Hi,
    I'm feeling paranoid (for various reasons) and all I have to go on atm is the 'behaviour' of my friend's BlackBerry. He's currently abroad for a few weeks and bought the 'phone before he went specifically to keep in touch with me using Blackberry Messenger. However, I have now not heard from him for 6 days and the Blackberry Messenger message I sent him just has a tick next to it. No D or R. I later discovered he was showing as "Unreachable". I thought this meant his 'phone was off or out of signal (neither of us knew what the network reception would be like where he is) but I have had a delivery receipt for a sms, so now I don't know what to think. He hasn't responded to the text either but I still don't know whether to think there is something going on with the 'phone or not. He is not very technical and was worried he wouldn't be able to use the 'phone properly but he did okay(ish!) before he left (though only had a few days to practise).
    Thank you for any of your thoughts.
    12-29-09 04:02 PM
    Do you know if he went to any "Hostels." All honesty, it means his BB is in an area with no BB coverage. Which should be far and few places. Send him an email so he can at least receive that eventually when he reconnects to the BB network.
    12-29-09 04:28 PM
    Getting no D and R, and him being Unreachable means there's no data connection turned on on his BlackBerry. Text piggyback on voice so that's why you saw a delivery there.

If you are worried (i have a bad habit of over-worrying, thinking people are harmed) then i would call him if possible.

my logical side thinks that, since you stated he's not very technical, that perhaps he accidentally disconnected from the data, maybe by messing in Manage Connection options.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-09 04:33 PM
    Thank you both for your comments. Am sorry that it has taken me so long to respond to you. I have heard from this person (by text message) and it turned out that I was right to contact this forum, wondering if it might be a technical (or rather human using technology) issue. It was. I was relieved to hear that, though very frustrated to hear that he has sent me "MMS" everyday and I have not received one, and he's still "unreachable" on BlackBerry Messenger + doesn't receive any emails that I send him. I have deleted him from my Contacts and Invited him again, but he's not responded to that so I presume he didn't get it. I asked him to check his settings in Manage Connections and he has confirmed that Data Services are On, so I really don't know what the issue is and feel there's not a lot more that I can do from this far away. I think it will just have to stay unresolved until he returns, which makes it kind of a waste him taking the 'phone
    Thank you again.
    01-05-10 05:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD