Hello guys, after pulling together a bunch of outdated tutorials I finally got my 9700 to tether to att's network. Here is how to do it (Posting via BB modem).

This tutorial is via USB, but for Bluetooth, it's the same.
    1. Make sure BB is connect to PC and that it shows up under Desktop Manager. PIN should be showing.
    2. Keep Desktop Manager Open.

Add Modem:
    1. Control Panel>Network Connections>Create a new connection
    2 .Connect to Internet, Click Next
    3. Setup my connection manually, Next
    4. Connect using Dial up Modem, Next
    5. ISP Name: "Blackberry USB Modem" or whatever you want, Next
    6. Phone Number: *99# Next
    7. User Name: [email protected]
    Password: CINGULAR1
    UNCHECK ALL BOXES, Next
    8. Finish

Add Modem Initiation Command:
    1. Control Panel>Phone and Modem
    2. Select the modem, should be called "Standard Model" connected to COM8 or a different COM.
    3. Click Properties
    4. Click Advanced TAB
    5. Put in AT+CGDCONT=1, "IP", "WAP.CINGULAR"
    6. OK all boxes

Go to Network Connections and double click on the modem you just created and BOOM you are online. Don't rack up a $22k bill...
    12-20-09 11:05 PM
    how about you open DM 5.0 and click on the IP modem icon BOOM you're online without having to mess around with settings and modem init commands
    12-20-09 11:11 PM
    how about you open DM 5.0 and click on the IP modem icon BOOM you're online without having to mess around with settings and modem init commands
    I don't see an IP Modem icon.
    12-20-09 11:34 PM
    I don't see an IP Modem icon.
    upgrade to DM 5.0.1
    12-20-09 11:47 PM
    I am, I only see 5 icons.
    12-20-09 11:49 PM
    bump for you!
    12-21-09 01:08 PM
    i have it on mine, try downloading from BB website.
    12-22-09 11:43 AM
    well this will be useful for someone
    12-22-09 11:44 AM
    The IP Modem button is carrier specific but you can make it appear. This worked with the original OS (.296 I think) from ATT. The config file that I had to alter was here: C:\Users\Jason\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry. I am using Windows 7 just for reference. Find your carrier in this file and change enabled="false" to enabled="true". Also, to get mine to work, in that same .xml file I had to change isp.cingular to wap.cingular
    Last edited by sforza; 12-22-09 at 01:00 PM.
    12-22-09 12:39 PM
    Does anyone know the modem command, dial-up #, username and password for the 9700 on Bell Mobility in Canada?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-09 09:57 PM
    I had to nothing but flip the carrier (false to true) in the config file and go from wap to isp...

12-31-09 10:02 PM
    Does anyone know if this method will work with the 8900?
    01-01-10 06:58 PM
    Wow, that's awesome. Worked like a charm. Thanks!
    01-02-10 01:54 AM
    The IP Modem button is carrier specific but you can make it appear. This worked with the original OS (.296 I think) from ATT. The config file that I had to alter was here: C:\Users\Jason\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry. I am using Windows 7 just for reference. Find your carrier in this file and change enabled="false" to enabled="true". Also, to get mine to work, in that same .xml file I had to change isp.cingular to wap.cingular
    This didn't work for me, though I'm running .423 (Bell).
    01-02-10 01:59 AM
    do you have to pay the tethering service fee or whatever to do this
    01-02-10 02:25 AM
    Yeah I was wondering the same thing, I dont want to have all kinds of data charges on my bill.
    01-02-10 03:20 AM
    wanted to know if there was a way i cud use the bb internet and avoid payin the data charges
    01-02-10 03:52 AM
    I've been tethering like this for ages and I was never charged an extra penny.

01-02-10 07:15 AM
    AT&T has a Blackberry data plan with unlimited data, and also a Blackberry data with tethering plan with 5G / month. The tethering option doubles the monthly cost - at least in my area. So - if you tether and don't have the tethering plan you are subject to data charges - and I am told they can tell if your data usage is from tethering.

That said, every AT&T rep that I have talked to and asked this specific question of has said that as long as you don't go hog wild with tethering data usage, they won't do anything. My personal experience supports this but this is something "un-official" and could change at any time.

In other words - if you're going to tether on AT&T and don't have the tethering plan you're doing so at your own risk.
    01-02-10 08:42 AM
    It's also possible to tether on windows Vista through BlueTooth, I do it all the time.
    01-02-10 08:59 AM
    Does anyone know the modem command, dial-up #, username and password for the 9700 on Bell Mobility in Canada?
    Bump for my question.
    01-05-10 02:29 PM
    Just spoke with a CSR rep from Bell about this. They say that it isn't a good idea to do this as it will cost you a LOT they say. I told them that I will simply cancel my actual 30 days contract and stick with Rogers as this is included in my 500mb data plan on Rogers (Telus is offering the same thing now). Than he told me that Bell is doing the same thing but that your laptop WILL use more than 500mb if you do this and this is were you will get charged a LOT more. Anyway, I told him to stop worrying and that I will manage to stay inside the 500mb (which has always been the case with my Rogers plan) and to transfer me to a technical rep for some help on setting this up on my laptop.

The tech told me that tethering through dialup networking isn't working. The only way to get this to work is using Blackberry Desktop Manager, and it ain't garanteed it will work, it might be blocked he said. He also told me that this isn't supported, so they won't help me past these information. My guess is that they want to sell those "Rocket" USB key modem, which would bring them another tie to your wallet. The CSR actually tried to sell me that key.

I guess I'll stick with Rogers.
    01-28-10 01:00 PM
    Just spoke with a CSR rep from Bell about this. They say that it isn't a good idea to do this as it will cost you a LOT they say. I told them that I will simply cancel my actual 30 days contract and stick with Rogers as this is included in my 500mb data plan on Rogers (Telus is offering the same thing now). Than he told me that Bell is doing the same thing but that your laptop WILL use more than 500mb if you do this and this is were you will get charged a LOT more. Anyway, I told him to stop worrying and that I will manage to stay inside the 500mb (which has always been the case with my Rogers plan) and to transfer me to a technical rep for some help on setting this up on my laptop.

The tech told me that tethering through dialup networking isn't working. The only way to get this to work is using Blackberry Desktop Manager, and it ain't garanteed it will work, it might be blocked he said. He also told me that this isn't supported, so they won't help me past these information. My guess is that they want to sell those "Rocket" USB key modem, which would bring them another tie to your wallet. The CSR actually tried to sell me that key.

I guess I'll stick with Rogers.
    are you saying rogers is cool with tethering as long as you stay within your data constraints?
    01-28-10 09:38 PM
    So I never really bothered with tethering but this is pretty cool.
    01-28-10 11:16 PM
    So if I use the "IP Modem" function, will I be charged a tethering fee from AT&T?
    01-29-10 11:48 AM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD