Has anybody got the Storm 2 to share or act as Wireless router to share the WiFi to a Laptop, or anything that needs WiFi to access the internet? I know that Window Mobile, and S60 OS has a program to convert the mobile phone to become basically a MiFi.
    11-01-09 02:21 PM
    I'm also interested in this. Since I run Windows 7, my buddy's WiFi router won't let me connect. His router won't support Windows 7 but it supports my Storm 2. I have tethered with my Storm 1 on Verizon before and know how to set it up so could I do the same and just turn off the VZW connection and only use WiFi so it's not illegal?
    11-01-09 03:10 PM
    I am also interested. I had WIFI ICN on my XV6800 on VZW and it worked like a charm. I hope they develop an app soon.
    11-13-09 11:01 AM
    There isn't currently any way of making the Storm 2 share it's Wifi. The excerpt below is from RIM and Verizon's Storm 2 specs and the part in BOLD about AdHoc is why it won't [currently] work. Verizon doesn't want anything cutting into their MiFi and Tethering profits so the device sharing (AdHoc) part of the Storm 2's Wifi has been dissabled. Obviously the hardware and software can support it or dissabling it wouldn't be necessary. That said maybe one of our great software/tech guru's on here can figure a way to un-dissable it through software?

I hear that PDANet from PdaNet -- Use your BlackBerry as a USB Modem is a great tethering app. If you don't need warp speed their OTA Bluetooth app available at www.junefabric.com/bb works great too. Just be sure to read the setup instructions, making sure to disable the check box for "Dial Up Network" and turn on "Discoverable" on your Storm. When you are done tethering I recommend turning "Discoverable" back off.

Good Luck

Storm 2 Specs (Courtesty of Verizon/RIM)...
    Wi-FiOnly on BlackBerry Storm2 9520 and BlackBerry Storm2 9550:

802.11b/g enabled 802.11 infrastructure mode; ad-hoc mode is to
    be disabled

802.11d 802.11i including EAP-TLS, PEAP, EAP-TTLS/MS-CHAPv2, PEAPv0/MS-CHAPv2, PEAPv1/EAP-GTC
    11-13-09 01:12 PM
    So are you saying I can tether my S2 to my PC and use the WiFi in the S2 as the internet connection in my PC??
    11-13-09 01:36 PM
    So are you saying I can tether my S2 to my PC and use the WiFi in the S2 as the internet connection in my PC??
    I been wondering the same thing!! I thought there has got to he a way to teather this to my laptop especially that I pay $110 wit Verizon its new to my city so I have that wonderful 450 min only plan and don't know another Verizon customer yet! Lol so that sucks for me! Most everyone here is wrapped up tight in an Att contract so with that being said DO YoU ThinK I Wanna PaY ExtrA 60 bucks after leaving Att for Verizon for the Storm!! Now Storm2 yep that's right folks I'm a true blue crackberry head I gave back the Iphone (I'm glad cuz 30 days later the S came out) for Blackberry!!! Whop hoo it Rules BB

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-09 02:11 PM
    I know if you get the Enterprise internet service from VZW, it includes tethering... But if you dont, you have to pay another $30 a month for it...
    11-13-09 02:12 PM
    But that only uses the 3G network, not wifi.
    11-13-09 02:13 PM
    PDANet and Tetherberry are two different applications that allow either Bluetooth or USB tethering to your Storm or other BlackBerry phones. Check their websites or search this site for more information on Tethering with them.

As far as 3G, that's the data service the phone uses to connect to Verizon's network and WiFi is a local area network method of connecting your phone to HotSpots such as those provided by local coffee shops and book stores or a wireless router in your home. The Wifi in the Storm 2 currently only allows you to use it for surfing the web on your phone, not connecting it to your laptop pc for tethering. Wifi 'typically' provides better speeds than 3G for web browsing so as far as the wifi in your phone you can use it while at home or a hotspot for a speed boost. It is not possible to use Wifi to tether the Storm 2 at this point. If you want to tether to your laptop you will need to either pay verizon their monthly tethering fee try one of the alternate tethering application mentioned above.
    Last edited by Wupatki; 11-14-09 at 11:25 PM.
    11-14-09 11:20 PM
    sounds like it would be expensive..
    11-14-09 11:25 PM
    I used to tether my WinMobile phone to my laptop while traveling to access/answer emails and avoid gouging hotel access costs. With the improvement in the ability to access/answer emails on the phone, I'm wondering whether I'll need it. I would like to hear of experience with either tetherberry or PDANet specifically on the Storm 2.
    11-15-09 05:28 AM
    I been wondering the same thing!! I thought there has got to he a way to teather this to my laptop especially that I pay $110 wit Verizon its new to my city so I have that wonderful 450 min only plan and don't know another Verizon customer yet! Lol so that sucks for me! Most everyone here is wrapped up tight in an Att contract so with that being said DO YoU ThinK I Wanna PaY ExtrA 60 bucks after leaving Att for Verizon for the Storm!! Now Storm2 yep that's right folks I'm a true blue crackberry head I gave back the Iphone (I'm glad cuz 30 days later the S came out) for Blackberry!!! Whop hoo it Rules BB

I'm not sure yeti, I'm still researching it I got it to work one time but after that I have not been ably too but as soon as I figure out. The best way I will be happy to help

01-11-10 01:18 PM
    Has anybody got the Storm 2 to share or act as Wireless router to share the WiFi to a Laptop, or anything that needs WiFi to access the internet? I know that Window Mobile, and S60 OS has a program to convert the mobile phone to become basically a MiFi.
    I would love to find out exactly how to do this step by step directions if you can can you send a link or more about how to do this. I would be so appreciated. Thanks klynnz. Kk my pin is. 30FFB8E3
    Add me if you wish where I live DSl. Stops two houses before my house so all I have to learns this tethering by modem or ubs or bluetooth and also how can I use my wi connection from BB storm to my laptop ! IF Anyone who could answer these questions I sure would be grateful! thanks so much *PIN ME* if you can help me out thanks *PIN Me* 30FFB8E3

01-11-10 01:47 PM
    Not yet but please message me if you find out pretty please. 30FFB8E3

01-11-10 01:51 PM
    1. As previously noted when in 3g area use Tetherberry (now Tether) to connect. Very useful decent speeds.
    2. In wifi area - most laptops have built in wifi, but if it doesn't most wireless add-on cards are dirt cheap. Less than $40one time payment and will provide you with wifi access in all hotspots.
    01-11-10 02:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD