, and DELETE. Click the FILTERS icon next to the desired account.

4. Click Add Filter

5. Give the filter a name

6. In the pull-down list select the criteria for this filter:

New mail arrives.
    A high-priority mail arrives.
    "From:" field
    "Subject" field
    "To:" field
    "CC:" field

7. If you select one of the last four items, fill in the "Contains" field. Separate multiple entries with semicolons.

8. Now choose whether this filter forwards or does not forward the selected messages.

The following example is a filter I use to block all of the daily and weekly online sales emails:

Filter Name: SALES
    Apply Filter When: "From" field
    Contains: Sam's Club;Costco;Dominos;Papa John's;Sears;Barnes & Noble;Reader's Digest;Men's Wearhouse
    [ ] Forward message to device
    [ ] Header only
    [ ] Level 1 notification
    [x] Do not forward messages to device

9. Click Add Filter

You should see your new filter in the list. To edit an existing filter, click the EDIT icon next to the filter name. To delete an existing filter, click the DELETE icon next to the filter name.

The process if very simple, if you know where to find the website. I don't know why Sprint and Blackberry.com don't provide a direct link to it.

Hope this helps, and I hope I included enough tag words in this post so people find it in their searches.
    05-29-09 12:17 PM
    here is the link to the sprint bis site

BlackBerry Internet Service
    05-29-09 04:06 PM
    I love the filter options, I actually any emails from wife forwarded as Level 1 PIN messages

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-09 04:33 PM
    BEARTENOR1 - I followed your steps for filtering.

QUESTION: If you're trying to block mail from sites like ESPN, Amazon, MLB, and Youtube, in the "Contains" category- Do you have to include the whole address (i.e. mlb.com), or can you list list "mlb" and it will work ??

I am trying to set up a few different filters. One to block a specific school alert email (i.e. [email protected]), and another to block some of those more general emails (Amazon, ESPN, MLB).

I'm unsure as to HOW SPECIFIC you need to list addresses in order for them to block related emails.....
    08-04-09 02:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD