Express you Touchpad concerns here, maybe others can answer your concerns if they have facts regarding it.

My concern...
    - like anything you constantly touch it starts to wear over time. Now it you're rubbing your finger on an area every single day and every few mins... wouldn't you start to see some signs of that glossy finish starting to fade?
    Think about the touchpad on a laptop that fades of time from dragging your finger around.

- there is a chrome frame around the touch pad... 2 concerns here. The ring acts as a bumper in which would scrape/rub and particles off your fingers on to the touchpad. No i'm not talking about dirty fingers even a clean finger can have skin particles coming off when rubbed. not even to see with the naked eye but over time can build up to where using a q-tip to clean the touch pad is a weaking thing.

- hand must always be completely dry... no one want to pull out there BB with a touchpad after being in the rain and getting no response or leaving a drop or water on the touchpad behind. A damp finger on the trackball is fine for a split second.

- wouldn't the chrome ring wear over time, if you're constantly hitting it?

These are just my concerns, I like all the features of the up coming Onyx. I'll probably have to play with it for a while and read what other users say before jumping face first in.
    08-11-09 09:59 AM
    From a scientific point of view, trackpad or not, there would be epithelial residue whatever you touch unless you wear gloves. I agree regarding the wear over time problem but I guess it's also replaceable like the current trackball. As for dry hands, I have sweaty palms and it has been a problem when using touchscreen devices such as the storm which often embarrass me when I need to use it in front of other people but I still gotta play with a trackpad to see it for myself.
    08-11-09 11:16 AM
    I played around with a Tmobile BB 8520 and I wasn't really sold on the trackpad either. Maybe the time I spent messing around with it was insufficient but it lacked the solid feel I get with the trackball.
    Also my thumb seemed to develop a slippery feeling the more I used the trackpad. The preciseness, the crispiness was lacking.

One final thing. I've noticed a majority of users on crackberry and other forums complain about the faultiness of the trackball (dust, etc...)
    I've had my curve for almost two years and and by no means am I extra caring or extra clean the way I handle it but the trackball works just fine, just like the day I got it. True, maybe its marginally discolored but other than that I have no qualms.
    08-11-09 12:05 PM
    I'm concerned that it's slightly too awesome.
    08-11-09 12:58 PM
    I am intrigued with the trackpad. I do have concerns until I actually use it. Like others have stated, I haven't had ANY issues (other than minor cleaning) with the trackball. My trackball works just as good as the day I bought my Bold. I like the feel of the trackball too. You have very precise scrolling yet you can quickly swipe your finger to get a "power" scroll. I've become very functional with it.

I hope the same holds true with the trackpad. I would love to demo one once a new BB comes out with it.

Is there another BB out or coming out soon that will have the trackpad other than the Onyx?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-09 01:23 PM
    I am intrigued with the trackpad. I do have concerns until I actually use it. Like others have stated, I haven't had ANY issues (other than minor cleaning) with the trackball. My trackball works just as good as the day I bought my Bold. I like the feel of the trackball too. You have very precise scrolling yet you can quickly swipe your finger to get a "power" scroll. I've become very functional with it.

I hope the same holds true with the trackpad. I would love to demo one once a new BB comes out with it.

Is there another BB out or coming out soon that will have the trackpad other than the Onyx?

The T-mobile 8520 has the new TrackPad, in the US walmart, and the t-mobile stores have them to demo. I haven't checked bestbuy yet
    08-11-09 01:37 PM
    Everything wears over time the phone is still sick.
    08-11-09 02:38 PM
    Most of us hard core berry users don't keep one long enough to wear something out...
    08-11-09 06:41 PM
    Doesn't matter, I rather have the touch pad over the track ball. I assume the track pad will always work even if it starts to look old. The track ball on the other hand will catch lint and that would cause some problems.

--HeavyC.

08-11-09 06:48 PM
    When berries all had a roller WHEEL on the right side of the device-- everyone thought it was fantastic.
    When berries started to come with a little rolling ball on the front side of the phone-- everyone yelled-- blasphemy!!!! What have they done to my berry?????? Then they got to love it and swear by it and it became the golden standard in screen navigation.
    Fast forward (let's pretend it's 2012......
    When berries started to come with a little thing called a trackpad on the front side of the phone-- everyone yelled-- blasphemy!!!! What have they done to my berry?????? Then they got to love it and swear by it and it became the golden standard in screen navigation.

Until the next update my friends...................

lol

08-12-09 05:28 AM
    does anyone know if the touchpad is designed like a push button? so when you click on something you actually feel your finger pressing down and coming up?
    08-12-09 11:42 AM
    from using a bb device with a tp, I can say its fine.

its just a logical evolution, and im guessing slightly more durable to boot.

now if they did the next logical evolution and moved to a trackpoint style device, that'd rock
    08-12-09 12:50 PM
    hello everyone, i was today at T-Mobile store and played with 8520, wanted to test its trackpad, i just wanna let you guys know i may be new to this forum, but not with the BlackBerry devices, now i own the Bold and of course lovin' it, since i heard about upcoming Onyx, that was a reason to play with 8520, I'm really in love with trackpad, even i play with it only 15-20 mins, very responsive and durable, feels great and clicks are much easier, i set at the options under the screen/keyboard at 90 sensitivity and choose between mute and click of course Click, guys it rocks trust me on this, I'm the one who sleep with BlackBerry in my hand, can't wait to get Onyx. lol
    Last edited by joju58; 08-12-09 at 10:40 PM.
    08-12-09 10:37 PM
    you worrey too much it will be fine
    08-13-09 01:16 AM
    I love it when something new comes along and all of the "e-engineers" come out and explain why it won't work. Like rim was just founded a month ago and said, hey what's this trackpad thingy? idk, but lets put it on our device and ship it to millions of people and just "hope" it works.
    08-13-09 08:41 AM
    Pad, ball, screen...as long as I can get an Onyx, I don't really care!
    08-13-09 10:03 AM
    As long as they can get the sensitivity issues fixed (a few OS builds) I think the trackpad will be better than the ball. Also I hope that they get the clicking mechanism to be as solid as the ball. That way there wont be any "miss-clicks"
    08-13-09 05:18 PM
    Let's put it another way. On a laptop, would you rather use the trackpad or the joystick in the miiddle of the keyboard. The trackball while certainly better than the trackwheel has had its day and is another moving part to wear out or stop working all together.
    08-13-09 06:43 PM
    I picked up an 8520 today.... just to mess with the pad a bit. gonna give it to my sister, i love my 8900 and my bold too much to switch... it would be a step backwards. after having played with the pad.... I CAN TELL YOU GUYS IT RRRRROCKS!!! Took me about 4 of 5 strokes to perfect it (i'm not kidding). The phone as a whole is kinda cheap feeling to anyone using high end stuff right now, but put that pad on a bold or 8900... Anotherwords-- the Onyx and watch out!!!

can't wait!
    08-13-09 10:22 PM
    yah, the trackpad is great. no doubts here bro
    08-13-09 10:26 PM
    I'd rather have the trackpad. On my MacBook, the trackpad button quit functioning after just a few months. Luckily, I was able to enable clicking on the trackpad by tapping it. Haven't looked back since.
    08-13-09 10:33 PM
    does anyone know if the touchpad is designed like a push button? so when you click on something you actually feel your finger pressing down and coming up?
    It is a push button. The whole trackpad clicks down, similar to the trackball clicking in. No worries on having to tap it like on a laptop touchpad.

As for all of the reliability concerns, IMO it should last just as long, if not longer, than a trackball. The plastic itself will probably fade/wear the color away, especially on the crome bezel, similar to the bezel on the 8900.

I'm excited for the Driftwood myself, trackpad and all.
    08-13-09 11:08 PM
    I'm still waiting to try out the touchpad on these devices but from the videos, they look very good.
    08-14-09 03:29 PM
    I've had the trackball and now the pad and I gotta say I like the pad a little more now.
    08-14-09 04:03 PM
    Let's put it another way. On a laptop, would you rather use the trackpad or the joystick in the miiddle of the keyboard. The trackball while certainly better than the trackwheel has had its day and is another moving part to wear out or stop working all together.
    I still think the trackpoint is superior.

What I'm concerned about is how the trackpad works in cold weather. I live in sunny Florida so that's not a problem for me. But if you live in places where you have to put gloves on, will the trackpad work? If it's anything like the Zune pad, it won't work in cold weather because it's capacitive.
    08-14-09 04:41 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD