Is this a typical time period for RIM to release a second generation phone?

I have a Storm 1 - 3rd swap. This is my first blackberry and I wouldn't go any other way, I love the BB system. However, I now believe their first touch device could have been much better. The ones that work properly are great. A friend of mine got it the day it was released, and the surepress screen works flawlessly on hers and still does. I have to resort to something under the battery to get better screen performance.

What I was wondering is if the Storm 1 actually had the Storm 2's screen technology, would they be releasing a 2nd gen so soon? And will there be a Storm 3 a year from now?
    10-07-09 06:52 AM
    It has a different type of screen tech (as far as the clicking is concerned) that seems to be a huge improvement. Also, the build quality seems to have been improved. Not to mention the fact that THIS time they seem to have a working OS with only a fraction of the bugs that plagued the original release.

Much of this is deduced from the videos/reviews made by people like Sal and the tear downs from folks like Britishturbo.

I think this time around it will be a much improved device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-09 07:06 AM
    Personaly i dont think it was soon enough with all the BS that went on with the S1. Now if the S2 is everything its cracked up to be and they release the S3 a year from the release date of the S2 imo would be foolish. If there is even a S3 lol. Because they should take thier time with the S3 and make a really rocking phone to blow all other touch phones away.
    10-07-09 09:29 AM
    storm 2 is the fixed storm 1..... since storm1 was rushed out due to anxiety and tryin to be the "iphone killer". Since it failed storm 2 is hopefully going to be the Tru Iphone Killer
    10-07-09 10:04 AM
    storm 2 is the fixed storm 1..... since storm1 was rushed out due to anxiety and tryin to be the "iphone killer". Since it failed storm 2 is hopefully going to be the Tru Iphone Killer
    iPhone killer?? NOT! IF the iPhone ever comes to Verizon, it's game OVER for the competition.
    10-07-09 10:13 AM
    Yes game over if iphone comes to big red. I am a huge berryfan but rim knows nothing about touch screens

10-07-09 10:27 AM
    If the iphone goes to vzw its gonna fail,the reason being is vzw is to expensive especially compared to att,and I honestly hope the iphone gets off att it clogs up my damn network.and with the way vzw butchers their phones into crap I mean the s1 no wifi? U think rim wanted that? No! Its a world phone that's supposed to have all the world phone features.so imo I would love to see the iphone go to vzw,but from what I'm hearing from ppl I know its not so all u mac feinds need to just keep talking to steve jobs and try to get him to do so and since u just entered the new age by getting mms like a week or two ago u need to get on his *** and tell him to quit screwing with u guys and having u up grade to a new phone everytime they add new features like he knows u sheep I mean consumers will do,u see the blackberry no matter what model is an iphone killer because plain and simple its proven! Also the iphone is nothing more then flash owned one thought it was over rated its a valley girls def of a smart phone they see daddy with a blackberry and see how he conducts everything from it and claim I want this one wake up ppl the storm two is coming a long ways even if its not all flashy. Rim is looking for efficacy not a temporary consumer who's gonna jump ship to the next big thing

10-07-09 11:13 AM
    The iPhone is a very good phone as long as you can get by typing on the screen. It's doable just not as good as a BB keyboard, that's a given (and don't start the Iphone flame wars people, you know that is true). The problem with the iPhone is simple: ATTs crappy 3g network. It sucks and no matter what their cute tv ads say it's seriously flawed in most places. Their 2G network is actually better. And they ain't cheap.
    Vzn is a different animal. Their network is excellent. They just have crappy phones. The best phone they now have is the Tour. The Storm was a disaster for several reasons. First they released it with a buggy OS. Why? Because they just had to get that critical holiday business where about 50% of the gadgets get bought in the 4th quarter. The OS they had on the phones had a security flaw so they yanked the phones off the shelves at the last minute, flashed them with the crappy OS and pissed people off to no end. People were expecting something better than the iPhone on a better network and they get this crashy trashy phone that pissed them off and they sent back in droves. The hyped click screen thing was just that: hype. There's really no good reason for it, it's still a touch screen typer like the iPhone. It's hard to recover from that botched launch in the days of the internet. People get their new $200 phones and can't use them right and get frustrated and go straight back to their Razrs. Let's hope this S2 is a lot better and they learned their lesson. The perfect storm would be the iPhone on Verizon's network. That would work just fine.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 10-07-09 at 11:37 AM.
    10-07-09 11:34 AM
    drdom23: Do you honestly think people are going to read your paragraph and A) understand it, B) read it through to the end? Seriously, read this sentence aloud: "Also the iphone is nothing more then flash owned one thought it was over rated its a valley girls def of a smart phone they see daddy with a blackberry and see how he conducts everything from it and claim I want this one wake up ppl the storm two is coming a long ways even if its not all flashy." Do you know how commas and periods etc. work? You mock with "valley girl" and write like a... valley girl! Maybe you were just being ironic.
    10-07-09 11:37 AM
    Did someone just suggest that att is better priced than verizon? Their priced are actually almost identical. Now tmobile & sprint are another story

10-07-09 11:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD