What is this UMA wifi business? And why do we want it so much?
    08-11-09 08:34 AM
    You can talk over wifi when you can't get on the network
    08-11-09 08:43 AM
    You can talk over wifi when you can't get on the network
    That is it. Most people like it for places such as a basement where they may not receive a strong signal from their carrier. It allows for relatively clear calling over any wifi network that does not have its specific ports blocked.
    08-11-09 09:24 AM
    Any settings that you need to set in order to make UMA call ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-09 09:38 AM
    Any settings that you need to set in order to make UMA call ?

The hardware must support it. Just because a phone has Wi-Fi doesn't mean it has UMA. People have thought that UMA is software, but it's hardware.

People like UMA because it will give them great reception in their home using their Wi-Fi when they get a weak cell signal from their carrier. Another great thing about UMA is you can make calls like you normally would internationally. You wouldn't get raped on call rates using UMA internationally.
    08-11-09 11:04 AM
    UMA = Unlicensed Mobile Access
    08-11-09 12:12 PM
    UMA isn't hardware specific.

Any WIFI devices is fully capable of allowing UMA calling. However it requires a FW update to enable the feature. Most of the time RIM blocks this at the carriers request. Why would Rogers or T-Mobile want to support a device on their network that they dont sell?
    08-11-09 12:17 PM
    UMA isn't hardware specific.

Any WIFI devices is fully capable of allowing UMA calling. However it requires a FW update to enable the feature. Most of the time RIM blocks this at the carriers request. Why would Rogers or T-Mobile want to support a device on their network that they dont sell?
    No, any Wi-Fi device is capable of VoIP. But not UMA. UMA is specific. UMA uses Wi-Fi to connect to the GSM network. I'm sure if the Bold was capable of UMA then Rogers would have been actively advertising it. RIM does not block UMA at the carrier's request. Many carriers don't support UMA like AT&T so RIM removes it from the device.
    08-11-09 12:55 PM
    Incorrect, ANY GSM WIFI ENABLED BB IS CAPABLE OF UMA.

RIM_Investor_Bold.bmp (image)

Trust me. It's blocked at the firmware level by RIM.
    Last edited by sniffs; 08-11-09 at 01:10 PM.
    08-11-09 01:02 PM

UMA Today: RIM is BOLD with UMA - That pic was probably when RIM found out that they couldn't do UMA and 3G at the time.

If it was blocked by the firmware level, then why can't you access UMA options at the engineering screen with a debranded Bold? The Bold cannot support UMA because it does not have the hardware for it. UMA pushes cell network traffic through a Wi-Fi access point and that goes to the GANC from the carrier. UMA is not VoIP or SIP, therefore it is not software.
    08-11-09 01:21 PM
    Here's AT&T's verbage on UMA/GAN.

"UMA/GAN
    UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access), sometimes referred to as GAN (Generic Access Network), provides carrier services (GSM�/GPRS/EDGE) over unlicensed networks such as Wi-Fi. It allows smartphones that are Wi-Fi capable to make GSM phone calls over Wi-Fi networks
    ."

Doesn't mention anything about T-Mobile specific "hardware". I do believe it conflicts with UMA, but an unbranded Bold can turn 3G off.

Fact of the matter is, people have unlocked AT&T devices, gotten the T-Mobile service books as well as the @home UMA profiles/certs on their device and have working AT&T Blackberrys on T-Mobile's UMA services.

Use any UMA enabled BlackBerry on T-Mobile | BlackBerry Rocks!
    Last edited by sniffs; 08-11-09 at 01:37 PM.
    08-11-09 01:31 PM
    Here's AT&T's verbage on UMA/GAN.

Fact of the matter is, people have unlocked AT&T devices, gotten the T-Mobile service books as well as the @home UMA profiles/certs on their device and have working AT&T Blackberrys on T-Mobile's UMA services.

Use any UMA enabled BlackBerry on T-Mobile | BlackBerry Rocks!
    The info on that blackberryrocks article doesn't work. Anybody have any luck getting UMA calling from AT&T devices? I have an 8820 and would love to have WiFi calling, but don't have the foggiest how to enable it.
    08-11-09 09:57 PM
    Yeah as soon as someone can actually come up with a method of how to enable UMA on my device and not nit-pick what it is in the first place.........
    I'll be here waiting, thanx.
    08-12-09 01:20 AM
    UMA is only necessary when your provider (t-mobile) has incredibly bad coverage (like in the United States).

UMA is an excuse, it was an attempt to stop people from switching to Verizon or Sprint or AT&T.

Also any WiFi GSM phone can do UMA but like others said RIM disables this in the firmware at the carriers request not to mention T-Mobile is the only provider that actually has the feature infrastructure in place. Not like you can magically get Verizon or AT&T UMA working, they don't offer that kind of connectivity into their network and phone systems.
    08-12-09 08:20 AM
    UMA is only necessary when your provider (t-mobile) has incredibly bad coverage (like in the United States).

UMA is an excuse, it was an attempt to stop people from switching to Verizon or Sprint or AT&T.

Also any WiFi GSM phone can do UMA but like others said RIM disables this in the firmware at the carriers request not to mention T-Mobile is the only provider that actually has the feature infrastructure in place. Not like you can magically get Verizon or AT&T UMA working, they don't offer that kind of connectivity into their network and phone systems.
    Incredibly bad coverage huh?......my wifes mytouch is screaming 3G here in Norfolk,Virginia....I have UMA to save my plan minutes....with TMO if u use wifi & UMA with the hotspot plan for 9.99 the UMA calling doesnt deduct from your plan........even when not using 3G....my BB always has good connection

PS gary....people dont switch to "other" because the above mentioned carriers have **** customer service.......TMO doesnt need tactics....I just simply prefer them as a whole...pricing/cs/uma/bb choice...........
    Verizon: too expensive, bully attitude, bad cs
    Sprint: worst cs/stupid credit limit setup/non english speaking
    At&t: Bad CS/poor coverage/censorship
    08-12-09 08:33 AM
    If you travel internationally a lot UMA is a great feature to have. All your calls to a USA number from the local hotspot will charge as local calls instead of international rates.
    08-12-09 10:33 AM
    If you travel internationally a lot UMA is a great feature to have. All your calls to a USA number from the local hotspot will charge as local calls instead of international rates.
    does it prevent international rates?...i seem to remember an argument about that.....
    08-12-09 10:44 AM
    does it prevent international rates?...i seem to remember an argument about that.....
    As long as you have access to a wi-fi connection, your UMA calls will be charged as if you were in your home area. That's a BIG savings when travelling internationally but wanting to call home.
    08-12-09 11:17 AM

If it is blocked by RIM at the carriers request, why don't all Roger's Blackberries with wifi support UMA? If I could get UMA on a bold I would have got that instead of my 8900
    08-13-09 04:49 PM
    sorry in advance if I don't use correct "speak"
    I am connected at home to "SCSAPABG" with 5 bars...UMA has 2-3 bars but can't send test and phone reception is lousy.
    Please use small words and type slooowly
    09-09-09 03:43 PM
    Incredibly bad coverage huh?......my wifes mytouch is screaming 3G here in Norfolk,Virginia....I have UMA to save my plan minutes....with TMO if u use wifi & UMA with the hotspot plan for 9.99 the UMA calling doesnt deduct from your plan........even when not using 3G....my BB always has good connection

PS gary....people dont switch to "other" because the above mentioned carriers have **** customer service.......TMO doesnt need tactics....I just simply prefer them as a whole...pricing/cs/uma/bb choice...........
    Verizon: too expensive, bully attitude, bad cs
    Sprint: worst cs/stupid credit limit setup/non english speaking
    At&t: Bad CS/poor coverage/censorship
    I like your style meing!

Who gives a shhh.. what the technical description is, I just wanna know if it will work. And another question and probably the most important one, the one which no one has had the guts to ask. And no offense to the ladies;
    Will this device enhance my ability to get some pun tang?
    09-09-09 04:10 PM
    Short answer:

Yes.

d:

09-10-09 08:30 AM

Ahww meing!, yes that was rude, crude, and socially unacceptable but there you have it folks.

I'ma have to go out and get this phone quick, fast, and in a hurry.
    09-10-09 01:31 PM
    Wait a minute, does Tmobile already offer UMA???

09-11-09 12:52 AM
    Wait a minute, does Tmobile already offer UMA???

Yes they do
    09-11-09 12:55 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD