So I'm sitting here frustrated after upgrading and downgrading my OS, and I still can't seem to find out whats wrong with my 9700....there's no UMA option.

I've browsed everywhere and read almost every UMA post there is but no one has seemed to talk about this situation where I can't even select the Wi-Fi Preferred option.

So basically my problem is that I can't even select UMA or Wi-Fi as the main source of data and voice in the "Mobile Network Options"....

Someone please help!! I know UMA works on my network cause my 8900 has worked fine for almost a year!!!

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Best,
    kookieshk.
    05-15-10 05:59 PM
    don't know if this is going to work if it does i'm happy for you but if it doesn't sorry.
    first if got the upgrade and using the same sim card maybe that could be the problem it's just bad connection with the sim card so remove the battery and try to reposition the sim card it happen to me before. second if your using the leak version of the os that could be the other problem. third try this option.1. setup 2. set wi-fi 3. wi-fi option 4. bb menu button 5. wi-fi tool 6. wi-fi diagnostics 7. sroll down to uma they should be the error code and call tmobil and give them the code they could help you good luck i hope this helped
    05-15-10 09:04 PM
    Are you using a T-Mobile or AT&T device?
    05-15-10 11:12 PM
    Neither. A friend got it for me in Hong Kong. Arghhh this is so frustrating!
    05-15-10 11:22 PM
    Neither. A friend got it for me in Hong Kong. Arghhh this is so frustrating!
    God, I sure as hell hope you're not using a Blueberry.
    05-15-10 11:24 PM
    I just checked my Wi-Fi Diagnostics, and even in advance I do not see the UMA section....does this mean my phone does not support UMA??
    05-15-10 11:24 PM
    Press ALT + SHIFT + H...tell me your Vendor ID
    05-15-10 11:28 PM
    My Vendor Code is 295

thanks!!!
    05-15-10 11:31 PM
    My Vendor Code is 295

thanks!!!
    05-15-10 11:32 PM
    My Vendor Code is 295

thanks!!!
    That's China Mobile. Do you even get 3G with that phone?
    05-15-10 11:33 PM
    yeah, it allows me to pick between 3G & 2G or only 3G
    05-15-10 11:36 PM
    yeah, it allows me to pick between 3G & 2G or only 3G
    I understand you can choose it, but do you actually receive the 3G signal is my question. Anyway- you're not going to get UMA. You need to install 2 certificates. Do a search on the forum and you'll find the answers.
    05-15-10 11:39 PM
    will do!
    thank you so much for all your help!

-kookieshk.
    05-15-10 11:43 PM
    sorry to ask so much but should i search for T-mobile 3G certificate and UMA certificate?
    05-15-10 11:43 PM
    I actually had them, here ya go: StoreItOnThe.Net - File Hosting Leader

PS: please check your PMs

My buddy Troy over at BlackBerry News let me know about a pretty cool guide on how to use any UMA enabled BlackBerry on T-Mobile.

Normally, cell phones on a network are locked to that network. If you get a BlackBerry Bold, unlock it and would like to use its UMA capabilities on T-Mobile, now you can.

Check out the steps for how to do this after the jump. If you aren’t comfortable with making changes like this to your BlackBerry then you should not try this. Let me know how it works out for you in the comments.

This will work with any UMA enabled device. Make sure you enter your PIN in ALL CAPS and enter the application number with the parentheses.

1. On your BlackBerry, you need to download and install two T-Mobile certificates (see above for download)

2. You need to get into the EScreen. On your blackberry press and hold ALT CAPS and letter H DO NOT EXIT THIS SCREEN, the code generated is based on the uptime you enter.

3. Using your computer go to findmymep.com, there is a calculator there.

4. Enter the information from your blackberry on the computer EXACTLY as it appears.

5. You will receive an 8 digit e-screen code.

6. On your blackberry and without leaving the screen that displays the information enter the code. For numbers press and hold the ALT key and for letters enter them directly without worrying about capitalizing the letters.

7. At the EScreen select <Mobile Network Engineering Screens>

8. Select <Utilities>

9. Select <Session Manager>

10. Press the BlackBerry menu button and select <UMA Options>

11. Press the BlackBerry menu button and select <New>

12. Enter the following: Display Name: T-Mobile Operator Name: T-Mobile UMA Protocol version: 1.0.3

13. Unselect <use default UNCS> and enter punc.t-mobileuncs.com use Port: 14001

14. Unselect <use default SEGW> and enter psgw.t-mobilesgws.com

15. Select the SEGW certificate named T-Mobile USA, inv. Engineering and Operations CA

16. You are all set.
    These are modified instructions originally from Use any UMA enabled BlackBerry on T-Mobile | Guides & Tips | BlackBerry Rocks!
    Last edited by 312; 05-15-10 at 11:54 PM.
    05-15-10 11:52 PM
    got it up and running you rockk!!!

thanks so much

-kookieshk.
    05-16-10 12:40 AM
    No problem. Still waiting for your reply from my PM.
    05-16-10 02:04 PM
    read this post and am hoping you can tell me if this will work for rogers phone too? are the steps the same? and the certificates?
    05-17-10 10:52 PM
    T-Mobile certs are for T-Mobile only.

For Rogers:
    In the escreen:
    Mobile Network Engineering Screens
    Utilities
    Session Manager
    BLACKBERRY BUTTON
    UMA Options
    BLACKBERRY BUTTON
    New

Display Name = Factory Provisioning
    Operator Name = Rogers
    UMA Protocol 3GPP rev. 6
    UNCHECK default....
    Provisioning Address = hbsc.uma.rogers.com
    Port 14001
    UNCHECK Default...
    SEGW Address = segw.uma.rogers.com

SEGW certificate = ca.rogers.com

SAVE IT

Go to MANAGE CONNECTIONS
    Mobile Network Options
    Set Connection Preference to WiFi Preferred

Set Network Mode to 2G = NOTE 3G WILL NOT HANDOFF TO UMA SO IF YOU MUST USE UMA YOU WILL HAVE TO FORCE OVER TO 2G. HANDOFFS FROM UMA TO 2G ARE WORKING IN BOTH DIRECTIONS.

Assuming you have followed the instructions you should get UMA to lock in within 2-3 minutes of acquiring a WIFI signal.

Router setting changes aren't needed unless you have some crazy firewall settings. You're on your own.

Good luck and PLEASE post all your questions in this thread, I am reciving toooooo many PM's to reply to everyone.

Lothario80

Give it a couple minutes
    PS- what model/operator is your phone?
    05-17-10 10:57 PM
    its a brand spankin new 9700 from rogers, OS v5.0.0351 still has factory plastic on it lol
    05-18-10 04:37 PM
    its a brand spankin new 9700 from rogers, OS v5.0.0351 still has factory plastic on it lol
    You really should be calling Roger's customer service then. I was under the impression you had a device from another carrier.
    05-18-10 04:50 PM
    I would, but the sales dude who sold me the phone told me uma wasnt available on the 9700. I often get the impression that the ppl who are there to help are in need of some help themselves lol
    05-18-10 04:54 PM
    I would, but the sales dude who sold me the phone told me uma wasnt available on the 9700. I often get the impression that the ppl who are there to help are in need of some help themselves lol
    I am fairly certain that UMA is not available for Rogers 9700. I remember seeing lots of compliant threads when the 9700 first came to Rogers about not supporting UMA. You may want to do a search for 9700 Rogers UMA.
    Last edited by perkyaim99; 05-18-10 at 05:15 PM.
    05-18-10 05:05 PM
    no talkspot or uma avail on 9700 from ROGERS. You can go to eng screen and enable it when you need to us it its 2 clicks away.
    05-18-10 05:07 PM
    so took 312 advice and called rogers tech support he informed me that if i were to use att 9700 software on my phone it would enable the uma optin on my rogers 9700. so the next question is where do i find this software
    05-25-10 06:52 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD