New Verizon Storm2 OS build has been released as of today...

BlackBerry Device Software v5.0 Release 1656 (updated 11/24/2010)
    9550AMEA_PBr5.0.0_rel1656_PL4.2.0.442_A5.0.0.1015. exe

Download link

*Credit goes to RicanMedic78 for stumbling across this one tonight.

Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a new software update for
    your BlackBerry� Storm2™ smartphone. The BlackBerry 5.0.0
    Release 1656 (Platform 4.2.0.442/Applications 5.0.0.1015)
    update includes numerous enhancements and improvements.
    Verizon Wireless and BlackBerry encourage you to download
    this update.
    Improvements:
    + Boot up more quickly.
    + Transition smoothly between wireless coverage areas.
    + Deliver improved audio on:
     Voice calls.
     Content-protected video.
    + Deliver improved video playback:
     Through a headset.
     With media files designated as protected content.
    Enhancements:
    + Send text messages to multiple recipients while receiving a call.
    + Enter more than 160 characters in a text message when
    connected to a GSM/UMTS network.
    + Browse, download, and install widgets from V CAST Apps.
     New access to multiple widgets that provide users with quick
    access to Internet content of their choice.
    + Smoothly activate enterprise secure wipe/lock IT policy
    rule sets.*
    11-24-10 10:42 PM
    Wow great i just tried to see if it pops up in wireless ota but nothing.
    11-24-10 11:13 PM
    OTA sucks... just install it via Loader.exe. Do it the right way.
    11-24-10 11:34 PM
    Okay, ya got my attention. Still nothing on the OTA check for me.
    11-24-10 11:35 PM
    OTA sucks... just install it via Loader.exe. Do it the right way.
    I agree with you downloading now.
    11-25-10 12:03 AM
    Yay for Verizon, for releasing another pile of ****!

Seriously, how the "F" do they miss things like the flashing media player, broken bedside mode, broken Open GL, etc?

I'm so disappointed. I was hoping Verizon would pass on this one and we would get something at least halfway useful.

lame.

Edit: Wow, we can't even say p00p on here. Since when is that a dirty word?
    11-25-10 12:12 AM
    ^^^ I agree. Way too many bug for them to release it. It's not that a lot (if not all) weren't fixed. It's that new ones were introduced. RIM and Verizon testers need to do two things. One, read Crackberry Findings/Fixes threads on leaked OSs more. Two, they need to listen to us when we report these bugs directly and fix them instead of just saying "oh, we can't duplicate them" or "oh, we see that and we've added to the list of things to fix, but can't say what release that'll happen in". That's bullisht! 1100+ builds of OS5 (since this specific bug surfaced) and something as simple as reversed smiley faces for "Whew" and "Straight Face" is still not fixed? WTF?
    11-25-10 12:23 AM
    I just wish RIM and Verizon can hear us out and not ignore us you ****** Heads.
    Ok im good now lol.
    11-25-10 12:42 AM
    Is it at least better than VZ .713? .713 is okay in my book. Doesn't take much to please me.
    11-25-10 12:58 AM
    i was trying to compare and answer that very question myself when the verizon site came up as .1015
    11-25-10 01:01 AM
    I got a white screen with application error omg i'm going to reload this again just to be safe.
    11-25-10 01:08 AM
    At least they were able to get the robotic voice fixed...
    11-25-10 01:14 AM
    Is it at least better than VZ .713? .713 is okay in my book. Doesn't take much to please me.
    Would like to know this as well.

Oh and what's the bedside mode problem?
    11-25-10 01:19 AM
    And now when you start playing music via headphones you get your ears blown out by a speaker pop that happens when the port gets powered up.

Wow Verizon... You blow at testing. You should have listened to us when we saw your leak 3 weeks ago and failed it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-10 01:30 AM
    And now when you start playing music via headphones you get your ears blown out by a speaker pop that happens when the port gets powered up.

Wow Verizon... You blow at testing. You should have listened to us when we saw your leak 3 weeks ago and failed it.

Fantastic...the popping is there too? Um yeah, I'm skipping this one again. I seriously don't get it. The bugs in this OS can be found in less than five minutes by an average (or less) user, but RIM released this to the carriers and Verizon tested it for weeks? And nobody notices this isht?

Seriously, the next Storm better have QNX on it, it better work correctly, and RIM better get rid of the truncated email garbage (and some other things) or I'm going to do the unthinkable and jump to another platform.
    11-25-10 04:20 AM
    I have a fix for the flashing media bar problem if anyone is interested.

11-25-10 04:40 AM
    something as simple as reversed smiley faces for "Whew" and "Straight Face" is still not fixed? WTF?
    As minute as this bug is, it is by far the most annoying to me...

I've been a really die-hard blackberry user/fan, but if RIM/Verizon doesn't get their sh!t together, I'm gonna bounce on over to an Android phone. I really don't want to, but this is getting ridiculous.
    11-25-10 04:40 AM
    Fantastic...the popping is there too? Um yeah, I'm skipping this one again. I seriously don't get it. The bugs in this OS can be found in less than five minutes by an average (or less) user, but RIM released this to the carriers and Verizon tested it for weeks? And nobody notices this isht?

Seriously, the next Storm better have QNX on it, it better work correctly, and RIM better get rid of the truncated email garbage (and some other things) or I'm going to do the unthinkable and jump to another platform.
    Why is it unthinkable? Just make the jump. I did. Sorta. Half a jump. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab with a voice/data plan and it's very much a pleasure to use it for media, browsing and work purposes (if you can afford to take it slow).

However it is much faster to navigate the BB OS and to hammer down schedules/tasks/notes and SMS/e-mail. Okay, so those few seconds shaved off are not going to make or break a million dollar contractual agreement for me, but with a tight schedule it helps a lot to keep myself focused through the day, getting new assignments along the way and profiling them in the appropriate categories pretty quickly. Trying to do that on the Tab breaks my momentum sometimes and leads to certain degree of frustration, and it's not because I'm unfamiliar with Android OS. It's worse for iOS.

However if your work doesn't revolve around a strangling schedule, I'm going to say an Android based device will be more suitable for you than the iPhone. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Derwent Graphite; 11-25-10 at 04:50 AM.
    11-25-10 04:47 AM
    Again is this for both 9550 and 9520?
    11-25-10 07:03 AM
    9550 only the 9520 has a different os
    11-25-10 07:11 AM
    Ok, well I guess I'll wait out the 100 years for a 9520 OS upgrade.
    11-25-10 07:13 AM
    Ok, well I guess I'll wait out the 100 years for a 9520 OS upgrade.
    check out the leaked os forum i thought there was a leaked version for the 9520, not sure though
    11-25-10 07:34 AM
    The broken 'Bedside Mode' made me RAGE. There is a slight pop fizz when plugging in headphones, but I've always had that. It didn't blow out my ear drums or anything.

What really makes me mad is that I haven't had time to read about leaks or anything, and I casually browse to CB and see an official release and decide to install it, being that it's official. I would not have installed this if I would have known about the bedside mode being broke. I'll be reverting back when I get some time. What a pita!
    Last edited by RedlegOIF; 11-25-10 at 07:52 AM.
    11-25-10 07:44 AM
    The broken 'Bedside Mode' made me RAGE. There is a slight pop fizz when plugging in headphones, but I've always had that. It didn't blow out my ear drums or anything.

What really makes me mad is that I haven't had time to read about leaks or anything, and I casually browse to CB and see an official release and decide to install it, being that it's official. I would not have installed this if I would have known about the bedside mode being broke. I'll be reverting back when I get some time. What a pita!
    Not sure why people get so angry about these things...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f224/95...de-fix-541002/
    DoctorNeutron likes this.
    11-25-10 08:04 AM
    was just about to post that , load that fix via bbsak , works on this os as well, i have been running .1015 since the leak, only experience the pop before a ring occasionally and it only happens in ringtones i loaded, as for the black bar i dont see that. so far i think this os it tops compared to the rest, BUT this is only my opinion.
    Last edited by joe_fresh; 11-25-10 at 08:12 AM.
    11-25-10 08:09 AM
430 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD