Maybe somebody can tell me why this is happening and how to fix it?

When I go into my SMS and MMS there is just a blank spot where I was having a conversation with a BBM contact(highlighted in picture). When I click on it as to open the conversation, it takes me to it without a problem but then when I back out it still shows the blank spot. Why does this happen? I have tried(multiple times) doing a battery pull.

I know it is a BBM conversation and not text message because when I get a message from her my LED blinks white, which I set using BeBuzz, as Blackberry Messenger IMs. However when I go into BBM application it doesn't show any conversations, just she is listed under the Contacts tab but when I go to SMS and MMS and click the blank I can see our conversation. I can post more pictures if that would help.

I mean its not a huge deal for me at the moment because she is the only BBM contact that I have so I know when there is a blank in SMS and MMS that its the conversation with her but non the less I would like to get it figured out and fixed.

I have a Storm 2 on Verizon running .320(what came on it) with BBM version 5.0.0.57.

Any ideas why this is happening?
    -Russ03
    03-29-10 11:23 PM
    if you have a bbm contact linked to phonebook contact, and that phone book contact sends you an sms, it will come through in bbm and use the bbm alert profile sound. this is only on the, now, older builds, if you upgrade to the latest storm leak this issue should disappear. did i read the issue right? i'm not sure if thats what you're talking about or not. so if that is your problem, the solution would be to remove the contacts link in bbm or upgrade your OS.
    03-30-10 12:55 PM
    Not really what I was talking about. Now I know why it always comes across as BBM.but what I mean is the name is completely gone like it doesn't show up in the SMS and MMS. Its just a blank spot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-10 12:58 PM
    Not really what I was talking about. Now I know why it always comes across as BBM.but what I mean is the name is completely gone like it doesn't show up in the SMS and MMS. Its just a blank spot.

Ok sorry if I seem dumb or not understanding, is what you're saying is that in your SMS inbox list the names don't show up? Like you can't tell which conversation is which in the list? Or after you open it you can't tell which is you and which is them? Just trying to totally understand because you're saying names aren't showing up but your pictures clearly show names

03-30-10 01:38 PM
    I'm sorry maybe I'm the one not being clear. It was late when I posted this. I will try to simplify what I said earlier:

I only have 1 Blackberry Messenger Contact.
    I do also have her regular cell phone number in my contact book.
    So they are "linked" together.
    All of my other contacts who I just SMS(text message) are perfectly fine, nothing is wrong with them. Only the one BBM contact.
    When I go into my SMS inbox, only her name is blank.
    I highlighted it in this new picture at the bottom of this post.
    She is the only one that in my SMS inbox the name space is blank.

Does that help to calrify the problem? What I highlighted in yellow in the picture should show something like this:
    Shelby _______ (Mobile)
    Hey

...but instead it is just a blank spot and she is my only BBM contact.
    Last edited by mchruss03; 03-30-10 at 10:27 PM. Reason: forgot to add picture
    03-30-10 09:37 PM
    Bump to see if anybody has any ideas on how to fix this or has had this happen before.

Thanks,
    -Russ03
    04-01-10 10:29 PM
    that is really strange, haven't seen that or heard of that happening, are you 100% sure it's not a theme issue? does it still happen on the stock/default theme?
    04-02-10 02:54 PM
    Hey katiepea thanks for your help and suggestions on trying to get this fixed.

I tried going back to the default theme and looked back at my SMS inbox and it still shows a blank but when I click on it again it still takes me to where it did on the custom theme so I don't know.

Have a look for yourself, still a blank spot and this is even after a battery pull once I switched themes just to see if that would help.
    04-02-10 03:45 PM
    Just for troubleshooting purposes, go to your phone options, then SMS and toggle "show names" and "conversation styles" around just to see if that possibly resets anything

04-02-10 03:52 PM
    I played with those settings as you suggested. I didn't get any difference. I even tried a battery pull at one point.

What should I do now since nothing seems to be fixing this? I don't think Verizon will be any help at all.

Should I give R.I.M./Blackberry a call or EMail since everything has failed and if so I know I have tried looking for their phone number or EMail and it is next to impossible to find. At least for me it was.
    04-02-10 06:19 PM
    You tried removing the contacts link inside of bbm right?

04-02-10 06:21 PM
    I unlinked her PIN from the Contacts and it still shows a blank space.
    04-02-10 06:25 PM
    I mean inside of BBM select her name and press the menu button, then "remove contacts link"

04-02-10 06:29 PM
    Ahhh. Ok, I unlinked her by doing what you said and......still no luck! grrr.

Maybe my Blackberry just hates me!!

Note Katiepea: Check your PMs
    Last edited by mchruss03; 04-02-10 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Added Note:
    04-02-10 06:31 PM
    What about trying to delete that thread now and starting a new one with her?

04-02-10 06:35 PM
    I just wanted to post saying that this issue I was having has been resolved(at least for now).

Thanks For All The Help From Katiepea
    04-02-10 09:22 PM
    I had the same problem after I removed the contact link between Messenger and my contacts after upgrading my Tour to 5.0 today. I solved it by opening SMS/msm Clicking on Options, then General Options, then changing the Separators from "Lines" to "stripes". All is good in my world again. Try that.
    04-05-10 03:28 PM
    apparently you didn't see in the post above that the issue had been resolved....
    04-05-10 03:35 PM
    I had the same problem after I removed the contact link between Messenger and my contacts after upgrading my Tour to 5.0 today. I solved it by opening SMS/msm Clicking on Options, then General Options, then changing the Separators from "Lines" to "stripes". All is good in my world again. Try that.
    I tried that and it still didnt fix the problem for me. its really annoying to me. i assume if i clear the chat it would be fine, i would just like to NOT have to do that to fix the problem. i was so happy when i got the sms's removed from bbm but now im even more annoyed that there are blanks inside of the sms inbox. grrr. i have multiple friends with bbm too so its extra confusing with multiple blanks. there has to be another fix other than clearing sms history to bring back the names to showing.
    04-24-10 03:11 AM
    I have same issue with my girl. She has a work BB and personal env. Every time she SMS me it is in the SMS folder totally blank untill I open it. The SMS also comes to my BBM as a SMS. WTF?!?!?!
    04-24-10 02:44 PM
    ha i fixed it for myself and it was incredibly easy and dumb that i didnt think of to try before. after you have unlinked the contact from the bbm contact, and you go into ur sms inbox and see blanks on the sms messages, open said "blank" message and send that person a message thru sms. the persons name should then return to the "blank". at least it did for me. all "blanks" gone now and i didnt have to delete sms history or anything. sometimes the answer is so simple that i dont even think of it.
    04-25-10 11:37 PM
    The SMS also comes to my BBM as a SMS. WTF?!?!?!
    like others said previously, you have to remove the contact link. go into bbm and highlight the contact and then hit blackberry button and select unlink contact. ignore the warning message it gives about losing the pin, it will be fine. the only difference now it that her bbm contact/pin is not within her main contact information but this doesnt matter really, you just wont be able to select that contact and have the option to bbm them in the menu. but she will still be within you bbm contacts.

to get her name to reappear to the "blanks" sms messages, just reply to her with an SMS. her name should then reappear in the inbox. must be unlinked first to work.
    Last edited by raspberry14; 04-25-10 at 11:52 PM.
    04-25-10 11:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD