I just want to share my experience with you regarding the blackberry services abroad.

In the Netherlands I use my standard T-Mobile carrier. However I'm quiet often in Indonesia and I don't want to get a surprise from T-Mobile (high costs).

So I tried to activate blackberry services onto a prepaid SIM card in Indonesia (carrier SIMPATI by TELKOMSEL).

According to the website of telkomsel it is very easy to activate blackberry services by calling *303# and follow instructions.

My fear was actually that it was impossible to have blackberry services at another provider than T-Mobile (my current one in the Netherlands).

Telkomsel offers blackberry services for one day, one week or one month.
    Well, I chose "one day", just to test. (the unlimited package is Rp6000/day which is approx. USD 0.64/day or EURO 0.47/day).

For safety I changed my settings for data to "off when roaming". Just to make sure that T-Mobile doesn't charge.

After activation it took approx. 2 minutes for activation and the blackberry services are working great.

I don't know how it works, but it still uses my emailaccounts which I activated earlier at T-Mobile (instantemail.t-mobile.nl).

I asked T-Mobile if they don't charge extra for services abroad they said that they won't (by email).

So I'm a happy blackberry services user (messenger, using my emailaddresses, internet etc) abroad.

I don't know if this is shocking news to all of you, but I wrote this fot those who didn't know yet.
    02-11-10 08:29 PM
    Sounds awesome!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-10 02:14 PM
    I'll be using my Bold soon when I go abroad for my holiday using UFONE which I believe have BB services! so its good to know its wont be charged!
    03-17-10 04:26 PM
    Folks, when I switch fm Storm to Storm2, I want to know if when using wifi abroad the roaming charges are negated.

Otherwise i will keep on using my Ipod touch on travel.....

And do BB's with Wifi allow you to reroute to Wifi from the RIM network when you are say, at home? Now I don't care as I have a large data package (1GB per month). But let's say I get a smaller data package in the future and try to pull some of the heavy stuff in via wifi...does the system allow switching that way?

Not a newbie, just haven't used Wifi equipped models up to now...Al
    03-19-10 02:37 AM
    the reason you can still access your accounts is that you're logging into your BIS account through your phone, which is handled by RIM and not t-mobile. so you can theoretically place your phone in any network that has a blackberry data option (aka connection to RIM's servers) and you should have full functionality of your BIS features.
    03-20-10 06:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD