I am one of the few people who never uses BB Messenger, I guess. Is there any way to either remove it from the phone or at least prevent it from running in the background all the time? It seems to have changed to a core application, so I'm not sure it can be removed.

Thanks!
    Last edited by StormDiva; 04-06-10 at 08:13 PM. Reason: add Messenger
    04-06-10 04:34 PM
    Options - Applications - at top select "add-on" - highlight BBM - click the red X at bottom

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-10 04:38 PM
    BBM (Messenger) is a core application and there is no option to remove it in the Applications screen that I can see. Any other thoughts?

04-06-10 04:56 PM
    BBM is add-on. Just change the drop-down to add-on highlight BBM and delete
    04-06-10 05:00 PM
    I should have clarified - BB Messenger, not maps. Messenger seems to be a core app, not add-on. Not sure I can delete it but there should be some way to keep it from running in the background, right?

04-06-10 05:20 PM
    Unless something changed in 607 ( I didn't load it) BB Messenger is always listed as a add-on not a core app. That allows you to delete it from the apps screen. I thought I saw people deleting it because of the keyboard bug but the link for BBSAK is below

RIMGeeks.com • View topic - [Beta][10/25/09] BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife v1.7.0
    Last edited by rts3k; 04-06-10 at 05:28 PM.
    04-06-10 05:23 PM
    Even though I'm using a 9700, I also couldn't uninstall BBM. So I "re-installed" it from the Blackberry site and it then allowed me to uninstall the app. Maybe it will work the same for you.
    04-06-10 05:25 PM
    rts, yes I think this is a change in the new OS.
    Haggisgirl, can you explain a little more how you did that?

04-06-10 05:27 PM
    They must be tired of us manipulating their stuff.
    04-06-10 05:32 PM
    Even though I'm using a 9700, I also couldn't uninstall BBM. So I "re-installed" it from the Blackberry site and it then allowed me to uninstall the app. Maybe it will work the same for you.
    this is a good workaround if it is not in the "add-on" section
    04-06-10 05:35 PM
    On my 9700, I went into my browser bookmarks and went to the Blackberry site, mobile.blackberry.com, selected BBM to download, when it asked if I wanted to overwrite the current version, I said yes. After installation, it allowed me to delete BBM.
    04-06-10 05:37 PM
    BBM is now a core App. I got rid of it by finding the cods, & taking them out of the Java folder. Then reinstalling with the loader.
    04-06-10 06:07 PM
    another way to do it is to:

edit the Blackberry.alx and search for
    net_rim_bb_qm_peer.cod

you will see a few lines above it:
    Code:
    <required>true</required>
                <directory SystemSize="normal">Java</directory>
                <fileset SystemSize="normal" Colour="True" Java="1.0">
                    <files>
                        net_rim_bb_qm_peer.cod
    change the bolded part to:
    <required>false</required>

Install your OS with Loader/DM and it should now be uncheckable

Note: this can be done to nearly all (if not all) the apps in the AppLoader, although making other apps removable (ie. Browser, Phone, E-Mail Set-up Application) and then removing them can and will screw up your OS load
    Last edited by lyricidal; 04-06-10 at 06:32 PM.
    04-06-10 06:29 PM
    This works. I'm wondering if BB is going to push it back in though after I've removed it...
    04-06-10 07:22 PM
    This works. I'm wondering if BB is going to push it back in though after I've removed it...
    It was a core app in beta OS 593 that I've been running for several days without it reappearing.

04-06-10 07:40 PM
    another way to do it is to:

edit the Blackberry.alx and search for
    net_rim_bb_qm_peer.cod

you will see a few lines above it:
    Code:
    <required>true</required>
                <directory SystemSize="normal">Java</directory>
                <fileset SystemSize="normal" Colour="True" Java="1.0">
                    <files>
                        net_rim_bb_qm_peer.cod
    change the bolded part to:
    <required>false</required>

Install your OS with Loader/DM and it should now be uncheckable

Note: this can be done to nearly all (if not all) the apps in the AppLoader, although making other apps removable (ie. Browser, Phone, E-Mail Set-up Application) and then removing them can and will screw up your OS load
    Excellent info! Thanks! I don't use BBM and noticed when I installed .607 last week that it was changed to a core app. I just removed the cod's using BBSAK.
    04-06-10 08:28 PM
    Success! I downloaded it from the website and it showed up as an add-on, so I could delete it. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll post again here if it's pushed back at some point, but I'm hoping this will stick.

04-06-10 08:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD