Disclaimer: I have no idea what Times of the Internet is all about; this article just came to me on a Google Alert for Blackberry Storm 3. I also do not particularly trust buy recommendations from brokerage houses, since their rumor-based trading is largely responsible for tanking our economy.

Finally, I have to wonder about a site that can't even get a three-letter acronym right.

Let the speculation begin.

Synaptics Stands To Benefit From RIMM Storm 3 Launch
    Friday, June 25, 2010

Synaptics, Incorporated (NASDAQ:SYNA) stands to benefit from the launch of the Blackberry Storm 3 by Research In Motion, LTD, according to Collins Stewart.

Collins Stewart�s checks indicate Synaptics touchscreen controller will be in the Research in Motion�s Storm 3 headset, which is expected to launch in August.

The firm has Synaptics with a �Buy� rating and a $36 12-month price target.

Shares of SYNA are currently trading at $28.12 each.

Increased demand for the touchscreen controller could have a material positive impact on revenues going forward.

Synaptics Stands To Benefit From RIMM Storm 3 Launch | News Briefs
    06-25-10 12:54 PM
    "RIMM" is correct.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-10 01:10 PM
    RIMM is how Research in Motion limited is listed in Nasdaq

06-25-10 01:13 PM
    Expected to launch in August? as in two months?
    Last edited by grahamf; 06-25-10 at 02:38 PM.
    06-25-10 02:34 PM
    bbleaks just tweeted with a link to the same article
    06-25-10 03:24 PM
    Its the dang slider again. People keep thinking of it as a Storm because of the touch screen.

06-25-10 04:28 PM
    Can someone explain what this " Synaptics touchscreen controller" is???

And yeah.....they're talkin about the slider
    06-25-10 04:41 PM
    Its the dang slider again. People keep thinking of it as a Storm because of the touch screen.

ah.

06-25-10 04:51 PM
    A touchscreen berry without surepress is like a cornflake without the milk.
    06-26-10 06:26 AM
    ah.

LOL, great job with bunny expressions!
    06-26-10 06:57 AM
    I wonder why a company as huge as RIM has such a backwards, self-defeating policy when it comes to PR and advertising.

Hypothetical: The Storm 3 (or any new device that hasn't really officially hit the public awareness, leaving out slider, clamshell, tablet) is announced in August. How backwards is it to not want the public to know about it? We all know people either irl or online that either have jumped ship or came close to it because RIM has allowed the public to believe they where staying in their cave and not staying abreast of the competition, trying to earn the consumer's trust and money?

This is a bit off topic but rim's policies regarding merchandise discloser sucks. I'm sure a troll will hop in here and give some lame excuse as to why RIM is doing well by not keeping the public informed of their products. Every other company in every other retail/commercial field, without exception, understands the need to communiate and advertise in this day and age of instant communication and information overload... RIM says things like "we wished we could say more?"

I can't imagine how damaging that would be in another scenario... Whether electronic or, say automobiles. How long have apple fanbois known about I4? How about Droid X?

My $.02; RIM is sticking with a business model that reduces its effectiveness. If they are relying on their brand loyalty to keep them ahead... They are in a field way to competitive to feel the consumer will continue blind loyalty. I won't stick with blackberry if I feel iphones or droids will continue to leave them in the dust.

The only company I know of that never advertises, period , is Rolls Royce (in the consumer/public field). RIM may once been the only big player on the field but those days are gone.

06-26-10 08:02 AM
    Everyone has always known that there would be an iphone 4, but just look at how short the amount of time was before it launched when we actually knew the specs of it and as for the Droid X, just how many different lists of spec were labelled as that device, it wasn't until fairly late on that the correct specs were confirmed to be that device.

It is pretty ironic that you hold apple up as an example of a company that likes to inform in advance when prior to a few iphone 4 leaks the usual situation with apple products in recent years is that their final specs were only leaking at most days before the official launches and the reasons for that is pretty obvious, sales of current models would be harmed as more people waited and the level of excitement over the announcement of a new device would be diminished if it became known too far in advance of it's actual launch.

Rim cannot match the vast sums that apple spend on advertising their new products, but as seen by the reduction in leaks this year, they have been able to try and match apple in another important aspect and that is in controlling the information so that when they do announce a new device officially the attention is maximised and the delay until it can be bought after that announcement is minimised.

Incidentally, trying to pre-emptively label somebody as a troll for disagreeing with you, that seems a rather desperate action from somebody who doesn't feel capable of backing up their points.
    06-26-10 08:48 AM
    LOL, great job with bunny expressions!
    nothing says disappointment like personalized emoticons.
    06-26-10 10:21 AM
    Everyone has always known that there would be an iphone 4, but just look at how short the amount of time was before it launched when we actually knew the specs of it and as for the Droid X, just how many different lists of spec were labelled as that device, it wasn't until fairly late on that the correct specs were confirmed to be that device.

It is pretty ironic that you hold apple up as an example of a company that likes to inform in advance when prior to a few iphone 4 leaks the usual situation with apple products in recent years is that their final specs were only leaking at most days before the official launches and the reasons for that is pretty obvious, sales of current models would be harmed as more people waited and the level of excitement over the announcement of a new device would be diminished if it became known too far in advance of it's actual launch.

Rim cannot match the vast sums that apple spend on advertising their new products, but as seen by the reduction in leaks this year, they have been able to try and match apple in another important aspect and that is in controlling the information so that when they do announce a new device officially the attention is maximized and the delay until it can be bought after that announcement is minimized.
    There are a couple things wrong with your argument IMO...

1. Yes people knew there would eventually be an iphone 4. The phone is extremely popular. Droids also share a niche in popularity in "tech" circles... these phones have leaked over the internet in a manner that a tech savvy person would be able to get the information prior to launch. The avg consumer wouldn't be looking for that info regarding these devices except for maybe the iphone due to its popularity.

2. Sales of generational products would get hurt or face price reduction in the marketplace if a replacement product was to be announced for sale while existing product is on the shelf. That never really matters though. You don't see Toyota stopping sales of Camrys until inventory sells out before they release a new one... the previous generation model goes on sale with incentives to move product. VZW could give another b1g1 on the current Storm line.

3. I've seen RIM do a few advertising spots since the Storm line up first came out. But since phones are carrier specific, those are usually joint cost between the carrier and RIM. As for controlling information, you usually don't do that unless you have something so new and innovative, you're willing to keep it a secret until it's unveiled so other companies don't try and mimic you and so you can bring something to the table that the consumer wants. When is the last time a Blackberry came out with something brand new... I don't think they lead any of the phone makers in innovation and design.

If the Storm was going to try and gain market share among touchscreen devices they would have to outclass everything that's out there with something so exciting that's never been done, because both Android makers and Apple are leading in HW specs and feature richness that I don't think RIM has ever offered in a Blackberry
    06-26-10 05:10 PM
    I also don't really buy the whole "must keep people in suspense" bit for either marketing or preserving sales (at least, not late in the development cycle). The bulk of large sales numbers usually coming in the first half of a phones life cycle, when no replacement is even on the horizon. Once you get into the last third or so, you may have the occasional person not purchase the current model to hold off for the new one, but (especially when you are competing against companies that are showing more rapid growth) I doubt the number of delayed sales is greater than the number of people who switch to phones from other companies that are more current in their sales cycle.

So I really think RIM should be a bit less opaque, but then perhaps Verizon or other carriers also have specific requests in their marketing contracts. Funny thing is neither the Iphone4 nor the Droid X seem to have suffered in terms of marketing nor initial sales (for the former) despite having leaked more than a sieve.
    06-27-10 02:36 PM
    Think there are a lot of great points in this discussion and great different perspectives.
    However, to summarize most of these points put together. The reason info for the Droid X and iPhone 4 works being kept under wraps or secretive from a marketing standpoint is because they are pushing the envelope for new tech with regards to smartphones. So when we finally find out true info on them, we are for the most part impressed by the phones on paper, and wanna go experience them and try them out.
    With RIM, their history with phone upgrades has never been a huge leap in terms of hardware and specs with regards to whats already out there. They upgrade a device by adding more memory, add a trackpad and upgrade the mp's on the cameras, thats really it. What else is there?
    So for RIM to try to switch their marketing prespective just for the S3 and keep it this secretive, if that's what they are indeed doing. Then this phone better do what the Droid X and iPhone 4 did in terms of pushing hardware and specs. If the S3 does this and we don't know about it until maybe a month before it's released then this marketing tactic may indeed work. Also, people on here, including myself, will most likely think it was worth the wait or worth being kept in the dark for so long. If is does really push the envelope and is as good on paper as it is working in your hand, then we can really be happy that it can compete with all these new phones and maybe actually be an iPhone killer.
    ON the flipside, if the usual track record holds true and it's just a minor upgrade like all the other phones, then this marketing tactic will be a complete fail.
    Because then they kept us in the dark for a device that is still behind the iPhone and Droid devices and I feel this will eventually really kill their brand loyalty for a lot of people on here.
    My 2cents.....
    06-27-10 09:16 PM
    Yeah, but how many Storm 1 users, like you and I, have a NE2 coming up in the next 1-3 months? AND Verizon is offering to waive the wait for anyone with a NE2 by the end of the year if they buy the Droid X. That is a huge incentive for people who are fed up with the S1!

PLEASE RIM, give us some news... at least before July 15!

Scott
    06-28-10 10:04 AM
    You can count me in as one of the ones that bought the S1 on opening day and is wondering which way to go.

I'd love to see RIM do something to surprise and keep me loyal to the BlackBerry (the S1 is my 3rd BlackBerry).

However, with their track record still holding at minor hardware changes and OS6 just looking like a prettier version of 5 with a few tweaks taken from the Android, I'm finding it difficult to get excited about anything they might be doing.

My NE2 is available on 7/21. I figure I will hold off until then, or maybe even mid-august. If no "GOOD" rumors (pics and specs) have shown up...then like many others on here and other BlackBerry boards I read will be jumping to a Droid.

So PLEASE RIM give us something, anything to keep our curiosity piqued!!!
    06-28-10 11:08 AM
    I also don't really buy the whole "must keep people in suspense" bit for either marketing or preserving sales (at least, not late in the development cycle). The bulk of large sales numbers usually coming in the first half of a phones life cycle, when no replacement is even on the horizon. Once you get into the last third or so, you may have the occasional person not purchase the current model to hold off for the new one, but (especially when you are competing against companies that are showing more rapid growth) I doubt the number of delayed sales is greater than the number of people who switch to phones from other companies that are more current in their sales cycle.

So I really think RIM should be a bit less opaque, but then perhaps Verizon or other carriers also have specific requests in their marketing contracts. Funny thing is neither the Iphone4 nor the Droid X seem to have suffered in terms of marketing nor initial sales (for the former) despite having leaked more than a sieve.
    I tend to agree with this. People holding out for the new exciting release over your current product means they may also hold out on a competitors product awaiting release of what they know you will have shortly.
    06-28-10 11:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD