Hey guys,
    I'm pretty new to blackberries, (windows mobile convert) and i just have a quick question about the phone.

I recently got a 8520 from T-Mobile and Unlocked.
    I use Fido (Rogers) in Canada and under the Manage Connections and Service Status. My Mobile Voice Status is roaming. Connection is mobile network.
    It also says my Mobile Network Provider is Fido.

I am abit concerned about the "roaming" cause i haven't went anywhere that i usually don't. i don't want to paying alot more then i have to since all i have is IM and email for my phone. It would suck if i got a bill for "roaming data"

So i am just wondering if thats normal ? and what your guys phone says under Mobile Voice Status ?

Thanks guys! and hopefully i can return the favor in the future once i learn more about blackberries.
    10-12-09 04:24 PM
    Ya that doesn't sound right. I am on Rogers and my 8520 is Rogers branded. It does not say roaming it says "available".

What does yours say further down the list for Mobile Network Provider?

Maybe this has to do with it being unlocked. Do you have the proper service books sent to your phone from Fido and a proper BB plan?
    10-12-09 07:06 PM
    Ya that doesn't sound right. I am on Rogers and my 8520 is Rogers branded. It does not say roaming it says "available".

What does yours say further down the list for Mobile Network Provider?

Maybe this has to do with it being unlocked. Do you have the proper service books sent to your phone from Fido and a proper BB plan?

As stated above, it says
    Mobile Network Provider: Fido
    so i dunno ?
    i have asked people with tours on telus/bell and theirs said "available"
    also asked people with 8900's on rogers and theirs says "available"

BUT a friend of mine who has an unlocked 8900, also being used with fido says "roaming" she has gotten her first bill with the phone and says that it was fine, so hopefully it will be for me also.

yeah, i called fido to add a "Personal E-mail on BlackBerry" the rep even asked if i was using an unlocked blackberry, which i said yes. so i should have the proper BB plan.

well i'm going back to my Samsung Jack for 2 weeks till i get my bill and see whats up with it so excited to use a blackberry tooo
    10-12-09 10:08 PM
    Fido can't tell you if you are wracking up charges when you phone in?
    10-13-09 02:06 PM
    not to sure but this could have something to do with the fact that fido is actually using rogers network?
    10-13-09 03:32 PM
    just called them in, they said its fine and that im not racking up any data charges.

side story: my sister thought it was a weekend yesterday due to Canadian thanksgiving, went over $20 sigh*
    10-13-09 05:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD