For those that are having trouble getting their os loaded on their phones. This is what works for ME and i have never had a issue. I do not take credit for any of the info here. Please if you don't like the guide, please don't bash it and move on. Please keep it clean. If someone has anything to add, let me know! I would be happy to add anything that i forgot or is a better way.

When you upgrade your os it will backup and restore your apps and data for you automatically if you tell it to. If it fails tho you always want to have a backup of everything. So i recommend backing up your data and apps prior to installing os just in case

Make sure that Desktop manager is installed. You can get it here Desktop manager is NOT used in this guide to install/upgrade your os, but just to make your backups

Uninstall any other os installed. control panel> add/remove programs or windows 7 it is control panel> programs & features

BACKUP DATA (i like to backup everything just in case)

1. Plug your blackberry in via usb to pc and start desktop manager

2. Click on backup and restore

3. Click on backup

4. Save to desktop or docs

BACKUP APPS

1. Go to main menu on desktop manager

2. Click on device switch wizard

3. Click switch blackberry devices

4. Click start under switch blackberry devices

5. Make sure that only third party applications is checked and click next

6. Wait for it to finish backing up. DO NOT CLOSE IT

7. Search your computer files and folders for your pin number. Make sure that you search all hidden files and folders

Vista and win 7 go to windows explorer > tools> folder options> click the view tab> and select show hidden files and folders.

On my pc the backup is always located at:

C:\Users\YOURNAMEHERE\AppData\Local\Temp\YOURPIN#H ERE

8. Copy this file somewhere on your pc docs or desktop

9. Now go back to desktop manager and hit cancel and close

INSTALLING OS

If you want to wipe first, down load BBSAK from here. Install, run and wipe phone. Then come back here. You don't have to wipe because the loader wizard does it for you.

1. Download and install 5.0.0.517 to your pc. It can be found here

2. After install it will prompt you to restart your pc even tho most people have not seen this before. It happened to me and i didn't restart and loader canceled halfway thru.

3. After pc starts back up. Delete the vendor file. It is located here if you have a 32bit pc

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Vendor

and here if you have a 64bit pc

C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Vendor

If you are unsure if it is 64 or 32 you will not have a program files (x86) or you can right click on computer and select properties

4. Now go to

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\loader.exe (32bit)

C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\loader.exe (64bit)

5. Right click on the loader.exe file and run as administrator (vista and win 7 only)

6. Click yes when the uac prompt comes up

7. The Loader wizard will come up, just click next

8. Your connection with pin will come up, click next

9. It will now show you the install/upgrade options

10. Check what you want and don't and click next

11. It will now show you what it will change on the phone. (mine does not show much because i have already done this) click next. You can then click advanced and select it to backup phone and restore automatically.

12. Now just sit back and wait. Your bb will restart and get stuck on the progress bar forever. (don't panic this is normal) and don't unplug from pc until the loader wizard say its finished.

If your phone is now updated but your apps or data is missing, follow the steps below to get your backups you made earlier loaded

RESTORE APPS

1. Plug your blackberry in and start desktop manager

2. Click on application loader

3. Click add/remove applications

4. Click the browse button and browse for the backup file you made earlier. Click on the file that is named your pin. (exp 6509CGS.alx)

5. It will now show you all the apps that you backed up. Just check what you want and un check what you don't want

6. Click next and it will show you what will be added

7. Click finish and that's it! Your phone might restart

RESTORE DATA

2. Click on backup and restore (IF YOU WANT TO ONLY RESTORE SOME DATABASES, SCROLL DOWN)

3. Click on restore and find your backup of your data that you made earlier and select it. It should look something like Backup-(2010-03-18).ipd. It should be located in your documents or desktop

4. You will then get a pop up telling you that you are about to replace the current data on your device, do you wish to continue. Click yes

5. It will take a few minutes to complete and then it will say "the device was successfully restored" and just click OK and that's it

RESTORE DATA (ADVANCED) If you only want to restore some databases

2. Click on backup and restore

3. Click on advanced

4. In the left column click the file tab and find your backup of your data that you made earlier and select it. It should look something like Backup-(2010-03-18).ipd. It should be located in your documents or desktop

5. Now select the items that you want to restore from the left column. You can crtl+click. After you have everything that you want, click the right arrow to transfer to device

6. You will then get a pop up telling you that you are about to replace the current data on your device, do you wish to continue. Click yes

7. It will take a few minutes to complete and then it will say "the device was successfully restored" and just click OK and that's it
    Last edited by hydroz_23; 03-19-10 at 10:50 AM.
    03-18-10 09:46 PM
    Thanks! I just asked for help and this magically appeared. Going to give it a shot now.
    03-18-10 09:48 PM
    why run advanced backup if you are selecting everything??
    03-18-10 09:49 PM
    why run advanced backup if you are selecting everything??
    Because i messed up. Edited post
    03-18-10 10:06 PM
    I am having trouble locating my PIN folder. It's not where I should be finding it. I am running Vista.
    03-18-10 10:23 PM
    You should try ALT+PrtScr.
    03-19-10 02:05 AM
    Nice.... Good job

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-10 02:22 AM
    ok so i was a bit stuck here, after backing up my device.
    7. Search your computer files and folders for your pin number. Vista and win 7 go to explorer > tools> folder options> click the view tab and select show hidden files and folders. On my pc the backup is always located at C:\Users\YOURNAMEHERE\AppData\Local\Temp\YOURPIN#H ERE

with this instruction here, i am on xp, where do i go from here? or how do i find this.
    03-19-10 03:32 AM
    7. Search your computer files and folders for your pin number. Vista and win 7 go to explorer > tools> folder options> click the view tab and select show hidden files and folders. On my pc the backup is always located at C:\Users\YOURNAMEHERE\AppData\Local\Temp\YOURPIN#H ERE

with this instruction here, i am on xp, where do i go from here? or how do i find this.

I couldn't figure this out either and just skipped it. It works.
    03-19-10 06:58 AM
    I couldn't figure this out either and just skipped it. It works.

Just search all files and folders on your pc for your pin# of your blackberry
    03-19-10 09:00 AM
    Just search all files and folders on your pc for your pin# of your blackberry
    Like I said, I wasn't able to find it even with hidden files selected. Never have done this before with any other OS. It worked fine without doing it.
    03-19-10 09:05 AM
    Like I said, I wasn't able to find it even with hidden files selected. Never have done this before with any other OS. It worked fine without doing it.
    Well that is just so that you have a backup of your apps. But the loader will backup and restore as well.
    03-19-10 09:10 AM
    Well that is just so that you have a backup of your apps. But the loader will backup and restore as well.
    Do you think it would have shown up if I searched for it before doing the back up? I also never did the save all before using the wizard on an install before. I also like to try different methods posted by people to see if I like it to use in the future. Different strokes and all. It was very kind of you to post photos. I think this helps alot since many tutorials posted by users don't always use the exact terminiology and many folks get lost in the translation.
    03-19-10 09:19 AM
    Does the steps above find the backup apps, or is that an extra step? I dont see a step where I would point to the apps that were backed up to restore them.
    03-19-10 09:19 AM
    the folder is hidden i think also therefore you would have to check hidden files to maybe. I dont remember for sure as i created a shortcut that i can click on to go to the folder whenever i need
    03-19-10 09:20 AM
    Does the steps above find the backup apps, or is that an extra step? I dont see a step where I would point to the apps that were backed up to restore them.
    You would just launch dm>application loader> and browse for the folder you saved named "your pin" exp. 61254abc and open it and click on the alx file named "your pin.alx"
    03-20-10 11:04 PM
    Did this and now the desktop manager won't connect to my Storm. Means I can't reimport my databases. Is there another way to do this?
    03-21-10 11:24 AM
    Did this and now the desktop manager won't connect to my Storm. Means I can't reimport my databases. Is there another way to do this?
    Did you reenable the mass storage mode?
    03-21-10 12:45 PM
    I don't know what was happening, but when I reconnected it to check Mass Storage Mode, it connected right away. Thanks anyway!
    03-21-10 03:20 PM
    I don't know what was happening, but when I reconnected it to check Mass Storage Mode, it connected right away. Thanks anyway!
    I had that problem with bbsak
    03-22-10 08:56 AM
    I did just the basic OS upgrade, nothing with reloading databases, and everything worked perfectly. Just wanted to thank the OP for giving a great walk-thru on doing this!!!
    03-22-10 10:37 AM
    I did just the basic OS upgrade, nothing with reloading databases, and everything worked perfectly. Just wanted to thank the OP for giving a great walk-thru on doing this!!!
    Thanks! Glad you got it working. Backing up and restoring is "just in case"
    03-22-10 07:10 PM
    lmfaooo this works perfectly the only thing i was doing wrong and couldn't get it to update was i was normally double clicking it instead of running as admin on the app loader wtf who knew haha thanks.
    03-23-10 12:37 AM
    Great Walkthrough. When i was restoring using loader.exe by BB froze when trying to import a pending group that was waiting on confirmation. I had to pull my BB out and restore using DM. All was fine after that.
    03-23-10 09:47 AM
    I am stuck in finding the port. It asks me for pin on the phone for media transfer protocol and then the pin is asked on the pc but then nothing happens.
    03-23-10 10:21 AM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD