This tutorial will help you clip out your favorite parts of your favorite songs to create your own MP3 files that you can use as ringtones.

1) Go to Free Software Downloads and Software Reviews - Download.com and search for "Audacity"

2) The first program on the list should be "Audacity 1.2.6". Click "Download Now" and save the setup file on your desktop.

3) Open the file you just downloaded and follow the installation instructions - then open the program itself

4) Click File -> Open. Select the file you want to edit. Your screen will look something like this

5) Click Play. Or take the cursor to where you think your favorite part starts and hit Play. Use the ZOOM button for more accuracy.

6) Once you find the exact spot where it starts, hit 'stop', NOT 'pause' (Pause will not let you edit). Now highlight the song starting from that spot to about 30 seconds after. E.g. If your favorite part starts at :30, highlight up to 1:00. (I only select 30 seconds because my ringtones never play longer then that)

7) Click Edit -> Copy.

8) Create a new file by going to File -> New

9) Paste your selection by selecting "Edit -> Paste"

10) If you want to trim the end of the clip a little bit, highlight the part you want to delete and press "Delete" on your keyboard

11) To "Fade-In" the song, select the first couple of seconds of the clip, Click on Effect -> Fade In. To "Fade-Out" the end, highlight the last couple of seconds of the song and click Effect -> Fade Out

12) Now that you have your ringtone finalized, File -> Save Project As. This is NOT your ringtone file, rather you are saving this so you can edit it later

13) Go to File -> Export as MP3. The first time you click this, you might be asked to download an encoder. Its been a long time since I did this so I cannot remember the exact prompts, but AGREE to download the encoder as it is required. If it asks for a lame_enc.dll file, you can find it here Audacity: How do I download and install the LAME MP3 encoder?

(Continued in next post)
    Last edited by sim_plic_i_ty; 02-27-09 at 12:17 AM.
    04-17-08 03:29 PM
    (continued from original post)

14) Name your file and click Ok. A window will pop-up asking for details about the song. Fill in whatever fields you like and click OK.

15) You should see a small window pop-up showing the encoding progress.

16) That's it. You are all done! Transfer your new MP3 clip on to your phone and you are all set!

Feel free to post here, email or PM me if you have any questions
    04-17-08 03:29 PM
    woooooow or you could just go to myxertones.com and be done in like 30 seconds and do the same thing without taking up space on your pc with this software
    04-18-08 03:17 PM
    woooooow or you could just go to myxertones.com and be done in like 30 seconds and do the same thing without taking up space on your pc with this software
    Good call. I'll definitely check it out.
    04-19-08 01:36 AM
    Thanks, I followed your steps and it worked great!

My only note is that when it asked me to locate a file, unless I missed a step, I didn't already have the file and I had to go back onto the Audacity website and download the file it needed... just fyi.
    04-19-08 10:18 PM
    Thanks, I followed your steps and it worked great!

My only note is that when it asked me to locate a file, unless I missed a step, I didn't already have the file and I had to go back onto the Audacity website and download the file it needed... just fyi.
    Was that when you you tried to export it as a MP3? It should only happen the first time...

Glad it helped you!
    04-19-08 11:39 PM
    Yeah it was when I tried to export it as a mp3 and it only happened one time.
    04-20-08 09:56 AM
    Yeah it was when I tried to export it as a mp3 and it only happened one time.
    Thank you for letting us know about it
    04-20-08 10:23 AM
    im getting error 36?? and when i tried to download the zip it was taking for ever to downlaod for the mp3 reader any help?
    04-29-08 02:28 AM
    i use GOLDWAVE and jetaudido
    04-29-08 08:21 PM
    first of all, this is a great how-to thread. Thanks for putting this together simplicity.

Bit of an issue here... I just did this with an mp3 and emailed it to my phone, but it sounds a little fuzzy and low volume on my phone even though it's perfectly crystal clear on my computer. Any thoughts/ideas?

(My original mp3 quality was 128kb/s and I left it that way when I made the ringtone, if that'll be an issue...though, 128 is pretty high for a ringtone, hehe.)
    05-19-08 04:49 PM
    first of all, this is a great how-to thread. Thanks for putting this together simplicity.

Bit of an issue here... I just did this with an mp3 and emailed it to my phone, but it sounds a little fuzzy and low volume on my phone even though it's perfectly crystal clear on my computer. Any thoughts/ideas?

(My original mp3 quality was 128kb/s and I left it that way when I made the ringtone, if that'll be an issue...though, 128 is pretty high for a ringtone, hehe.)
    Is it just that ringtone or do all your ringtones not sound that good on your phone? I know for a fact my ringtones sound better on my laptop because lets face it, how much quality do we really expect from the Pearl's tiny speaker.

If its just this specific ringtone, let me know.
    05-26-08 06:38 PM
    What shoud I do if it ask me for lame_enc.dlls but I can't find it in the Audacity folder?

This happened to me when i clicked export to mp3...

I tried downloading Lame Front-End but i believe this program has nothing to do... does anyone know where is lame_enc.dlls?
    05-28-08 11:18 AM
    thanks for the post, but when i try to open to do a new file, it says something like it's a playlist file and it can't open because it contain links to other files..what do i do now?
    06-09-08 08:49 PM
    Is it just that ringtone or do all your ringtones not sound that good on your phone? I know for a fact my ringtones sound better on my laptop because lets face it, how much quality do we really expect from the Pearl's tiny speaker.

If its just this specific ringtone, let me know.
    It seems to be a consistent problem with all of the ringtones that I make myself. The ones that I downloaded from crackberry ringtone site sound great.

Any ideas?
    06-16-08 11:15 AM
    I just made a ringtone, and I sent it to my blackberry, but it came out really quiet. Is there a way to increase the volume before saving it, so that it plays loud enough to be an audible ringtone?

Thanks
    07-28-08 06:14 PM
    Ok so I downloaded audacity and went to open a file and it is completely distorted... I've tried everything and even opened up different files and they all sound the same... What's up with that? I bought the song off ITunes does that make a difference?
    08-06-08 03:16 AM
    Ok so I downloaded audacity and went to open a file and it is completely distorted... I've tried everything and even opened up different files and they all sound the same... What's up with that? I bought the song off ITunes does that make a difference?
    iTunes uses a proprietary format. If you don't have a converter, you can burn the songs to a cd, then upload them in mp3 format. PITA, I know, but you do whatcha gotta do.
    08-06-08 07:59 AM
    thank you... I did figure that out when I downloaded the song from amazon and it worked perfectly... which sucks because all of my music is on ITunes lol... so has anyone figured out the quiet thing? Mine is pretty quiet too
    08-06-08 12:40 PM
    To successfully use Audacity to export a working MP3, you need the free LAME encoder which can be found here Audacity: How do I download and install the LAME MP3 encoder? Follow the instructions for installing and off you go.
    08-06-08 01:04 PM
    I just made a ringtone, and I sent it to my blackberry, but it came out really quiet. Is there a way to increase the volume before saving it, so that it plays loud enough to be an audible ringtone?

Thanks
    Check the link in my signature for MP3 tools. MP3Gain should take care of that for you.
    08-08-08 07:31 AM
    MP3Gain is the real deal. You can increase the volume of your ring tone with one click.
    08-08-08 02:04 PM
    it's also great for audio books and podcasts that for one reason or another, are just way to low.
    08-08-08 02:27 PM
    i use GOLDWAVE and jetaudido
    You can also use MP3DirectCut from the link in my signature. Audacity is nice, but the reason why you need to download LAME is because it reencodes the file when you save it... hence affecting the quality of the mp3. MP3DirectCut allows you to load the mp3, cut out the parts you want and then save it out without having to reencode or changing the quality of the file. It will be the same as the original.
    08-08-08 06:57 PM
    Good call. I'll definitely check it out.
    08-12-08 08:29 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD