Hello all,

I am very new to the world of blackberries. I am a T-Mobile user and I am getting an unlocked BB Storm 2 9550 phone. The person who is giving me the phone has the phone completely updated. I am just wondering if this phone will work without a BB data plan? I have a normal calling plan with tmobile, I also have unlimited texting, mms, and instant messaging with my plan. The phone i am currently using is the Samsung Behold. I want to make sure that i will be able to call/text/mms with the Storm 2 w/o a BB data plan. If i can do this, how do i go about setting up this phone to work with my tmobile sim card?

Also, can i still download games/apps and manually put them onto my phone and use them as long as they do not require the internet?

Finally, is it possible to use the WIFI on this phone to connect to my home internet w/o having a BB data plan?

Thanks!
    01-16-11 09:41 PM
    Yes it will work on T-mobile, and yes the wifi will work to browse the internet without bis, you just have to go into options -> Advanced Settings -> Browser and select hotspot browser. As far as the games maybe you can use desktop manager to install them but I'm not sure as I've never tried, sorry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by wh1tey; 01-16-11 at 11:11 PM.
    01-16-11 11:03 PM
    Here is a post I made in another thread. The directions will work on your 9550, which is what I have now. The only issue for you will be getting the service books with out a data plan, but you can download them and install manually. Just search the forum.

*2010-09-08*
    So, I spoke to a great guy with TMO RIM, and he provided detailed instructions for getting my 9530 to work on TMO. Even though it was working for the most part I wanted to make sure the settings were correct even though I never had to follow the instructions at the begining of the thread. Which according to RIM, and the instructions below are a little out of date, for TMO settings that is.
    Here is the email I was sent:

To set up data services (EDGE only) on the 9630, you can use the same settings as the Blackberry Storm (9500 series).

Switch To GSM/EDGE from default settings of 1X/EVDO:
    Menu> Options> Mobile Network> Network Technology> Change Network Technology to GSM/UMTS> Change network Mode to 2G

Register the Device to initiate Service Book downloads:
    Options> Advanced Options> Host Routing Table> Press Menu> Select Register Now
    MUST HAVE DATA SUBSCRITPION FOR SERVICE BOOKS TO DOWNLOAD

If necessary, service books can be sent via MyTmobile: (Email Service Books only)

1. Log into MyT-Mobile.com from computer
    2. Set the phone Model to Blackberry 8800 fromy T-Mobile
    3. Click the Link Set up Blackberry Internet Email or go to Conenct and Share and then Configure email
    4. Enter the PIN and IMEI
    **To fin PIN and IMEI go to Options and then Status
    5. Enter a VALID email address and Password (this is optional, if you don't want to set up email, select Cancel)
    6. On the Left Column select SERVICE BOOKS
    7. Send Service Books

Then cancel location in iHLR and pull battery. Leave out for approx 1 min and then power up.

Check Device APN:
    1. Options
    2. Adv. Options
    3. Select TCP:
    *APN: epc.tmobile.com
    * Username and Password BLANK
    4. Save Settings

Enable your browser:

Options> Adv options> Browser Settings> Set all browser settings to T-Mobile

Note: Default MDS Browser- may not be accessable on the first attempt. power off the device, cancel location, power on and check again.

Test Connections: you should now see new icons on the screen (They may say WAP)
    --
    THIS EMAIL IS USED FOR TROUBLESHOOTING PURPOSES, PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND ULESS OTHERWISE INSTRUCTED. THANK YOU.

***Update - 2010-09-13 - So this worked and it didn't. I was able to get all of the features working on my 9530, but could not get EDGE to last more than a few seconds (other posts include info on this issue as well) before going to edge. What did work though was upgrading the OS to 5.0.0.797, which seems to be the most current (leaked). I have had no issues at all, and the phone runs great. Typical issues with memory and battery, but much better than previous OS. Also, not sure if it matters but I did not change the APN settings to the above tmobile, but instead still have the verizon emgsm.vzw3g.com.
    01-17-11 12:44 PM
    Thanks for the help, I will try this when I get the phone

01-17-11 02:45 PM
    Hello all,

I am very new to the world of blackberries. I am a T-Mobile user and I am getting an unlocked BB Storm 2 9550 phone. The person who is giving me the phone has the phone completely updated. I am just wondering if this phone will work without a BB data plan? I have a normal calling plan with tmobile, I also have unlimited texting, mms, and instant messaging with my plan. The phone i am currently using is the Samsung Behold. I want to make sure that i will be able to call/text/mms with the Storm 2 w/o a BB data plan. If i can do this, how do i go about setting up this phone to work with my tmobile sim card?

Also, can i still download games/apps and manually put them onto my phone and use them as long as they do not require the internet?

Finally, is it possible to use the WIFI on this phone to connect to my home internet w/o having a BB data plan?

Thanks!
    You have to have a data plan on your acount. All cell providers require a data plan when it comes to smart phones. This way you can't play stupid when you get a 6 thousand dollar data bill..because you had no kind of data plan. You can't have a smart phone with out a data plan.

01-18-11 03:11 AM
    Here is a post I made in another thread. The directions will work on your 9550, which is what I have now. The only issue for you will be getting the service books with out a data plan, but you can download them and install manually. Just search the forum.

*2010-09-08*
    So, I spoke to a great guy with TMO RIM, and he provided detailed instructions for getting my 9530 to work on TMO. Even though it was working for the most part I wanted to make sure the settings were correct even though I never had to follow the instructions at the begining of the thread. Which according to RIM, and the instructions below are a little out of date, for TMO settings that is.
    Here is the email I was sent:

To set up data services (EDGE only) on the 9630, you can use the same settings as the Blackberry Storm (9500 series).

Switch To GSM/EDGE from default settings of 1X/EVDO:
    Menu> Options> Mobile Network> Network Technology> Change Network Technology to GSM/UMTS> Change network Mode to 2G

Register the Device to initiate Service Book downloads:
    Options> Advanced Options> Host Routing Table> Press Menu> Select Register Now
    MUST HAVE DATA SUBSCRITPION FOR SERVICE BOOKS TO DOWNLOAD

If necessary, service books can be sent via MyTmobile: (Email Service Books only)

1. Log into MyT-Mobile.com from computer
    2. Set the phone Model to Blackberry 8800 fromy T-Mobile
    3. Click the Link Set up Blackberry Internet Email or go to Conenct and Share and then Configure email
    4. Enter the PIN and IMEI
    **To fin PIN and IMEI go to Options and then Status
    5. Enter a VALID email address and Password (this is optional, if you don't want to set up email, select Cancel)
    6. On the Left Column select SERVICE BOOKS
    7. Send Service Books

Then cancel location in iHLR and pull battery. Leave out for approx 1 min and then power up.

Check Device APN:
    1. Options
    2. Adv. Options
    3. Select TCP:
    *APN: epc.tmobile.com
    * Username and Password BLANK
    4. Save Settings

Enable your browser:

Options> Adv options> Browser Settings> Set all browser settings to T-Mobile

Note: Default MDS Browser- may not be accessable on the first attempt. power off the device, cancel location, power on and check again.

Test Connections: you should now see new icons on the screen (They may say WAP)
    --
    THIS EMAIL IS USED FOR TROUBLESHOOTING PURPOSES, PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND ULESS OTHERWISE INSTRUCTED. THANK YOU.

***Update - 2010-09-13 - So this worked and it didn't. I was able to get all of the features working on my 9530, but could not get EDGE to last more than a few seconds (other posts include info on this issue as well) before going to edge. What did work though was upgrading the OS to 5.0.0.797, which seems to be the most current (leaked). I have had no issues at all, and the phone runs great. Typical issues with memory and battery, but much better than previous OS. Also, not sure if it matters but I did not change the APN settings to the above tmobile, but instead still have the verizon emgsm.vzw3g.com.
    The current OS is .1015

01-18-11 03:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD