I have a Storm 2 recently purchased in America. I'm now in Taiwan and will be for the new 6-9 months. A couple questions:

1. Taiwan Mobile sells this phone. Does this mean I can just unlock the phone and then stick one of their sim cards and expect my phone to work?
    2. I'm currently with the phone company Far East One here. I'd like to stay with them if possible. If I unlock the phone using an unlock code, can I just stick a FarEastOne sim card in and expect my service to work like it did with my old phone?

Thanks
    12-17-09 12:30 AM
    IMO yes to both questions. Anyone think otherwise?
    12-17-09 12:56 AM
    I am in Pakistan, using unlocked Verizon Storm 9550, thorugh a GSM SIM of Local GSM operator
    12-17-09 01:35 AM
    If you unlock the phone, you should be able to use it on any GSM network. However, the data service may be a different story. You would need the service books from your provider.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-09 02:15 AM
    I'm sorry, but what's a service book? Do you mean I need to ask them if it's possible for me to get data service?
    12-17-09 04:12 AM
    Once you have BB services activated, you can log into your account (e.g mtnl.blackberry.com) and "resend" service books to get up and running.
    12-17-09 04:17 AM
    I have a Storm 2 recently purchased in America. I'm now in Taiwan and will be for the new 6-9 months. A couple questions:

1. Taiwan Mobile sells this phone. Does this mean I can just unlock the phone and then stick one of their sim cards and expect my phone to work?
    2. I'm currently with the phone company Far East One here. I'd like to stay with them if possible. If I unlock the phone using an unlock code, can I just stick a FarEastOne sim card in and expect my service to work like it did with my old phone?

Thanks
    IMO yes to both questions. Anyone think otherwise?
    I agree with dilipc- if Taiwan mobile already sells the S2, then they have the service books necessary for you to have functional data. All you would need to do is unlock the S2 and then put their SIM in. You would also need to subscribe to a data plan apart from the voice plan to be able to receive their service books and then have data.

As for your second q, did Far East One have CDMA where you were before and now have GSM in Taiwan? If yes, then you will need to unlock and then should be able to use it on their network.
    12-17-09 09:02 AM
    I'm sorry, but what's a service book? Do you mean I need to ask them if it's possible for me to get data service?
    Each service book is a software code file which has a setting for your blackberry device. One service book will be for your email, one for instant messaging and one for the browser, calendar and so on. A service book contains information that configures how the RIM BlackBerry device will interact with the BlackBerry Infrastructure. It also enables specific services for the RIM BlackBerry device. The selection of service books on the RIM BlackBerry device depends upon the features provided by your service provider.

More detail here:

FAQ: Explanation Of Each BlackBerry Service Book Type | BerryReview.com �
    12-17-09 09:10 AM
    I agree with dilipc- if Taiwan mobile already sells the S2, then they have the service books necessary for you to have functional data. All you would need to do is unlock the S2 and then put their SIM in. You would also need to subscribe to a data plan apart from the voice plan to be able to receive their service books and then have data.

As for your second q, did Far East One have CDMA where you were before and now have GSM in Taiwan? If yes, then you will need to unlock and then should be able to use it on their network.
    Thanks for the reply everyone.

Kazmi, I'm originally from Seattle but this phone is completely new and I haven't ever used it there. My father brought it back from the states and said he didn't activate the phone to any phone number yet. To answer your question, I believe that FarEastOne uses GSM. I got my current phone from my grandparents, and I'm not sure if they used CDMA before or not. Is it important enough that I should ask them?

Thanks a bunch guys
    12-17-09 10:18 AM
    well for one, you will need to get the phone unlocked so that you can use it on the GSM bands overseas..

second, if you plan to use it on FEO's network, you will need service books - might be best to ask the network's customer service if you can use the S2 on their network (or you will need service books from somewhere)..if they support BB's, you *should* be OK. Remember though, you will need a data plan.

Once unlocked, if you use Taiwan mobile, it's a matter of activating data and then putting in their SIM card - the S2 should be good to go.
    12-17-09 10:50 AM
    I see. Are you allowed to make any recommendations on websites I should visit to get an unlock code? I was going to call my current carrier up and ask for a free code since I'm overseas, but for various reasons I'm just going to pay for an unlock code.

Thanks again Kazmi, your explanations are very clear and helpful
    12-17-09 11:18 AM
    WHats the telephone number for verizon international....
    12-17-09 01:43 PM
    I see. Are you allowed to make any recommendations on websites I should visit to get an unlock code? I was going to call my current carrier up and ask for a free code since I'm overseas, but for various reasons I'm just going to pay for an unlock code.

Thanks again Kazmi, your explanations are very clear and helpful
    That would have been my first recommendation - to call the original carrier and get the unlock code since it's free! If you do want to use a site, I have seen cellunlock been advertised here (but have never used them myself) - CellUnlock.net Wireless-Your #1 Source for Accessories, Parts, Repairs, Service & Unlocking!

oh and you are most welcome

WHats the telephone number for verizon international....
    where will you be calling from? their main 800 number can get you to the main CS: (800) 922-0204
    12-17-09 02:38 PM
    yes shouldn't have any issues at all. If you decide you want to unlock it let us know and we will get you going.
    12-18-09 12:22 AM
    what about turkish networks?? vodafone or turkcell...
    12-20-09 01:55 PM
    Still need BIS
    12-20-09 02:05 PM
    hey, so I sent in an order a few hours ago but I haven't gotten anything yet. Checked spam mail and everything, tried your aim, but haven't heard anything back yet. any ideas?
    CarrierUnlock - About Us - (Powered by CubeCart)

"Please expect slower than usual delivery times during the weekends."

Whats your order #?
    12-20-09 02:06 PM
    I am using 9550 unlocked in India on AirTel network. It is working without any problem so far but default phone number something like (3478862575) gets displayed and I am not able to replace with mine current number.
    Is there any way to change it?
    12-28-09 10:50 PM
    I am using 9550 unlocked in India on AirTel network. It is working without any problem so far but default phone number something like (3478862575) gets displayed and I am not able to replace with mine current number.
    Is there any way to change it?

Removing "Activation Required" on the screen or changing the Phone Number:
    1) On the main screen of the phone, press Call (Green Button)
    2) Type on the screen: ##000000
    3) Press the Call Button
    4) For the Mobile Directory Number, put in your phone number in there
    5) After you have done that, press the Menu Button to Save the options and the phone will automatically restart
    6) After restarting, it will be updated
    This should work for you. Tell me how it goes?
    12-28-09 11:04 PM
    I am in Pakistan, using unlocked Verizon Storm 9550, thorugh a GSM SIM of Local GSM operator
    Do u face voice loss during connected calls? Or drop calls? I am using this in Pakistan (Mobilink gsm) and continuously facing these issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-09 07:10 AM
    This should work for you. Tell me how it goes?
    I am using 9550 on GSM network in India and have been noticing that after after phone call, screen gets freezed for some time and then it becomes normal. Do you all experience same problem. I tried to wipe system and installed only OS without any third party applications but still problem persists. Further, I observed when phone call used to be longer, then freezing in more frequent. does it happen because of hotness of screen? Screen sensitivity is funtastic otherwise.
    03-15-10 02:55 AM
    Install the latest leaked OS (.451). These problems would disappear, IMO.
    PS: Were you able to remove the 'activation required' window?
    03-15-10 04:17 AM
    I just returned from London & had to call VZ's Int'l roaming department to make my Storm 2 work. 908.559.4899 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************908.5 59.4899******end_of_the_skype_highlighting

I also changed the mobile network options on my phone.
    1. Data Service - While Roaming - ON
    2. Network Selection Mode - Automatic
    3. Network Technology - Global

That did it for me. Not sure about using unlocked phones.
    03-15-10 05:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD