so far so good...no more dust inside the screen..cant wait to see the final product..
    07-16-09 02:02 AM
    ... hurry up RIM
    07-16-09 02:05 AM
    So here's the scoop on the screen, and why Kevin noticed that it had a 'click' when powered up.

About 2 years ago, when RIM was prototyping designs for the Storm, they looked into a really cool haptic feedback system. Apparently, this technology is an overlay over the touchscreen. What happens is that when an electrical signal is applied to this material, it raises up and stiffens. What RIM prototyped was basically a method to use this technology to create a set of "keys" on the touchscreen that would raise up whenever appropriate. The software can modify the buttons layout into any shape or number. Essentially, instead of having 1 large button like on the 9500/9530, you can have any number of smaller, "truer" buttons.

This was the tech that was originally destined for the Storm. My understanding is that there were a number of technical glitches (understandably, this is relatively innovative stuff) and that it was too expensive.

My guess is that RIM has brought the costs down and solved the problems to put it into the Storm 2. They may have accomplished this by simplifying their implementation, such that instead of many buttons like I described, it's one large button like the Storm 1. So SurePress is still here, but instead of the whole screen moving, it's one, controllable, layer.

Of course, only time will tell if I'm actually correct. But I'm willing to put money on it. :-D
    This sounds very interesting. I hope that if or when this technology is implemented each "key" in the long run will be reliable enough to rise to the occasion. I know, bad joke.
    Last edited by The BlackBerry Massacre; 07-16-09 at 07:16 AM.
    07-16-09 02:27 AM
    Please dont tease me wtih the ideas of having this phone in my possession...iphone...where?...oh this silly thing its just my Storm 2...nothing fancy about this except everything. This is seriously turning into one sexy phone. Im dying from the suspense I cant wait to use this baby no other phone will compare.
    07-16-09 03:59 AM
    I swear I've looked at these new pictures all night long while at work. If it doesn't make its way to tmo then verizon will have me as a new customer

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-09 05:12 AM
    Kev did such an awesome job, he might soon be approached to design them, using his PS skills and how the phone looks in his hand ("Golden Hand Standard")
    07-16-09 07:03 AM
    This is very interesting information about the new screen. Hard to imagine how this works. Hopefully it is rock solid and doesn't end up being another return nightmare for RIM/Verizon. I am planning on getting the new Storm 2 to replace my current Storm...but if it is this revolutionary I may wait a month or so before getting one to see what some of the other people think about it - and to make sure this new tech is reliable. Hopefully Kevin will give some new information on this tech soon. Evidently there are at least two people that have seen the phone on this thread based on the photos and others that are in the know. Keep sharing folks.
    07-16-09 07:42 AM
    Looking like its going to be an awesome phone. I'm on my 3rd storm and it's already acting up. Guess i'll tuff it out and when the S2 drops i'll raise some **** and get an early upgrade....
    07-16-09 07:55 AM
    Looks so sweet...really trying to hold out on buying any other phone until this comes out.
    07-16-09 08:32 AM
    You're killing me with those pictures. I want one so bad.... what do I have to do?
    I'm sure we can work something out... haha
    07-16-09 09:13 AM
    Hahahahahaha don't give kevin any ideas britishturbo!
    07-16-09 09:26 AM
    Hahahahahaha don't give kevin any ideas britishturbo!
    What makes ya think his even works?
    07-16-09 09:33 AM
    the virtual button theory where buttons could be felt on the screen sounds cool but it's not happening.

what is more likely the case are three things:
    1) there are a set of buttons included under the screen that only become active when the device is powered on.
    2) the click sound and feel of storm 1 has been refined such that the press is still there, but with out the audible click and buttony bound/rebound feel.
    3) rim made tighter tolerances on screen gap and screen movement to refine the touchscreen use. no screen sliding around like storm 1.

you all can dream big, but rim isn't going to put virtual button technology on a phone with a $200 price point.

but yes, the pictures look good. still not really excited about storm 1.2 aka storm 2....yet. if the guts are basically the same as storm 1 with wifi added and a small bump in memory then the pending hype might be lost on me. not saying i won't consider one, but i'll definitely try out the new os on storm 1 and see what's on the horizon for the "real" storm 2 before i jump ship.

right now it seems that wifi is the only thing that would really tempt me. memory management is really improving with some of the newer os so the memory bump may become more insignificant. we'll see though.
    07-16-09 09:45 AM
    One of the things I like the most about the look of this phone is its simple design. Very minimal, yet somehow has sex appeal.

Perfect example of how less can be more.
    07-16-09 10:04 AM
    So it doesn't look like there is a slide out keyboard. I'm not complaining but I thought RIM patented this concept years ago. I for one still miss a real keyboard but realize the thickness (and weight) this would add to the storm... Not sure if its worth it. Maybe I should just wait for the Qwerty + touch screen BB if its ever coming out. I like my storm 1 but type way to much for it too be my ideal phone. Very curious...
    07-16-09 10:12 AM
    i also hope the new storm fits the accessories for first storm. if a new dock or cases are required it will be a huge pia.
    07-16-09 10:12 AM
    the virtual button theory where buttons could be felt on the screen sounds cool but it's not happening.

what is more likely the case are three things:
    1) there are a set of buttons included under the screen that only become active when the device is powered on.
    2) the click sound and feel of storm 1 has been refined such that the press is still there, but with out the audible click and buttony bound/rebound feel.
    3) rim made tighter tolerances on screen gap and screen movement to refine the touchscreen use. no screen sliding around like storm 1.

you all can dream big, but rim isn't going to put virtual button technology on a phone with a $200 price point.

but yes, the pictures look good. still not really excited about storm 1.2 aka storm 2....yet. if the guts are basically the same as storm 1 with wifi added and a small bump in memory then the pending hype might be lost on me. not saying i won't consider one, but i'll definitely try out the new os on storm 1 and see what's on the horizon for the "real" storm 2 before i jump ship.

right now it seems that wifi is the only thing that would really tempt me. memory management is really improving with some of the newer os so the memory bump may become more insignificant. we'll see though.
    Sorry but the Storm 1 and Storm 2 do NOT use the same software... Not at all...

And yes that's a fact...
    07-16-09 10:16 AM
    One of the things I like the most about the look of this phone is its simple design. Very minimal, yet somehow has sex appeal.

Perfect example of how less can be more.
    Sexy isn't it?
    07-16-09 10:16 AM
    So it doesn't look like there is a slide out keyboard. I'm not complaining but I thought RIM patented this concept years ago. I for one still miss a real keyboard but realize the thickness (and weight) this would add to the storm... Not sure if its worth it. Maybe I should just wait for the Qwerty + touch screen BB if its ever coming out. I like my storm 1 but type way to much for it too be my ideal phone. Very curious...
    Storm 2 is all touch just like Storm 1...

Think of it as Storm 1 with Wifi... more memory... and new screen design...
    Evolution, not revolution... but bad *** and sexy none the less!

I can't wait...
    07-16-09 10:17 AM

And yes that's a fact...
    badly worded on my part. more specifically the better versions of os 5 on storm 1. if that provides a similar overall user experience as the new storm then it could be enough for some storm users to stay put...at least until lte is out.
    07-16-09 10:27 AM
    badly worded on my part. more specifically the better versions of os 5 on storm 1. if that provides a similar overall user experience as the new storm then it could be enough for some storm users to stay put...at least until lte is out.
    Ah I gotcha...

LTE is going to be a while though... I mean fromw hat I understand it won't be rolled out for all for a while yet...
    I think most Storm1 owners will upgrade to the Storm2 when it comes out... And some will switch back from the Tour to the Storm 2 I think...
    07-16-09 10:30 AM

And yes that's a fact...
    Hmm. Source?

Not saying I don't believe you, just I haven't seen the post/blog/etc that you did.

Thanks!
    07-16-09 10:37 AM
    Hmm. Source?

Not saying I don't believe you, just I haven't seen the post/blog/etc that you did.

Thanks!
    It's not been posted anywhere...
    But you can safely assume that's why the Storm 2 that engadget had didn't work... it's not because it was missing parts...
    07-16-09 10:44 AM
    It's not been posted anywhere...
    But you can safely assume that's why the Storm 2 that engadget had didn't work... it's not because it was missing parts...
    Hah, OK.

I know and understand why the OS WOULD be different, but hadn't heard much of anything from those "in the know."
    07-16-09 10:57 AM
    The latest software for the Storm 2 doesn't work on early S2 untis. You can bet it doesn't work on the first version
    07-16-09 11:38 AM
207 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD